Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Copy to ISO 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Copy to ISO 11.04

If you want to copy a cd to an iso file. Start Brasero, select disk copy. Make sure your disk is in the drive and select disk to copy to and change that to iso. click property and name your iso
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by dFlyer View Post
    Do I understand you correctly, you want to create an iso from a cd?
    Yes sir! Please tell me you have wisdom and insight in this matter in 11.04!

Beans
    Distro

Could you please provide a screenshot of the afrementioned instructions in which ISO is an option.

I don't mean to be dense, but I can not find ISO as an option to write to.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Drate View Post
    When performing the above instructions for K3B, what I get is a folder called "k3bCdCopy0" with all the files inside, I do not get an ISO.

My apologies, i thought it wrote an iso.

However, you can now make an iso out of that folder with the command

Code:
    mkisofs -o /path/to/directory/cd.iso /path/to/directory/
    Not as clean as you would have hoped... Im sure there must be a simpler way but this will get u going in meantime.

Beans
    Distro

Ah, thank you, I'll try that method soon as a work around, but I will also continue searching for an answer as to how to make bit for bit images of a CD. It is an important function in my work.

And for those who might be wondering, it is not movie ripping, in this specific case, I was needing to make available for download a CD of unmastered music to my Uncle so he could review prior to having the CD sent off for final mastering.

Beans
    Distro

While trying a different type of DISC (a movie DVD instead of an audio CD, purely for testing, I did not actually complete the action, thus no infringement of DMCA), I opened up Brasero and ISO is the ONLY option.

So it's apparently noting the type of media and allowing only certain selections based on that type.

Beans

You may also want to try "AcetoneISO", which has the option "Generate ISO from CD/DVD"
    Ryzen 7 5800X / Alpenfohn Gletschewasser 280 / Gigabyte X570S Aero G / 32GB 4000MHz C16 Team Group X-treem /
    Gigabyte RTX4080 Aero OC / 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / Asus Loki 1kW / Lian-Li O11D Mini / Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo / Win11 / Kubuntu 23.04

Beans
    Distro

I just installed and tried it, and when you goto start the job, it pops up a message stating that it will be creating a TOC/IMG that can not be mounted or read in any way (it's words, not mine), so on and so forth, but ultimately, is not an ISO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Drate View Post
    I can find no way to copy a cd to ISO in 11.04, either GUI or CLI.

Brasero does not have .iso option though the brasero-cdrkit is installed and is latest version.

Evidently the /dev/cdrom is no longer used? I'm not sure what's going on there but anytime I try to use dd or cat I get and Input/Output error.

Can anybody help shed some light for me here?
    So you want to rip a cd into mp3s (or something like lossless if you want crystal quality etc), so you can send them to your cousin?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CDRipping

Terminology can be a real pain sometimes.

Beans
    Distro

I appreciate your response, it is good to be watching for opportunities to help and of course the more eyes watching the better the likelihood that the needs of the Original Poster will be met; but no, I am not wanting to rip a CD into MP3s.

My intention was to do exactly this: to take an audio CD (comprised of about 16 .wav files of unmastered music), then copy the CD to an ISO image, at which point I was going to make it available for download on my home website that I maintain for just such an occasion (yeah, I'm that kind of dork), thus allowing my Uncle to download the ISO, right click it, and do a "write image to disk", which is super simple, thus, less room for error.

Instead what I had to do was send him a zip of the files, and have him unzip it, at which point he had to use some other third party program to burn the files into an audio cd. Which ultimately worked out fine, but you can see where right-click -> burn would be much simpler than unzip -> open third party program -> navigate program to burn feature -> burn.

Also, it is quite frustrating that a common tool for linux users is not being as simple to use (or else I am missing some fundamental step) as it has been for some years previous. Though I'd like to point out that the job Canonical and the Developer Community have been doing is just brilliant. This is one power user's present gripe about one issue.

I would have been happy to do a Disk Dump, but even dd is failing me at this point. I have tried this on two different machines. I am gathering that /dev/sr0 represents the CDROM based on dmesg output, but I keep getting I/O errors when I try to execute a

Code:
    dd if=/dev/sr0 of=./test.iso
    So at this point I'm honestly stumped. I can't seem to make a bit for bit image of my discs, and also I cannot seem to point Wine to a cd drive (which prevents me from using, say, Infrarecorder).

Honestly, I could create an interface to handle using DD if I could just find out what device to point dd (or wine) to that would work.

I just was trying to avoid saying all of that because it tends to muddy the issue, which is: I can't rip to ISO.

But seriously, I'm excited about the prompt and informative responses, and appreciate all the attention and time taken thus far.
    Last edited by Drate; June 5th, 2011 at 06:33 PM. Reason: credit where credit is due

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast