Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: huge problem with evolution email

Beans

huge problem with evolution email

Having been screwed once too often by Comcast, I switched servers to Qwest broadband, but now find that the Ubuntu (Evolution) email system apparently CANNOT be configured to operate with Qwest. (I have been told this by three separate Qwest tech support people and have myself been struggling with the associated problems for nearly 12 hours. Worse, the address-book protocols of the Quest email system are impossibly difficult to figure out.)

Is there anyone who can PLEASE help with the Ubuntu/Evolution problem?

My obvious preference is to continue using Evolution.

Loren Bliss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: huge problem with evolution email

you are assuming everyone knows the settings of Qwest broadband.

Evolution is just another e-mail client (that is not much different than MS Outlook) that connects to emails server and then reads them. Now unless they use some special custom made email server then it should connect just fine.

what can not be configured? what doesn't work? Are there any error messages? what port is Qwest using for emails? did you set the correct port? ... address book is usually stored on your computer and doesn't have much to do with ISP.

Also you can try Thunderbird see if that one works. But i don't think it's the email client that is a problem here.

As an alternative you could create a gmail account and just use that.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

I have the broadband settings from Qwest (incoming, outgoing addresses and port numbers), and have repeatedly reconfigured Evolution accordingly (preferences > edit > mail preferences). Butd the Quest tech reps say what I am trying to do is impossible because Evolution is not on their list of approved e-mail systems. (Comcast made the same claim, but Evolution nevertheless functioned quite adequately with Comcast email..)

As to the e-mail questions links, for which thanks, I already tried that too: nobody could help.

I'm beginning to suspect the Qwest tech reps are correct.

In any case I've done everything according to the Evolution "Helps" and absolutely nothing works: I can neither send nor receive in Evolution.

Thanks; hope this additional information will make my question clearer.

Beans

I've been at this accursed task since 9:30 this morning and am suffering from a bad case of burnout, not to mention boiling rage and wrenching frustration. It is now 10 minutes to 1 a.m. -- a 15-hour struggle that has thus far produced only total failure. Hence I'm going to stay aboard only for about five more minutes before I go to bed, so will be unable to reply to anyone until tomorrow. Meanwhile thanks.

LB

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you have a link to Qwest's page on setting up mail clients or can you copy it here?
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

give Thunderbird (another e-mail client) a try. just to see if it connects.

what are Qwest supported email clients then?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

Quest says they support Outlook, Outlook Express (both of which I've used) and several other NON-open-source systems, but they support NO open-source email systems. (Bill Gates strikes again!) Qwest's recommendation for those who do not want to use Qwest email is to go to G Mail.

Actually of the total of five Qwest tech reps with whom I spoke yesterday (all of them based somewhere east of the Dardanelles), only one had even heard of Evolution, and two had never heard of Ubuntu.

My supposition -- the reason I kept calling the tech support people -- was that more than just the internal addresses (mail.q.com and smtp.q.com) and the port numbers (110 and 587 respectively) need to be changed to make Evolution interface with Qwest. But apparently nobody either here or at Qwest can tell me what or how.

Obviously -- given the lack of responses here too -- I'm damn well on my own. This is a genuine disaster in that it costs me not only my address book but about 1500 pieces of email, all of which are in Evolution. About a third of these involve ongoing discussions, but the fact they cannot be copy/pasted into the Qwest system imposes a huge clerical burden the wrenching tedium of which spikes my blood pressure just by thinking about it. (I've already learned Quest's email matrix won't accept pastes from Evolution, which means anything I'm replying to will have to be typed -- odiously clerk-and-typist typed -- into the Qwest email form.)

Such is the fate of open-source software users in a proprietary, Ayn-Rand capitalist world.

Since mating Evolution with Qwest is clearly a lost cause, I might as well put on my writer/editor hat -- 55 years total experience -- and insult everybody (nothing personal) by pointing out the use of "client" in the context within which we are speaking is a classic example of the kind of Nurd malapropisms that drive non-Nurdish populations berserk.

A "client" -- look it up in Webster -- is "a person or company who engages the professional advice or services of another"; alternate definitions are "one who is under the protection of another" (as in a "client state" or a "welfare client"), or one who is "a customer." By no stretch of logic or (normal) imagination can this be twisted to apply to PC email software designed to function in tandem with (and thereby offer certain advantages beyond) the email provided by one's ISP.

Such arbitrarily misappropriated and thus misused words are incomprehensible to those of us who respect English and try to avoid its post-modern form, a language in which --given the postmodern notion meaning is never more than subjective -- anything can mean anything. The resultant language gap -- the fact Nurdish arbitrarily assigns to words meanings that have absolutely no relationship to their original definitions -- is THE reason so much about computers remains forever incomprehensible to people of my generation.

Not only do these linguistic travesties thus stubbornly remain beyond logical understanding; they also elude even intuitive grasp.

We geezers are not stupid; we have merely escaped the implicit schizophrenia of post-modernism.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sorry to hear you're having such a time with Qwest. It sounds like the Qwest tech support staff don't stray from their scripts for good reason. It's pretty quick to set up Thunderbird; it's in the repositories. There are screens in Thunderbird to select or deselect various encryption standards. If you could get Thunderbird to send and receive emails, you could perhaps check those against Evolution. If you're unable to get Evolution to eventually connect, Is there any chance you could export your messages and address book from Evolution to some sort of neutral format then import them into Thunderbird? One thing you may have in your favor with Thunderbird is that it's used in Windows as well as Mac & Linux so perhaps the support types have heard of it.

Beans
    Hidden!

I am not familiar with Qwest setup as I tend to shy away from companies that cannot service what they sell.
    You can export your email,contacts and calenders to Gmail.Hint...in the future always save copies in two places.
    Last edited by jtarin; May 31st, 2011 at 09:08 PM.
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast