Page 91 of 287 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Cool Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by Cavsfan View Post
    Thanks paramvir! It looks great! So, will a warning about severe weather pop up now when it happens?
    Thankyou for the kind words

You have one warning already there - see the Present Condition in the image "! Clear"- it has an exclamation before it - which means there is a weather warning at wunderground.

Now if you also add WALERT element some where - it will be a max 20 characters long - it will show you the heading for the alert.

Many times you will have more than 1 alert in which case the exclamation mark will be followed by the number of warnings. The first of those warning will be shown via the WALERT element - the rest you check the details from the website.

Edit: In fact you see the Conkywx header with a line beside it in the image just above the temp 77 - well if you refer to my post #891 - you can have an automatic Alert text showing if there is one else it will remain as it is now.

That should clear the details re Alerts.

cheers
    Last edited by paramvir; May 9th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Very nice, Paramvir!

I'll need to come up with a sed to change the font size (or truncate the condition text) when alerts are present.

Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    You have one warning already there [...] which means there is a weather warning at wunderground.
    Hrm...

My alert says, "Tropical Weather: Tropical Cyclone Twentyfour (South Indian Ocean)"

Heh! That's quite a few 'clicks' away from Arizona.

EDIT

Just used an Antipodes Map, and that cyclone is diametrically opposed to my location, on (almost) exactly the opposite side of the planet. LoL!

I wonder if there's a way of specify alerts a little closer to home...
    Last edited by VinDSL; May 10th, 2013 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Addendum

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Very nice, Paramvir!
    I'll need to come up with a sed to change the font size (or truncate the condition text) when alerts are present.
    Thank you for the kind words

Yes you will need to account for 3 extra characters the exclamation and if more than 1 alert you get a digit and the space character.

Then there is the question of WALERT text - which shows the primary alert - the first alert if more than one - I chose the Present Condition line in my template as I did not want the template to feel as if it was exploding every time an alert came up - so used the ${if_empty ...} thing.

I felt what if the primary alert had changed - and with the weather the way it is now a days - who knows - and if I had checked the website I would still think it was the earlier one I had seen food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Hrm...
    My alert says, "Tropical Weather: Tropical Cyclone Twentyfour (South Indian Ocean)"
    Heh! That's quite a few 'clicks' away from Arizona!
    Yes that is funny isn't it - but I think the TRSs are reported on a global scale - perhaps from the idea - today here - gone there tomorrow. No other explanation and this year there have been few of them.

Also looking at your last edit - it probably is an aberration side winder from wunderground - I have tried to see which alerts where but havent found that info for wundy [wow that is a nice short form lol]
    Last edited by paramvir; May 10th, 2013 at 02:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Yes that is funny isn't it - but I think the TRSs are reported on a global scale - perhaps from the idea - today here - gone there tomorrow. No other explanation and this year there have been few of them.
    No worries! I think it's a great feature -- unique, even! Kudos!

I'll study the alerts, and adjust my script, as necessary...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re Alerts have had those moments where you get that silly grin on your face

I wanted a way to show the Alert only if it existed and this is how I got it done.

PHP Code:
    ${font DejaVu Sans Mono:style=Bold:size=11}${color1}Present Condition${color3}${if_empty ${exec echo [WALERT]}}${else} Alert: ${color1}[WALERT]${endif} ${color4}${hr 2}${font
    This way I use existing real estate and show data only if it comes alive. The bottom images conkywx has the same code as the font conkywx for that line.

The spacing was also important as the data should look normal if no alert.

The [WALERT] element has a max field width of 20 characters - this helps in truncating long rambling stuff - most critical warning is always first - I have seen the US and European alerts.

Kewl
    Where exactly do I insert the WALERT line? Thanks!

Where exactly do I insert the WALERT line? Thanks!
    As you see in this line in the image - in your template code you would be looking at
    Code:
    ${color3}${if_empty ${exec echo [WALERT]}}${else} Alert: ${color1}[WALERT]${endif}
    This all will come after CONKYWX on the same line before the horizontal line element ${hr}. For saving space you can perhaps use ! in place of Alert in code.

conkywx.jpg

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

As you see in this line in the image - in your template code you would be looking at
    Code:
    ${color3}${if_empty ${exec echo [WALERT]}}${else} Alert: ${color1}[WALERT]${endif}
    This all will come after CONKYWX on the same line before the horizontal line element ${hr}. For saving space you can perhaps use ! in place of Alert in code.

conkywx.jpg
    I must be slow today because I cannot figure out which file that is in. I have looked in all the files I see being called and I did not find "${hr}" anywhere.

I must be slow today because I cannot figure out which file that is in. I have looked in all the files I see being called and I did not find "${hr}" anywhere.
    No Way - you are not slow - we all have those WTF moments - some days more than others ha ha lol
    PHP Code:
    ##################################
    ##      CONKYWX WEATHER         ##
    ${voffset 4}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8.25}${color4}CONKYWX${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font}
    ####
    ## Uncomment for IMPERIAL Weather Stats (DINGBAT font set).
    # ${execpi 900 ${template0} -c "${template1}" -t "${template3}"}${font}
    ####
    ## Uncomment for IMPERIAL Weather Stats (GRAPHIC icon set).
    ${execpi 900 ${template0} -"${template1}-"${template4}"}${font}
    ####
    ## Uncomment for METRIC Weather Stats (DINGBAT font set).
    # ${execpi 900 ${template0} -c "${template2}" -t "${template5}"}${font}
    ####
    ## Uncomment for Metric Weather Stats (GRAPHIC icon set).
    # ${execpi 900 ${template0} -c "${template2}" -t "${template6}"}${font}
    This set of code should be in the .conkyrc file and we are interested in
    PHP Code:
    ${voffset 4}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8.25}${color4}CONKYWX${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font
    We can modify this and move it into one of the templates (you are using) mentioned above right at the top above the rest without any empty lines above or below - so it becomes part of that template - you will need to comment this line in .conkyrc.

modified line:
    PHP Code:
    ${voffset 4}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8.25}${color4}CONKYWX${color0}${if_empty ${exec echo [WALERT]}}${else}${offset 8}Alert:${offset 8}${color4}[WALERT]${endif}${color6}${offset 8}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font
    In place of a space character I have used the convention of using ${offset 8} - you can tweak this number as required or just use the space character.
    Now the word Alert can be switched with just ! for saving space - you decide how it looks - Alert catches my eye

Let me know how it goes

Page 91 of 287 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191 ... LastLast