Thread: New to Linux..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

New to Linux..

Hi guys, my name is Bryan from Nairobi, Kenya.

I switched from windows to linux a few months ago,and am loving it, though its been a bit tricky getting to move around and learn on my own how to do things in linux. I eventually want to open my own company to give solutions to small and medium business based on linux as you know windows software is really expensive and here lowering costs is a big deal for businesses...

My question is,

What do i need to do or learn to get better,what books should i read for a beginner?

How do i get to be proficient in linux, i have no knowledge of any programming language but i would love to learn ?

Thanks in advance for taking your time to read this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: New to Linux..

A good place to start would be either taking a class in Unix at your local college, or study on your own with a good textbook like:

http://www.cengage.com/search/produc...=9781418837235

And the other thing you can do is start by installing and using Ubuntu on a daily basis.

http://cinderbox.net/2010/12/23/to-d...erick-meerkat/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My best advise is to install Ubuntu or another distribution onto your computer with no other OS (that means no Windows at all as a way to make you go back). Its really hard at first you will be used to 'the Windows way' but it gets better as you figure out alternatives and force yourself to not go back (this is just my opinion on the matter and this will not work for anyone).

Once you have that Linux distribution in front of you, www.google.com will be your friend as you will be working on your desktop and have questions which you can type into the www.google.com site to find the answer. For example:
    Code:
    Google Search
    <distro name here> make a new user
    That example above will work the majority of the time but you will get better with it as you keep searching.

I do have books on Linux but they didn't help me with getting to love it. They are nice references or some reading when you don't have internet around but I would stick to the internet if you can. I did a quick search on Google Books for 'linux' and found a whole bunch: http://www.google.com/search?q=linux...&tbm=bks&tbo=1
    I'm a fan of the 'in a Nutshell' books but its not for everyone. I would go to your local library and see if you can checkout some linux books there to start and once you find some you like, you can buy one for yourself.

Hope this helps!
    ThisIsBryan: The Site | About Me
    HowTo: Setup Ubuntu Desktop with LVM Partitions WIKI
    Hardware Profile: Dell XPS 14z; 4GB DDR3 RAM; 700GB HD; Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230; Intel i7 CPU @ 2.80 GHz

Beans

Set up a few servers.

To learn a programming language, you should first determine why your learning. My answer would change if you weren't immediately interested in making money VS if you were.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@ linuxinstalledfromhdd thanks for the 2 websites really appreciate

@ ruffEdgz, i actually have linuxmint running i dont know if that is a good distro to start off with, i dont run windows at all and yes google is a great place to get my answers, thanks a lot

@ i will definately set up a few servers after am done with learning a few things, and for the programming ofcos money plays a big part but more than anything is to find solutions for problems here...thanks