Thread: Minimum specs to run compiz decently?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Minimum specs to run compiz decently?

Just a curiosity question. I've got an old computer that I'm upgrading to something respectable, and I'm wondering what the minimum requirements are to run compiz smoothly (dedicated card). The oldest hardware I remember running it on was a Ti 4800 128Mb, and the performance was excellent. Basically what I'm asking is this: should I get a 6$ GeForce 4 MX 440 or 12$ for a GeForce 3 Ti 200? The old card is a voodoo 3, and I'm kinda skeptical about its ability to run compiz . In case you're wondering, the Ti is a generation ahead of the MX series GeForce 4's, and the only other card I have lying around the house with an AGP interface is a rage 128.
    EDIT: Both the Ti200 and the MX440 had 64Mb of ram.
    Last edited by Dustin2128; May 31st, 2011 at 03:33 AM.
    I had to do it.

Beans

Re: Minimum specs to run compiz decently?

I know that Compiz runs decently on a nVIDIA GeForce 9100, as long as you don't use any 0MG SOOP4HR 0V4R 9000 1337 effects.
    Use what works out best for you, whether it be Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. It isn't rocket science.

No longer active here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I was dicking around on one of my old pc's earlier and installed mint 11 on it. Specs are: 2ghz AMD athlon single core, 1gb ddr1, integrated ati x200. Compiz and everything worked fine. Not as old as your machine though.

IMO a pc that old isn't even worth upgrading lol. You could buy the cheapest new machine and it would be magnitudes faster.
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; May 31st, 2011 at 03:59 AM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

AGP bus and I think 10$ on a video card is cheaper than a new machine. It's not really going to be used for that much more than that which its specs can handle.
    I had to do it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Bump. Anyone know?
    I had to do it.

Beans

It runs Unity 2D on non-accelerated cards. So we know that a compiz plugin works on even computers with weak cards.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    It runs Unity 2D on non-accelerated cards. So we know that a compiz plugin works on even computers with weak cards.
    I think I'll just go with the GeForce Ti4200 I'm looking at, Same model ran well enough without loose binding turned on on my old computer.
    I had to do it.