Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wish to swap Windows for Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Question Wish to swap Windows for Ubuntu

I have a slow Compaq which came out of Antique town in the Windows 98 period. It has a 900 MHz AMD cpu and 256 Megs memory. It runs fine with XP. I would like to upgrade is as Windows XP is too slow. Everything works fine, but after testing Ubuntu on my newer laptop I am thinking I would like to install Ubuntu on it.

I am new at this sort of thing for I have always used Windows. This is a step up from the Windows programming for my laptop but would it be possible to run a Linux based O/S. I like Ubuntu but I want the best for my desktop.

Any Suggestions? Problems, Feedback, please?

Regards,

John
    Which is true?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Wish to swap Windows for Ubuntu

Installing Ubuntu is very easy, just boot the CD and follow a very very simple installation guide.

For your system I'd recommend giving Lubuntu a try, it's a very lightweight derivate of Ubuntu and suits older or weak machines.

See http://www.lubuntu.net/ for more information.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Welcome John. 256 MBs might be a little problem but you can only try. Download Ubuntu and burn the ISO to a CD. Change the boot order on your computer to boot from your CD drive first, pop the CD in the tray, and boot up. What you have created is called a live CD. You can try it without making a change to your computer. Make sure that you choose that option. If everything works then go a head and install. I would play around with it for a while because there are other Linux distros you can try, Xubuntu which might be a better fit for your old computer or even Lubuntu, both of which are based on Ubuntu. Enjoy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you manage to get it installed, you are not going to be happy with 256m memory. I would upgrade memory to at least 512m. Either that, or try a lighter distro.
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans
    Distro

Smile Re: Wish to swap Windows for Ubuntu

Ok, a lighter installation. Would an older version of Lubuntu or Xbuntu be more stable than the newest, buggy ones; and, how about the desktop? I am confused by Gnome, KDE, and Unity because I am so new at this. I occasionally download an Application on Unity and have it not work.

I would like to have as many pluses as I can get because I don't want to download packages that don't work on at least one computer.

Ubuntu isn't an O/S; It is a new language!
    Which is true?

Beans
    Distro

If you want a really stable version download 10.04. It is a LTS which means it will be supported for three years. It was released in April 2010 and will be supported until April 2013. The bugs are pretty much worked out of it. That would be the one that I would download. Try Ubuntu first and then if that doesn't work try Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I believe Linux Mint XFCE Debian would be a great choice. It uses about 114MB of ram after boot up. They say 256MB is the system requirement as well. It looks quite modern too:http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

Beans
    Distro

I think the live CD is a great idea. I will also look into the rest of the suggestions.

Awesome getting these replies.
    Which is true?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

just a little off topic, installing on notebooks, I have have much better luck using a memory stick, flash drive, or whatever you call it. last one I bought I spent $15 on 8 Gig, and I use the heck out of it.

only question is whether that old BIOS will support booting from USB, check your setup utility.

Beans
    Distro

John, since you are new you may not know some things so these may prove of interest.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
    If you run into problems just post your problem or question here and someone will be happy to provide assistance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast