Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi to all n I need more info and help PLZZZZ

Beans

Hi to all n I need more info and help PLZZZZ

Hi to everyone

well since this afternoon whatever little bit I've read about ubuntu, I'm kind of excited ... but frankly speaking I'm still not sure what is Ubuntu :$

So far what i'm able to understand is ubuntu is kind of operating system just like windows 7 etc., and this is why since this afternoon I've been trying to download this new thing on my laptop with a high hope that it will not harm my precious laptop (as I have this only one companioning)., I'm new here so I'll need you guys help at many occasions so in advance I apologizes U for the trouble. Now coming to questions which I have in my mind.

1) As I said I'm newbie to this site / forum / platform / OS, and I've been trying to install the same on my laptop by using the option "run it with windows" but after downloading the first file it is taking so long to me to download rest of the part which I believe is about 700 mb so i run around here and there and i found that I can download desktop ISO and then i can install it on my laptop, but i'm still confused because it says i have to have wubi.exe + desktop ISO (dose this mean wubi.exe is the file which i already have??) and desktop ISO i'm downloading?? is this will help me to install ubuntu?

2) Ubuntu is part of google? Or wkipedia?

Please do reply me but in easiest way as I'm not that smart sorry to trouble you guys .... looking forward to hear from U guys soon.

Best Regards,
    smiles, cares, prayers.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Hi to all n I need more info and help PLZZZZ

Welcome to the forums. Yes Ubuntu is a Linux operating system. There are several ways to install it on your computer, inside Microsoft Windows using WUBI, along side of Microsoft Widows as what is sometimes called a dual boot, and as the only operating system on your computer. Since you know very little about the system, perhaps you should download the ISO from here:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download
    Then you can make a bootable CD or flash drive with Ubuntu on it. That web site will explain how to do all of that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, I agree. Before you do anything go to the Ubuntu web site http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download and read all you can about installing a system. I highly recommend you download the live desktop cd and try Ubuntu before installing it on your system.

Once you have read and decided what your going to do, the first thing you need to do is backup all the information/data you don't want to loose before you attempt to install Ubuntu.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans

Thank you everyone for the below suggestion I'm glad that I'm welcomed in the family ))

Now finally I got my Ubuntu on my laptop and I was roaming around on Youtube where I found some very cool effects which are done by the users. How can I do the same thing? I did some search on my own and I found that I need to have Compiz (I guess??) So how do I install that?? + What are the specification n requirements? And yes while doing little search on my own I found that I need to have graphic card on my laptop. So how can I check which graphic card I have and what other things I need to do.

Appreciate your kind and quick reply.

Tons of thanks in advance !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MYEM View Post
    Thank you everyone for the below suggestion I'm glad that I'm welcomed in the family ))

Now finally I got my Ubuntu on my laptop and I was roaming around on Youtube where I found some very cool effects which are done by the users. How can I do the same thing? I did some search on my own and I found that I need to have Compiz (I guess??) So how do I install that?? + What are the specification n requirements? And yes while doing little search on my own I found that I need to have graphic card on my laptop. So how can I check which graphic card I have and what other things I need to do.

Hi, need to know what version of ubuntu you are using? it requires a different guide for natty or you will break natty. You can install ccsm that is the configuration manager for compiz to get the cube and more. You use synaptic and also install all the plugins including fusion.If you have unity desktop then you should be able to handle the cube as far as graphics go.It require 3d.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by MYEM View Post

Hi, you can run this command
    Code:
    lspci
    from a terminal to find out what card you have, if you do not understand the out put post it here and we can look at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi there, I would recommend running from a live CD. I did this for a few weeks before I installed Ubuntu on my HDD, just to be sure that it was what I wanted. To do this, download the Ubuntu iso from the Ubuntu website (try 11.04, or for a more tested and mature environment try 10.10, or even 10.04). Burn this to a CD, stick it in your CD drive and reboot. You should get an option to install Ubuntu, or run from the live CD. Try live, and if you still like it in a week or two, go ahead and install it! If you don't want to completely get rid of Windows (I didn't, I still have 7 installed for emergencies), try dual booting. This website is incredibly helpful, and fairly straightforward:
    lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony
    As for Ubuntu being part of Google or Wikipedia? No, Ubuntu is free and open source software. This is similar to Wikipedia, which is open source and user-created, but different to Google, which is closed source. Ubuntu is sponsored by Canonical, which is a private organisation, but which has no ties to Wikipedia or Google.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi MYEM

There is a saying in the English language: "Walk before you can run." One day ago you did not even know what Ubuntu was. Now you want to do all kinds of "cool stuff" to your operating system.

Please, browse the posts on these forums and note how easy it is for us to break an operating system if we do not know what we are doing. And do not forget that it was you that said:

as I'm not that smart
    The information is available. There are tutorials and guides. There are few easy fixes when things get broken.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    You use synaptic
    seriously, synaptic for a newcommer to another OS? why not introduce them to the user friendly Ubuntu software center?

---

Google servers run on Ubuntu (modified version of it) and they probably cooperate in development. but that is about it in their connections i guess.

oh yes how true. learn to walk before you run.

terminal is not necessary, as there is system info available in graphical interface.

what verison did you install? i would suggest the LTS 10.04 as it has a nice free manual available (see my siganture) and is more stable.

for latest version 11.04 you would have to do some internet search. this page has some quick and short information on various basic things in ubuntu 11.04: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Google servers run on Ubuntu (modified version of it) and they probably cooperate in development.
    This is true. Goobuntu isn't it? And I agree, Ubuntu Software Centre is much more user friendly to a newbie (such as myself) than sudo apt-get (but probably less powerful).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast