Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Copy to ISO 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Copy to ISO 11.04

AHA (sort of)! Apparently the issue is that I am specifically working with an audio cd.

I am gathering that Movie DVD's will have issues of there own as well.

But when working with a regular Data Disc (specifically puppy linux 525) I had NONE OF THE DESCRIBED ORIGINAL ISSUES.

Disk Dump works, Brasero works, Infrarecorder works (under wine).

Now I just have to figure out how to work around this audio cd business... I suppose I can mark this thread as solved as I can in fact copy a cd to ISO file now, just not ANY cd.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Drate View Post
    AHA (sort of)! Apparently the issue is that I am specifically working with an audio cd.

I am gathering that Movie DVD's will have issues of there own as well.

But when working with a regular Data Disc (specifically puppy linux 525) I had NONE OF THE DESCRIBED ORIGINAL ISSUES.

Disk Dump works, Brasero works, Infrarecorder works (under wine).

Now I just have to figure out how to work around this audio cd business... I suppose I can mark this thread as solved as I can in fact copy a cd to ISO file now, just not ANY cd.
    curious. Looks like that the devs just didnt think audio-->iso was a necessary option anymore.

Modern desktop OS's (of all flavours) are generally able to rip and burn audio cd's seamlessly without ever having to see or worry about the image files so if my assertion is correct you can understand their reasoning but why remove it rather than just hiding it away somewhere? maybe there is a configuration option hidden in the darkest depths somewhere???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Oh, if I really felt like monkeying around with how the CDROM is mounted I'm sure I could. But I try to work within the default and recommended environments as much as possible. Of course, having said that, I am curious how one might temporarily alter the way the CD is viewed for purposes of creating "an app for that".

The most curious part, though, is that "dd" didn't work. I have verified that /dev/cdrom still refers to the CD, so why was I getting an I/O error? My only guess is that it could be an attempt to build in a security measure against the illegal use of ripping CD's and DVD's. If that is the case I have to both applaud and be frustrated with the developers. Perhaps in the future, when they have some downtime from all the other uber-awesome things they do, they might put in some way to check if the disc is intended to be copy protected or not? Perhaps that is not possible with the way audio CD's are made?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123