Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest official stable NVIDIA driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Latest official stable NVIDIA driver.

Quote Originally Posted by bjones1982 View Post
    Just installed a fresh Ubuntu 11.04 desktop and tried to update my drivers according to the instructions in this thread using :

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

However the driver version did not change. Still says version 173.14.30 after reboot. There were no errors when I ran the sudo commands. So instead I went into "Additional Drivers" and it allowed me to download and install the latest "recommended" drivers with a few mouse clicks. Now my drivers are updated. Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone has this same issue.
    How is the driver working for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    How would i remove the one i installed via Nvidia's installer (the .run file)?
    should i just install the ppa one after the next kernel update?
    I'm not sure on this. Could you disable it from Additional Drivers and then update at next kernel?
    Linux: BE the Penguin.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by DinoT1985 View Post
    I'm not sure on this. Could you disable it from Additional Drivers and then update at next kernel?
    it is empty
    the run files bypasses the package manager
    edit found something:
    sudo nvidia-installer --uninstall
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; June 7th, 2011 at 08:01 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Aashiq View Post
    I'm guessing this doesn't work for GeForce 4 MX 420?

What could I use for that? Computer has really been acting up lately...
    Stick with the prop. drivers. The last NVIDIA driver by the company that supports your card is 96.43.19.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux...driver-uk.html

Quote Originally Posted by emarkay View Post
    What about for the 10.04 LTS folks - those who want to stick with what works well, but have always updated their Graphics drivers (as we learned in the Win 3.1 over DOS days..)
    The info on the driver over at the NVIDIA site doesn't specify an OS version, just says Linux. Could give it a try and disable if the system is slower.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    it is empty
    See if this helps

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...alldriver.html

nvidia-installer will also install itself to /usr/bin/nvidia-installer, which may be used at some later time to uninstall drivers, auto-download updated drivers, etc. The use of this utility is detailed later in this chapter.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

it gave me 270.29 instead of 270.41.19 running 10.04
    Nvidia GeForce GT 430 (Fermi)
    Last edited by pqwoerituytrueiwoq; June 7th, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I was so excited to see that an update to the nvidia driver was available, as I am having the problem that many people are having, ("the driver is activated but not currently in use"). So, I installed it right away, then rebooted.

After trying to log in to Unity (Ubuntu) instead of Gnome Classic, it didn't work. However, unlike before this driver update, I got a message saying that my hardware isn't capable of running Unity and it logged me into Gnome Classic (which was better than what it did before). Before this driver update, when I would try to login to Unity, it would just freeze on the purple screen.

So I do see a difference, however this driver didn't seem to alleviate my problem. Is there anyway that I can fix this? While I don't really care that much about Unity (haven't used it), I do want to run 3d effects (such as AWN).

Could it really be true that my nvidia graphics card isn't capable of handling 3d effects or Unity? MY Ubuntu computer has a GeForce FX 5200.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by airspoon View Post
    I was so excited to see that an update to the nvidia driver was available, as I am having the problem that many people are having, ("the driver is activated but not currently in use"). So, I installed it right away, then rebooted.

After trying to log in to Unity (Ubuntu) instead of Gnome Classic, it didn't work. However, unlike before this driver update, I got a message saying that my hardware isn't capable of running Unity and it logged me into Gnome Classic (which was better than what it did before). Before this driver update, when I would try to login to Unity, it would just freeze on the purple screen.

So I do see a difference, however this driver didn't seem to alleviate my problem. Is there anyway that I can fix this? While I don't really care that much about Unity (haven't used it), I do want to run 3d effects (such as AWN).

Could it really be true that my nvidia graphics card isn't capable of handling 3d effects or Unity? MY Ubuntu computer has a GeForce FX 5200.

Thanks!
    i doubt a opengl 2 128 mb video card will be able to run unity

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks, but when I go to "additional drivers", I'm still getting the:
    Code:
    This driver activated, but not currently in use
    However, this time, I saw more options. "Nvidia 173 [Recommended]", "Nvidia current version" and "Nvidia experimental". I was originally having the issue with the nvidia 173 and after updating the driver, I noticed that 173 was still highlighted in the "additional drivers". So, I activated the "nvidia current" and rebooted. Same problem and in fact, I'm still getting the message that "the driver is activated, but not currently in use", which is what I thought the problem was to begin with, pre-update.

This leads me to believe that the problem isn't with my graphics card, so much as it is with either the driver, or Ubuntu itself. Even if my graphics card can't use Unity (which would be a surprise, considering it handles 3d effects in other, more clunky operating systems), then it should be able to handle the 3d effects with Gnome-Classic, right? Yet, I'm getting the message that "the driver is activated, but not currently in use".

This problem, although it doesn't effect me in any debilitating way, is frustrating and a pain in the butt.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by airspoon View Post
    Thanks, but when I go to "additional drivers", I'm still getting the:
    Code:
    This driver activated, but not currently in use
    However, this time, I saw more options. "Nvidia 173 [Recommended]", "Nvidia current version" and "Nvidia experimental". I was originally having the issue with the nvidia 173 and after updating the driver, I noticed that 173 was still highlighted in the "additional drivers". So, I activated the "nvidia current" and rebooted. Same problem and in fact, I'm still getting the message that "the driver is activated, but not currently in use", which is what I thought the problem was to begin with, pre-update.

This leads me to believe that the problem isn't with my graphics card, so much as it is with either the driver, or Ubuntu itself. Even if my graphics card can't use Unity (which would be a surprise, considering it handles 3d effects in other, more clunky operating systems), then it should be able to handle the 3d effects with Gnome-Classic, right? Yet, I'm getting the message that "the driver is activated, but not currently in use".

This problem, although it doesn't effect me in any debilitating way, is frustrating and a pain in the butt.
    Thats infact a bug thats been reported many times. If you can see Unity and your NVIDIA X Server settings then its installed.

edit: sorry just read your previous post. hmm.. anyone have this before?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You mean Gnome? I can't see Unity, though I can see Nvidia X-Server settings. I have been reading about that bug ever since installing Ubuntu, though I was under the impression that this latest driver update would fix the issue. Is it not a problem with the driver, so much as it is with Ubuntu or the X-Windowing? Thanks.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast