Thread: vinyl to disc

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation vinyl to disc

I have a number of records I wish to record to disc.
    I am wondering of its possible with Ubuntu. I have the AV labs music studio hardware that can be plugged in to usb and am wondering if its usable. A quick plug-in looks like it might need software to make it work.
    A look through the software available does not give much hope, but maybe something will do the job. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: vinyl to disc

I use audacity.

Put the record on, press record.

When it's done, split the tracks and lable them. I's labourious but it works.

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks guys.
    I have rigged up an old laptop with the necessary drivers for the AVLabs hardware. This means I record to that then transfer the file to my Ubuntu Studio desktop to work with them using Audacity.
    It was interesting to note that when I queried AV Labs support about drivers and software needed they suggested Audacity. I have found it very intuitive and it has produced very good reproduction.
    As my sound system is in the lounge and my main computer in a different room I will continue to use the laptop to record for now.
    It would be better if I could get the drivers to work in Ubuntu as the laptop does not have a good sound -in connection, but does have USB.
    I don't think the Ndiswrapper would work as I don't think the device is NDIS based. If any one knows different please yell. I checked the ndiswrapper site by the way, and no luck.