Page 6 of 287 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by cociuba View Post
    my seat belt is buckled up
    After a bit of discussion with VinDSL in private, I promise you it will not be the "Adventure" he thought it would be. VinDSL was going in a direction that I saw a major limitation on, and that was going to cause you all problems. It will certainly be good, it will meet the standards you're used to from him, but it will NOT be as outrageous or crazy as it may seem.

Vin is still nuts. He always has been. We love him that way. But, when HE says it's an "Adventure", it usually means hacked together, obsessively coded, cutting edge code for the sake of being on the cutting edge, have-to-learn-three-new-languages-and-hop-on-one-foot-while-humming-show-tunes kind of "Adventure"...

He really is a nice guy, and has a bizarre sense of humour to him. But when he codes something, it's usually so obsessively written that the human eye and mind can barely grasp his choices. It's why so many people love his design ethic, but also why so many of those same people get stuck when making it fit their own screens. Check the original Howto. The human eye, even Conky itself, cannot tell the difference between a 9-point font and a 9.3-point font. And yet, Vin has several of them, or similarly off-standard sized fonts, in his code. Why? He's never told me. Other than "To Be Different", I can't figure out why he wants them that way. It's also why, the vast majority of the time, the rest of you end up changing those numbers to something that your particular setup prefers.

This is still a work in progress now folks. I ask for your patience. And wildmanne39? No need to thank us again. We haven't done anything. I know you're just very polite, and that is quite adorable of you, but it's really not necessary right now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Here's how to display the time in 24 hour format, which VinDSL once gave me:

Code:
    ##################################
    ##             TIME             ##
    ##################################
    ${voffset 6}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}${color4}TIME${offset 8}${color8}${voffset -2}${hr 2}${font}
    ${voffset -4}${font RadioSpace:size=32}${color3}${if_match ${time %l}<=9}${alignc 7}${time %H:%M}${else}${if_match ${time %l}>=10}${alignc -1}${time %l:%M}${endif}${endif}${font}
    ${voffset 0}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=6.85}${color4}${alignc 2}Sunrise${offset 1}${execi 1800 conkyForecast -d SR}${color3}${offset 2}|${offset 2}${color4}Sunset${offset 1}${execi 1800 conkyForecast -d SS}${font}
    Might help someone out.

The new weather looks nice btw Hope we'll get it soon

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Getting warmer...

(Click image to expand)

Last edited by VinDSL; November 26th, 2011 at 08:58 AM. Reason: updated screenie
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

Many Questions have been asked how to update the Weather section now that xoap.weather.com has changed their terms of service.

VinDSL has a simple forecast with icons based on Google Weather API
    11-28-11 Zip File found here(the attached zip file changes rather quickly so check Post #540 for latest version)
    Updated 28 November 2011 with better Metric Support.

Quote Originally Posted by BoredOutOfMyMind View Post
    12/01/11 VinDSL is updating the script in this post.

Many Questions have been asked how to update the Weather section now that xoap.weather.com has changed their terms of service.

VinDSL has a simple forecast with icons based on Google Weather API
    11-28-11 Zip File found here(the attached zip file changes rather quickly so check Post #540 for latest version)
    Updated 28 November 2011 with better Metric Support.

The script is found on the TeoBigusGeekus Weather scripts thread in post #540 TBG and Sector11 have worked to create some amazing scripts with much more detail.

For Celsius, edit fcTemp.xslt as described here by VinDSL
    The script is found on the TeoBigusGeekus Weather scripts thread in post #540 TBG and Sector11 have worked to create some amazing scripts with much more detail.

For Celsius, edit fcTemp.xslt as described here by VinDSL

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Hello TBG!

The above conversation got me thinking...

I've been looking for a script that would afford a "classic" conkyForecast look, without relying on Weather.com for the XML feed.

I've been playing around with a script that's stupid simple.

The thing is, it uses the uber-secretive, wholly undocumented, and unsupported, Google Weather API. LoL!

Here's how it looks, so far...

<large image removed and reattched by BOOMM>

vindsl-weatherhack-11-nov-2011.png

Although XML output is somewhat limited (Google Weather API was made for iGoogle and Google Gadgets) it seems to be stable.

Anyone interested in giving it a toss?!?!?

I'll zip the files, and attach them here, for public consumption.

Check back for updates [ v0.8.3, 13-Nov-2011, 1:00 AM ]:
    Last edited by BoredOutOfMyMind; December 2nd, 2011 at 07:09 AM. Reason: Updated quoted post

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, BOOMM!

Here's a direct link to my TeoBigusGeekus Weather post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post11442297

I've been doing a lot of code rewrites, so the attached zip file changes rather quickly.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by basec0m View Post
    You're welcome! Thanks,for posting.

Looking at your screenie...

I'm thinking about putting the "Location" back into the Weather Script.

I removed it recently ( v0.9.4 ) because I judged that ppl know where they live. LoL!

On second thought, however, they might want to display weather stats for (say) Arlington, WY:

• Windiest town in America
    • Avg annual wind speed of 31mph
    • Gusts above 110mph

...instead of their local weather stats. Displaying the location would have significance, in that case.

Hrm...

Beans

I configured my .conkyForecast.conf like this and conkyforecast and this conky works like before 15th November.

Sorry for bad English.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2dulle View Post
    I configured my .conkyForecast.conf like this and conkyforecast and this conky works like before 15th November.

Sorry for bad English.
    That works!

Is there any reason why the high temperature is always TBA?

Beans

Update: 11-21-2011
    I have updated the howto for weather. There is now a redirect for doing weather. Help and service for conkyForecast no longer belongs here. It has it's own thread.
    Last edited by 42dorian; November 21st, 2011 at 11:51 PM.

Page 6 of 287 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast