Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will Ubuntu be the first distro to eliminate the command line?

Beans
    Hidden!

Will Ubuntu be the first distro to eliminate the command line?

I've been using Ubuntu for almost a year now and I've never memorized any commands, there's just too many. I find that I can already do almost everything with GUI, and whenever I might need to use the command line, I always have to ask on the forum which is a bit annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Will Ubuntu be the first distro to eliminate the command line?

You can do most of the things without using command line.
    The users give instructions as commands because it is way faster.
    And also, if they take my command line away, I am moving to Gentoo .

If it helps: http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php
    Last edited by cgroza; June 4th, 2011 at 01:30 PM.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Zero2Nine Guest

I hope not. It should be available to those who want to use it. Ubuntu is (and should remain) for everyone, Linuxnoobs AND professionals.

Zero2Nine Guest

When does a new user really NEED (so when there is no graphical alternative) the command line anyway?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What sparked off this topic? Have Canonical said they're going to be doing away with the command line? I think this would be silly, and rather pointless: I'd just go to Synaptic or the Software Centre or wherever and install a terminal app.

Why would anyone want to do away with the command-line anyway? If someone doesn't want to use it, then fine: don't use it. But some of us find that it's better than the GUI for some tasks. And I doubt it takes up much room on the installation CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero2Nine View Post
    When does a new user really NEED (so when there is no graphical alternative) the command line anyway?
    It's not a question of need, it's preference.
    Last edited by t0p; June 4th, 2011 at 01:46 PM.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I've also been using Ubuntu for almost a year now, and I'm very happy that the command-line is there. I don't think it will ever go away, it's far too useful.

Also, when looking for a fix for a bug, it's very handy when it's simply a command or two, rather than "so, look in this menu, and call up that dialogue box, and choose that tab, change this textbox to say so-and-so... and then look in some other menu... etc". There is more than one way to do everything, and I hope it stays that way!

Zero2Nine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post

It's not a question of need, it's preference.
    That's my point, and that is why I ask when one would really need the command line. Just to point out that in the current situation you can live very well without the command line already. So no need to remove it as users who desire to avoid the terminal can. We were saying basically the same

Beans
    Hidden!

I think most new users don't realize it exists! If Linux wants to compete with Windows, then it ought to emulate Windows in terms of the GUI and basic functions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by brawnypandora0 View Post
    I think most new users don't realize it exists! If Linux wants to compete with Windows, then it ought to emulate Windows in terms of the GUI and basic functions.
    I fail to see how you're backing up the position that it should therefore be removed. Losing the command-line is a loss of functionality, not progress!

Beans

They almost can't eliminate the command line. Even Windows has a command line. When it comes down to it, it's useful to command a computer in text form. You can't easily automate clicky-tasks, but I can write a script of text commands and have my computer do that while I'm away.

It would be very silly.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast