Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Latest official stable NVIDIA driver.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Latest official stable NVIDIA driver.

Thanks, 3Miro. I will try that. I have always had very good luck with the drivers from x-swat PPA, before.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Re: Latest official stable NVIDIA driver.

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Thanks, 3Miro. I will try that. I have always had very good luck with the drivers from x-swat PPA, before.

Tim
    When drivers are released from Nvidia, they usually work, however, the Linux community is so diverse that there is never any guarantees. Sometimes the driver would conflict with something specific to one distro or another and the developers of of that distribution would have to do some work before the driver is called officially stable for that distro.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Latest official stable NVIDIA driver.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post

Unless you had an issue with the official stable driver, you should just remove the driver, reboot, remove the ppa and reinstall the official stable driver.
    Indeed, that fixed it. You are wiser than I. Thank you very much.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    When drivers are released from Nvidia, they usually work, however, the Linux community is so diverse that there is never any guarantees. Sometimes the driver would conflict with something specific to one distro or another and the developers of of that distribution would have to do some work before the driver is called officially stable for that distro.
    To me official means made by the manufacturer that created the card. That is why the title is that. My apologies for any confusion.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Changing themes does change the colors and some of the window borders and controls, but otherwise the main top bar and the buttons and stuff within application windows still have that vintage Windows NT look.

Tim
    to touch upon this, answer to correcting this was posted on WebUp8

http://www.webupd8.org/2011/06/fix-u...anging-to.html

So it also happens in the drivers already in Ubuntu.
    Linux: BE the Penguin.

Beans
    Distro

Just installed a fresh Ubuntu 11.04 desktop and tried to update my drivers according to the instructions in this thread using :

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

However the driver version did not change. Still says version 173.14.30 after reboot. There were no errors when I ran the sudo commands. So instead I went into "Additional Drivers" and it allowed me to download and install the latest "recommended" drivers with a few mouse clicks. Now my drivers are updated. Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone has this same issue.
    Last edited by bjones1982; June 7th, 2011 at 10:52 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by bjones1982 View Post
    Just installed a fresh Ubuntu 11.04 desktop and tried to update my drivers according to the instructions in this thread using :

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

However the driver version did not change. Still says version 173.14.30 after reboot. There were no errors when I ran the sudo commands. So instead I went into "Additional Drivers" and it allowed me to download and install the latest "recommended" drivers with a few mouse clicks. Now my drivers are updated. Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone has this same issue.
    HI, you are better off sticking with the 173 driver,I update mine last week and I had to take it right back of it caused a lot of problems, like white windows, and I am using the cube it made my system lag.

Beans

I'm guessing this doesn't work for GeForce 4 MX 420?

What could I use for that? Computer has really been acting up lately...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

How would i remove the one i installed via Nvidia's installer (the .run file)?
    should i just install the ppa one after the next kernel update?
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What about for the 10.04 LTS folks - those who want to stick with what works well, but have always updated their Graphics drivers (as we learned in the Win 3.1 over DOS days..)
    Ubuntu 14.04.x & Windows XP-SP3, Dell Precision 390, Pentium D 3.40G, 4G RAM, NVIDIA GT360, 2M VRAM | Ubuntu 12.04.x Dell Dimension E520, Pentium D 2.80G, 3G RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GT, 1M VRAM
    Debian Jessie on EeePc 1005HAB

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast