Page 37 of 287 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Hi sparker256,

Thanks for for the call-up and settings data, i tried just the way you said and various others ways but sadly no joy!..

So i had a thought and wanted to try something, so here it goes:

Installed conkywx 0.7.2 from scratch, got it running and updating every 900secs no problem, now i want to trick it into thinking that 0.7.2 is still installed but use the script from (conkywx.sh 0.7.4), i simply copied the entire script text into the installed conkywx.sh 0.7.2 and saved it!

Then i did the same thing for the conkywx.conf, copied the text from 0.7.4 conkywx.conf into the installed conkywx.conkf (0.7.2).

I made sure that the default conf settings in the conkywx.sh matched those in the conkywx.conf!

i did all this while the 0.7.2 is running!

I had to think that you only have 900secs before the next update so had to get on it!

Results:
    So i'm waiting for the update dew in the next few mins...

Result conky updates and displays the new data as if the 0.7.4 version is installed perfect i thought...

So waiting for the next update...

Results:

dam and bugger! how very dare it!!

So back to square one but now i know that its something in the 0.7.3 and 0.7.4 scripts that simply ignores the instruction to call @ 900secs

What a shame and scratching my barnet again now!

Many thanks Sean

Hellooo ALL

I am testing it and waiting for the next update - the script some place is having a problem with the call for wget to run - sooooo hang in there - shall find the problem - just give me some time.

Edit: on it's own it is working fine but in vinDSL scripts hmmm lets see

I love fault finding

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    I am testing it and waiting for the next update - the script some place is having a problem with the call for wget to run - sooooo hang in there - shall find the problem - just give me some time.

Edit: on it's own it is working fine but in vinDSL scripts hmmm lets see

I love fault finding

thanks
    Hi Paramvir,
    As always, the devil is in the details.

You have a lot of willing participants to test the code, here, so you might as well take advantage of the situation. I cannot speak others, but I have the patience of a saint. LoL!

I booted up this morning, and 0.7.2 is happily fetching every 15 minutes. It's a joy to see the notification pop up, and watch, as the "Last Update" and Last Fetch" numbers indicate success.

Other than spacing and alignment, I haven't changed anything in my script, the last couple of days -- and, 0.7.2 is working just fine, sans the "Feels like" reading.

I judge that you can safely use 0.7.2 as a baseline. Something changed after 0.7.2 and it seems to be universally affecting us all -- those of us that are running a "normal" install. It's odd that these changes had no consequence for you, running inside a VM -- but, it is what it is.

Anyway, I appreciate the efforts you've made. Thank you, for being so responsive to our plight.

Conkywx is a great program! It's easy to setup, and work with, just like Conky. Once you squash the "fetch bug", I think we can all breathe a little easier.

Here is my current Conkywx code...

.conkyrc
    Code:
    <SNIP>

####
    ## Define the locations of Conkywx files (required)
    ## Set the path to your .conf file & templates here.
    #
    template0 "/usr/share/conkywx/conkywx.sh"
    template1 "/usr/share/conkywx/examples/conkywx.conf"
    template2 "/usr/share/conkywx/examples/vindsl-weather-template-test.sh"
    template3 "/usr/share/conkywx/examples/vindsl-time-template.sh"

TEXT

<SNIP>

##################################
    ##    CONKYWX WEATHER SCRIPT    ##
    ${voffset 4}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8.25}${color4}CONKYWX${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font}
    ${execpi 900 ${template0} -c "${template1}" -t "${template2}" |
    sed -e 's/Calm mph'/'\$\{offset 8\}Calm/g' |
    sed -e 's/New Moon'/'\$\{offset -13\}New Moon/g' |
    sed -e 's/Waxing Crescent'/'\$\{offset -3\}Waxing/g' |
    sed -e 's/First Quarter'/'\$\{offset -3\}First Qtr/g' |
    sed -e 's/Waxing Gibbous'/'\$\{offset -3\}Waxing/g' |
    sed -e 's/Full Moon'/'\$\{offset -8\}Full Moon/g' |
    sed -e 's/Waning Gibbous'/'\$\{offset -3\}Waning/g' |
    sed -e 's/Last Quarter'/'\$\{offset -3\}Last Qtr/g' |
    sed -e 's/Waning Crescent'/'\$\{offset -3\}Waning/g' |
    sed -e 's/AM'/'\$\{offset 1\}am/g' -e 's/PM'/'\$\{offset 1\}pm/g'
    }${font}
    ##     CONKYWX TIME SCRIPT      ##
    ${voffset 6}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}${color4}TIME${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}${font}
    ${execpi 3600 ${template0} -c "${template1}" -t "${template3}" | sed -e 's/AM'/'/g' -e 's/PM'/'/g'}${font}

<SNIP>
    vindsl-weather-template-test.sh
    Code:
    ## VinDSL | rev. 12-09-18 12:00 ##
    ## CONKYWX FETCH TEST TEMPLATE  ##
    ${voffset 6}${goto 34}${font Weather:size=44}${color6}y${font}
    ${voffset -58}${font RadioSpace:size=33}${color6}${alignc}[PT]${font}
    ${voffset 0}${alignc 6}${font}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=7.55}${color5}Feels${offset 3}like${offset 1}:${offset 1}${color6}[FL]${offset 4}${color5}Trend${offset 1}:${offset 1}${color6}[FCTT]${font}
    ${voffset -40}${goto 203}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=8.75}${color6}[D1T]${font}
    ${voffset 0}${goto 204}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=7.3}${color5}CoR${offset 1}:${offset 1}${color6}[D1P]${font}
    ${voffset -45}${goto 188}${font KRARound:size=41.5}${color8}I${font}
    ${voffset 7}${alignc 2}${font}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=7.55}${color5}Last${offset 3}Update${offset 1}:${offset 1}${color6}[LU]${offset 4}${color5}Fetched${offset 1}:${offset 1}${color6}[LF]${font}
    ${voffset 2}${font Ubuntu:size=22.75}${color5}${alignc}[CT]${font}
    ${voffset 8}${goto 85}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=7.55}${color5}Humidity${offset 1}:${offset 2}${color6}[HM]${font}${voffset 11}${goto 84}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=7.55}${color5}Barometer${offset 1}:${offset 2}${color6}[BR]${font}${voffset 11}${goto 84}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=7.55}${color5}Bar${offset 3}Trend${offset 1}:${offset 2}${color6}[FCTP]${font}${voffset 11}${goto 84}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=7.55}${color5}Moonrise${offset 1}:${color6}[MR]${font}${voffset 11}${goto 85}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=7.55}${color5}Moonset${offset 1}:${color6}[MS]${font}
    ${voffset -61}${goto 16}${font ConkyWindNESW:size=41.6}${color6}[BF]${font}${voffset -36}${goto 196}${font MoonPhases:size=35}${color6}[MIF]${font}${voffset -36}${goto 198}${font MoonPhases:size=35}${color8}8${font}
    ${voffset -1}${goto 22}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=8.45}${color3}[WS] mph${voffset -1}${goto 203}[MP]${font}
    ${voffset 8}${goto 25}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8.5}${color5}[D2D]${goto 85}[D3D]${goto 144}[D4D]${goto 201}[D5D]${font}
    ${voffset 2}${goto 23}${font ConkyWeather:size=32}${color6}[D2F]${goto 83}[D3F]${goto 142}[D4F]${goto 200}[D5F]${font}
    ${voffset 1}${goto 25}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8.5}${color3}[D2T]${goto 85}[D3T]${goto 144}[D4T]${goto 201}[D5T]${font}
    ${voffset -1}${goto 24}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8.45}${color5}CoR${offset 1}:${offset 1}${color3}[D2P]${goto 84}${color5}CoR${offset 1}:${offset 1}${color3}[D3P]${goto 144}${color5}CoR${offset 1}:${offset 1}${color3}[D4P]${goto 201}${color5}CoR${offset 1}:${offset 1}${color3}[D5P]${font}
    vindsl-time-template.sh
    Code:
    ## VinDSL | rev. 12-09-16 08:38 ##
    ##    CONKYWX TIME TEMPLATE     ##
    ${voffset -5}${font RadioSpace:size=32}${color3}${if_match ${time %l}<=9}${alignc 7}${time %l:%M%p}${else}${if_match ${time %l}>=10}${alignc -1}${time %l:%M%p}${endif}${endif}${font}
    ${voffset 1}${alignc 5}${font DroidSansFallback:bold:size=8.35}${color5}Sunrise${offset 1}:${color6}[SR]${offset 3}/${offset 3}${color5}Sunset${offset 1}:${color6}[SS]${font}

I've been forgoing the use of a conkywx.conf file, for the time being, and directly applying my settings to the default settings in conkywx.sh. That seems like the more prudent course of action, during this testing/debugging phase.

Gotta run.

BBL
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

@ VinDSL
    Thanks

Ok lets do it !!!

This is a very small change in 0.7.4

Open /usr/share/conkywx/conkywx.sh

There is a function "check_for_data ()" - in that there is a line
    PHP Code:
     elif [[ $time_diff1 -gt $minimum_fetch_time ]] && [[ $time_diff2 -gt $minimum_fetch_time ]]; then 
    change && to || [ two pipe characters ] generally placed on top of the Enter key

so it should look like
    PHP Code:
     elif [[ $time_diff1 -gt $minimum_fetch_time ]] || [[ $time_diff2 -gt $minimum_fetch_time ]]; then 
    Let me know how it goes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Hi Paramvir,

That looks good!
    will let you know a little later

Many thanks Sean.

Update:

Well that seems to have solved the problem, conkywx version 0.7.4 is now updating as it should do every 900secs and it survives a reboot as well!

Wow what a trip getting this wonderful little program to function correctly and it looks sooooooo cool!!

Paramvir i would like to thank you for everything, the program, the help and much more! well done sir you deserve as many "Biers" (spelt or spelled the German way) as my Bank Account would allow! cheers i've got one in my hand now
    you will have to let me know if you are coming to Dresden one day, it would be fun to meet you.

Cheers Sean.
    Last edited by foodoo; September 21st, 2012 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foodoo View Post
    Hi Paramvir,

That looks good!
    will let you know a little later

Many thanks Sean.

Update:

Well that seems to have solved the problem, conkywx version 0.7.4 is now updating as it should do every 900secs and it survives a reboot as well!

Wow what a trip getting this wonderful little program to function correctly and it looks sooooooo cool!!

Paramvir i would like to thank you for everything, the program, the help and much more! well done sir you deserve as many "Biers" (spelt or spelled the German way) as my Bank Account would allow! cheers i've got one in my hand now
    you will have to let me know if you are coming to Dresden one day, it would be fun to meet you.

Cheers Sean.
    You are most welcome Sean - it was abit trouble some as on Arch it worked fine but on Ubuntu it did exactly that - would not update - but funny thing is if you ran it normally using conkywx examples - it worked fine

Waiting for others to confirm...

Yes my friend - Bier is good - I love it really chilled - since ambient temp here is not that cool at present.

Yes will take you up on that offer

Beans

I can confirm that replacing && with || works like a charm. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Made the changes to conkywx.sh line 469 from && to ||. It appears to be working correctly and will be doing further testing. Any workaround that I have been using have been removed.

Thanks for working through this.

Bill
    LINUX Flight Simulator Machine - AMD 8-Core FX-8350 - Antec KUHLER H2O 920 - 32G Ram - Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 PCI/Express 6144 MB - Driver Version 340.76 - Asus VE278 - Ubuntu 64 bit 12.04 - 14.04 - 15.10-X-Plane 10.36rc1

Beans

I too can confirm that after applying the recommended changes to conkywx.sh the program is now fetching and updating the current weather data.

Looking forward to future updates and configurations!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by paramvir View Post
    Ok lets do it !!!

This is a very small change in 0.7.4 [...]

Let me know how it goes
    Good job, detective!

Spent about an hour installing & config'ing 0.7.4 and doing the "pipe patch".

I started Conky about 15 minutes ago. Everything looked "normal", plus it just did a fetch as I am typing.

Haven't tried a reboot yet, but I'm confident it will work, based on the comments of others.

Now, I need to get cracking on a data dump. I'll shoot for this weekend, assuming no further complications.

Thanks, Paramvir. You dah man!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Page 37 of 287 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787137 ... LastLast