Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't enable Visual Effects

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Can't enable Visual Effects

Quote Originally Posted by AngelAir View Post
    Hello and again thank you for your help.

My system is an eMachines W3115 with an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU. The OS is Ubuntu 10.10 64bit, GNOME 2.32.0. ?? Logge into Ubuntu Classic? ??
    Hi, my nvivdia card is the 6150, I think you should activate the 173 or if you have the 185 and it worked at one time try that one,because the new driver has been causing problems,make sure you have only one active by going into synaptic and put nividia in the search box.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; June 1st, 2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    Hi, have you went to synaptic and installed ccsm and all plugins including fusion?
    hello,
    i'm new in linux os also computer, i have Thinkpad T420 with Win7, recently i install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64Bits, and i cannot connect to internet, i get on network manager applet: "no network devices available", also Ubunto cannot detect any hardware, just i have sound.
    so please can u teach me how to do, please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by fetbec View Post
    hello,
    i'm new in linux os also computer, i have Thinkpad T420 with Win7, recently i install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64Bits, and i cannot connect to internet, i get on network manager applet: "no network devices available", also Ubunto cannot detect any hardware, just i have sound.
    so please can u teach me how to do, please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi, you will be able to get more help if you start your own thread by clicking networking and wireless and post there by clicking new thread.That is back a the forums main page.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hello and again thank you for your help.

My system is an eMachines W3115 with an NVIDIA GeForce 6100 GPU. The OS is Ubuntu 10.10 64bit, GNOME 2.32.0. ?? Logge into Ubuntu Classic? ??
    Hi, I installed the new 270 driver again a few minutes ago because I was told it was fixed but it is not when I stalled it I got the same white or blank windows that you have so go to synaptic and uninstall 270 and reinstall the 173 then restart.

Beans

Sorry that it took so long to answer; but, ran into problems.

I went to SPM to look for the Nvidia drivers: 173 and 185. Tried first the 185 (Screenshot-4). I tried enabling everything that said 185. Rebooted the system then tried to enable VEs to Normal. Got a message that stated that the VEs could not be enabled. Checked in the Additional Drivers. The nvidia_current drivers were activated but not in use. The NVIDIA X Server Settings showed that the 270.41.19 was still being used.

Un-installed all the nvidia drivers from SPM and rebooted the system. The system only booted to tty. I was lost. Redid the steps to install the 270.
    Was able to log back into system to wright and tell you what happen.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Sorry that it took so long to answer; but, ran into problems.

I went to SPM to look for the Nvidia drivers: 173 and 185. Tried first the 185 (Screenshot-4). I tried enabling everything that said 185. Rebooted the system then tried to enable VEs to Normal. Got a message that stated that the VEs could not be enabled. Checked in the Additional Drivers. The nvidia_current drivers were activated but not in use. The NVIDIA X Server Settings showed that the 270.41.19 was still being used.

Un-installed all the nvidia drivers from SPM and rebooted the system. The system only booted to tty. I was lost. Redid the steps to install the 270.
    Was able to log back into system to wright and tell you what happen.
    Hi, the part that says it is not in use is just a bug if you activated it, it is in use, also when I installed the 270 from synaptic today it did not remove the 173 so I had 2 active at the same time and it caused problems. Make sure you only have one installed through synaptic, I would think since your card is a 6000 series like mine it would run best with the 173, just not 2 at the same time. Your card is a 6000 series but it is a little older then mine you might not be able to run the cube,but I think that older driver should get rid of your blank windows.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; June 2nd, 2011 at 06:44 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans

I am not able to uninstall the 190 driver and go back to 185 or 173. When I remove all drivers from SPM and reboot the system it reboots to tty mode and I have to reinstall the 190 (270.41.19) driver to log onto the GNome gui. I I choose a driver from SPM and reboot the system, the NVIDIA X Server Settings shows that the 190 is still in use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12