Thread: Always locked out after 5 minutes

Beans

Always locked out after 5 minutes

I am running Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Natty Narwhal. When my mouse is not moved for 5 minutes the screen fades out and I need to enter my password in order to log back in. I have tried to increase the timer because 5 minutes is very short when watching movies. It seems like it should be in the screensaver window where I have Regard computer idle after set to 1 hour, activate screensaver on idle checked, and lock screen when screensaver is active unckecked. I also went to the power management window, and I have put computer to sleep when inactive for never, spin down hard disks when possible unchecked, and put display to sleep when inactive for never.

With these settings, it seems like the computer should go to screen saver after an hour and not require a password to log back in. Instead I get no screensaver, and I am locked out after 5 minutes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Always locked out after 5 minutes

MAy I suggest you set the regard screen as idle after 2 hours, uncheck activate screen saver, uncheck lock screen when screensaver active. then go to power management, put computer to sleep never, don't spin down hard drives, put screen to sleep never, then click on make default and enter sudo password... see what happens

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You possibly need to change the screen saver settings

go to system settings then screensaver and you will find the settings

You may also like to look at power management

To find the power management

go to system settings then power management and you will find the display settings.

However, why does the screen saver kick in when you are watching a movie? Which media player do you use? I use smplayer to watch films (very very good) and don't have this problem (my screensaver is set to the default 5 mins).

Beans

The only changes from what I had previously were to adjust the slide to 2 hours up from 1 hour and to unchecked activate screen saver when idle, and I saved changes by hitting make default, but The screen still fades to black and locks me out after 5 minutes. I am watching videos online in firefox not videos on my computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

If you hit default when you tried to save, the settings reverted back to default so you have to do it again. This time do not hit default.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Bouwense View Post
    If you hit default when you tried to save, the settings reverted back to default so you have to do it again. This time do not hit default.
    There is an option to make your new settings default by choosing that option and entering your password . This is not working for the OP.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Crap!! I looked at it again and it sure does. The first time I looked I could have swore it said default. Sorry. Here have some

Beans

Bump. This seems like a really simple thing, I don't see why the settings aren't working.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This might be one of those cases where you make the changes, then log out and back in for them to take effect?
    Ubuntu 12.04 for personal use
    Solaris 9, 10 and Red Hat Ent 5 @ work