Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Gnome 3 too Mac like?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gnome 3 too Mac like?

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I don't find Unity or Gnome Shell anything like Mac. Why are people so quick to compare to Mac? I never understood it.
    Because if it has a dock, it must be just like osx!
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I like the old Gnome 2. It worked great and has lots of flexibility. I don't like Gnome 3. Linux Mint is interesting though.
    Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so...

Beans

Aha so this forum is killing off anti gnome 3 replies, yet those who blindly praise it go free.

Screw this place.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans

I think people should try GNOME 3 before talking about it. After a couple days with it, if you actually choose to take advantage of its features, you'll see the benefits of the design. It's quite intuitive, and time-saving (at least for my work).

I'd hope that people aren't 'blindly' complimenting GNOME 3, but if it has a good effect on a user, especially new users, I don't think they have to explain themselves, since they may not even understand the psychological and design reasons for why it feels so good to use.

The thing about GNOME 3 is that it's not for everyone. GNOME 2 was for everyone, and that's why it couldn't reach its potential without Ubuntu throwing on some add-ons. Now GNOME is becoming what it was destined to be, thanks to the amazingly hard work of volunteers around the work.

I find it amusing how people say that EVERYTHING looks like the latest GNOME or KDE release. KDE is apparently both Vista and OS X, and now GNOME is OS X because it has a pretty, clean theme and a simplified, streamlined approach to their core applications. I could just as easily say that OS X looked a lot like KDE 2 when it came out, or Windows 7 looks like KDE. It would be surprising if these environments didn't have similarities.

But if you use KDE 4 or GNOME 3 as a serious user, you'll see they're nothing like Vista or OS X in practice (GNOME 3 even more so- I can't even find a mobile OS to compare GNOME 3 to, it's just completely original).

I think it's good to see what GNOME 3 really is, and recognize its place, and the users it's tailored to, and not simply try to see it in the context of what you already know. That's like switching from Windows to Linux and wondering why your messenger needs to allow so many IM networks, or where iTunes is. It's just missing the point.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Well, I think that at first blush, Unity really does look a little bit like Mac OSX and KDE really does look a bit like Windows 7, or Windows 7 looks like KDE and so on. I mean, in answers to questions like, "does the panel look like metal, or glass? Is it at the top, or the bottom? How thick is it? Does it have the dock inside, or the application menu instead?" KDE got to its look first, while OSX obviously has looked "like Unity" for ten years. The observations are superficial and useless, but the comparisons are there.

Shell is the outlier. It doesn't look like anything, and nothing looks like it yet, aside from Wingpanel aping the look of the top bar.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    That's really cool. I'm using openSUSE 11.4 with Gnome 3 though, and sadly I won't be moving from it for a while as I really like it. I do love your theme though, and will definitely look into Atolm. Thanks.
    The themes & extensions don't care what distro you're using.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by corrytonapple View Post
    Those are beautiful. I am trying to get GNOME 3 in a Debian 6 VM, I knew I was missing on something!
    Wish I had the link, was just looking at a good blog today that had all the steps to add gnome shell to Debian.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    It's just an odd choice to leave out the feature and an odder choice to leave it in as some kind of weird Easter egg. I would have no problem with it if there were a reason, and if the Alt key didn't allow the user to circumvent it. (The extension makes a lot of sense, particularly as Gnome 3 seems to offload all responsibility for configurable features onto third-party extensions.)

I do think the Mac comparisons are odd, partly after realizing that both Unity and Gnome 3's Shell are really built around making the desktop look and work like a web page. I guess that to take that metaphor all the way, they'd have to use text links in place of icons on the left bar, which of course Gnome Shell was originally intended to do.
    Pretty sure it's documented in the keyboard cheat sheet. I like the fact that it's so configurable via extensions and the java script itself is relatively easy to figure out if you want to change it directly, though while it's in this rapid transition it would be hard to keep up with the updates.

I find the comparisons odd myself, unless they also think gnome 2 is like a Mac. The similarities and functionality isn't all that different once it's personalized. If we were talking applets instead of extensions gnome 2 users probably wouldn't find it that different.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kentechy View Post
    I like the old Gnome 2. It worked great and has lots of flexibility. I don't like Gnome 3. Linux Mint is interesting though.
    I always thought most users gravitate from Linux Mint to Ubuntu, that was my experience. To me Linux Mint is the closest thing you can get to Windows, which makes it such a good first linux distro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Pretty sure it's documented in the keyboard cheat sheet.
    Yeah, but it's something you'd never, ever find by accident, and it doesn't need to be hidden at all. Left, right, and middle click weren't enough, so we had to have Alt-click, too. People are supposed to be using GS on tablets, right?
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast