Page 279 of 287 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281 ... LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,790 of 2861

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

the wunderground issues have nothing to do with geographical location...2 of our testers are in Australia, and Paramvir is in New Delhi, India

IBM owns wunderground, and also has merged intellicast into wunderground lately....they are in the process of "improving" some features....
    have you gone to the wunderground page for Toronto yet ??....does it display correct information ??? if so, it should work with conkywx...

as to your question regarding WX sources.....it depends upon what YOU have specified in your ~/.config/conkywx/examples181207/conkywx-02.conf file

yours should look similar to mine...

Code:
    ## --------------------------------------------------------------------
    ## Conkywx Config File | Paramvir | rev. 12 Mar 2019 | ver. 190312_build_190312
    ## --------------------------------------------------------------------
    ## THIS PROGRAM IS FOR PERSONAL AND PRIVATE USE ONLY
    ## CONTACT WUNDERGROUND.COM FOR PROFESSIONAL SOLUTIONS
    ## CAVEAT: No guarantee that this program will work on all platforms,
    ## Use At Your Own Risk.
    ## -----------------------------------------------------------------------

## main weather data source - building redundancy
    ## use colon : character to separate current condition and forecast
    ## for current conditions use ::
    ##     METAR [m]
    ## for forecast and/or current conditions use ::
    ##     aerisweather [1] or weather [2] or msn [3] or accuweather [a]
    ##     dark sky    [d] or wunderground [w]
    ## use of xml data remains unchanged See Note below at xml_ID
    ## w, w:2, w:3, w:a, w:d
    ## m:2, m:3, m:a, m:d
    ## 2,   2:1, 2:3, 2:a, 2:d
    ## 3,   3:1, 3:2, 3:a, 3:d
    ## a,   a:1, a:2, a:3, a:d
    ## d,   d:1, d:2, d:3, d:a
    ## ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    default_wx=w
    in my case I have just w selected...I get both forecast & current data from wunderground....another section of the conkywx-02.conf
    file further divides this into forecast data from wunderground based on my location information, and the current WX data from my neighbor's PWS ( Personal
    Weather Station ) via wunderground that is selected via an xml_ID in the conkywx-02.conf file

do you have conky-all installed ?? if not, you might considering installing it....

have you edited conky-02.conf file so all variables pertain to your location....I believe it ships with Paramvir's location data if memory serves...lol

as you can see, the conkywx-02.conf file is the heart of conkywx....

tommy
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Within the limits of what I can find and recognize, I have tried to get things to align with my location. In the conkywx-02.conf, I have it set to m:3 as the best of what seems to be available. I have my lat/long entered, along with altitude. I have CXTO specified for METAR. I have Canada specified elsewhere, and North Atlantic and.....

The final goodie I have added is a PWS near me, so I have an xml_id (IONTARIO473 as it happens) also specified - which at least seems to give me more of the data I wish to be able to display (it shows up as the identifier on the short demo conkwx instead of CXTO).

Nothing I have been able to find anywhere has resulted in any weather anywhere when w is specified. Nothing I have been able to do has gotten any weather info to display in the VinDSL style conky that cane with the examples (even the template sometimes disappears, then reappears later - but still with NA and N/A across everything except moon facts and sunrise/set.

In looking for clues, I tried finding things on wunderground using url's embedded in .conf files etc - no luck finding anything but 404 errors. Could be the main source of problems? As I mentioned before, I can't find an identifier for weather.com (unless
    Code:
    62e0efebee1ac0e8fa9b21fd17d57a6a0001753ab6be8a4874bb78bbb52eda02
    produces a useful result - haven't tried yet - it used to be something along the lines of CA537788 for a code, but this somehow doesn't have the same look

Anyway - I may just have to drop the weather in a separate conkywx, and remove it from the VinDSL style conky I run on the right side. Then all I have to do is find out why testing (if running) starts up Rhythmbox, and why my fonts aren't being all picked up (I can find them elsewhere, like LibreOffice Writer - so they ARE installed). Funny that the font USED to work (12.04, 14.04 etc) as did the if branching - see the screenie a couple of messages back (at the bottom - a Freebird quote).

Anyway - enough for tonight (night?) so I'm off to sleep - hopefully I make it to bed first. Thanks all for the suggestions - you never know which one is going to trigger a fix, even if not directly providing one!

freebird
    | Xubuntu 20.04 / Arch rolling XFCE/ MX-19 patito feo / Arcolinux 20.5.7 rolling / EndeavourOS rolling XFCE / Ubuntu Unity 20.04 / Arch rolling Cinnamon / EndeavorsOS rolling Budgie / Arch rolling XFCE-compiz / Kubuntu 20.04 |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by freebird54 View Post
    Within the limits of what I can find and recognize, I have tried to get things to align with my location. In the conkywx-02.conf, I have it set to m:3 as the best of what seems to be available. I have my lat/long entered, along with altitude. I have CXTO specified for METAR. I have Canada specified elsewhere, and North Atlantic and.....

The final goodie I have added is a PWS near me, so I have an xml_id (IONTARIO473 as it happens) also specified - which at least seems to give me more of the data I wish to be able to display (it shows up as the identifier on the short demo conkwx instead of CXTO).

Nothing I have been able to find anywhere has resulted in any weather anywhere when w is specified. Nothing I have been able to do has gotten any weather info to display in the VinDSL style conky that cane with the examples (even the template sometimes disappears, then reappears later - but still with NA and N/A across everything except moon facts and sunrise/set.

In looking for clues, I tried finding things on wunderground using url's embedded in .conf files etc - no luck finding anything but 404 errors. Could be the main source of problems? As I mentioned before, I can't find an identifier for weather.com (unless
    Code:
    62e0efebee1ac0e8fa9b21fd17d57a6a0001753ab6be8a4874bb78bbb52eda02
    produces a useful result - haven't tried yet - it used to be something along the lines of CA537788 for a code, but this somehow doesn't have the same look

Anyway - I may just have to drop the weather in a separate conkywx, and remove it from the VinDSL style conky I run on the right side. Then all I have to do is find out why testing (if running) starts up Rhythmbox, and why my fonts aren't being all picked up (I can find them elsewhere, like LibreOffice Writer - so they ARE installed). Funny that the font USED to work (12.04, 14.04 etc) as did the if branching - see the screenie a couple of messages back (at the bottom - a Freebird quote).

Anyway - enough for tonight (night?) so I'm off to sleep - hopefully I make it to bed first. Thanks all for the suggestions - you never know which one is going to trigger a fix, even if not directly providing one!

freebird
    I put my fonts in my home directory. I create a directory .fonts and copy the fonts from another partition into that folder. I keep a copy of those fonts and some other fonts like Buuf in a partition called Media.
    That way I only download them once. Took a while to get through my dense skull to do that instead of having to find them on the internet and download them every time I need another copy.

Screenshot_2019-04-08_14-06-14.jpg

I'm currently on Fedora 29, which has no Nvidia support in their conky nor compositing, or something is wrong with the compositing. I can't use override, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well - the fun continues. I have modified the vindsl-org files to eliminate any references to weather that I can find, and added in some things to replace the space (more drives/partitions, more top processes) and changed others (went back to the old calendar code because I couldn't figure enough about how the new one worked to modify it). Ended up having to increase buffer sizes etc with all the extra text, but it's mostly good. One thing though - although I THOUGHT I dumped the weather portions, I get this slowly eating up a terminal...

Code:
    conky: llua_do_call:  function conky_main execution failed: ./lib/scroller.lua:142:
    Error :( data file NA not found.
    As I don't call for anything to scroll, haven't found a way to eliminate it yet - but it seems to be the only complaint I haven't cured. Now I just need to get sensors working properly, figure out how to get a audio display (tune name, artist, runtime, current time, album) like I used to have with Rhythmbox (VinDSL again!), and then find out what these RSS feeds do (and how much space they take) and whatever else I find in the example directories. Then on to making a weather conkywx elsewhere on screen from the new stuff. It'll certainly be a while at least before I try to reactivate the plane cockpit conky from the past! I'll probably go for a jet next time, not a 4 x prop plane if I get to it though

I am still in awe at how much Paramvir has done on Conkywx though - just version 2 was a BIG leap forward...

Keep smiling

freebird
    | Xubuntu 20.04 / Arch rolling XFCE/ MX-19 patito feo / Arcolinux 20.5.7 rolling / EndeavourOS rolling XFCE / Ubuntu Unity 20.04 / Arch rolling Cinnamon / EndeavorsOS rolling Budgie / Arch rolling XFCE-compiz / Kubuntu 20.04 |

Cool Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

@freebird54

many thanks for the kind words - but the credit goes to the fellas who test conkywx and keep yanking my chain huahahahahahaha

version 2 of conkywx - oooweee that is way back in the very distant past and things had changed so much and then LUA happened and then the magic.

the cloud height was your idea - though some like yahoo do not have that - yup have just added yahoo and started testing - since intellicast is out...

There is offline help as I think cavsfan or tommy have mentioned - at command prompt type conkywx and the choose option 2

cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I have the offline help files - and they are comprehensive, but not always immediately comprehensible! Once I've worked with the particulars a while I can usually follow the logic OK.

Anyway - the updates:

1. Found the scroll call in old vindsl template - in the music section (that I haven't been using) it is calling for a scroller if audacious or VLC or something else were running. As I had started trying out audacious, it was calling out in vain! Expunged, for now.

2. Backdoored into weatherdotcom - and suddenly located a code for Toronto (CAXX0504) so now I have the rest of the weather info I wanted in particular - like cloud coverage, ceiling and visibility. a:2 is my new setting...

3. Some things I just don't seem to understand - like positioning a conky window at the bottom. I tried to get a modification of short-conkyrc to run across the bottom of the screen - and while I can get it wider, and get main -n textformat to make sense of repositioning the output, I can't get it to the bottom. It must be hiding somewhere else than I have looked.

4. Tried to get conky-musicrc to shift over to the bottom right, to appear to become part of vindsl-org redo - but I have some of the same issues with positioning as with bottom_short. For one thing the bottom panel doesn't go with the top for placement.

5. Even stranger (I think) the scroller file contains (for example) FIle name: File name: <> then the name of the song. No album info. It displays perfectly, it is only the content that is weird!

6. IF I get that issue cleared up, is there a way to kill off a specific conky without bothering the rest, say when I shut down audacious? Or do I have to put a lua if running test, and display a picture in place of the text and scroller from within conky-musicrc?

7. I ask a lot, don't I

Thanks any and all who can help with any of the above..

Keep smiling

freebird

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by freebird54 View Post
    I have the offline help files - and they are comprehensive, but not always immediately comprehensible! Once I've worked with the particulars a while I can usually follow the logic OK.

Anyway - the updates:

<snip>

3. Some things I just don't seem to understand - like positioning a conky window at the bottom. I tried to get a modification of short-conkyrc to run across the bottom of the screen - and while I can get it wider, and get main -n textformat to make sense of repositioning the output, I can't get it to the bottom. It must be hiding somewhere else than I have looked.

4. Tried to get conky-musicrc to shift over to the bottom right, to appear to become part of vindsl-org redo - but I have some of the same issues with positioning as with bottom_short. For one thing the bottom panel doesn't go with the top for placement.

5. Even stranger (I think) the scroller file contains (for example) FIle name: File name: <> then the name of the song. No album info. It displays perfectly, it is only the content that is weird!

<snip>
    Thanks any and all who can help with any of the above..

Keep smiling

freebird
    #3....in the short-conkyrc file, have you tried changing the default position from alignment_ = bottom_left to alignment = bottom_middle ???
    to further adjust the position of the window, not the text, use gap x & y.....gap_x= a + number will move to the right x number of pixels....a - number will move to the left x number of pixels....same for gap_y...+ moves up & - moves down....

#4... the musicrc file is a little trickier to align.....there are 2 parts to position....the music info & the scroller info.....same alignment procedure as above.....it can be done see here https://imgur.com/a/IKRGR5V

#5....yeah, we know....sometimes it will display album info, but usually it's like you describe...don't know why, but it's not a design fault I believe....

tommy
    Last edited by NM5TF; April 13th, 2019 at 04:39 AM.
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Arch Linux, MX 18.3 Linux
    my personal web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost
    "If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space"--Unknown

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ahh. thanks for a response! Anyway - here's a further update...

I managed to get the repositioning to work better now - but it wasn't anything I would have expected. I found an orphan ${voffset 420} at the BOTTOM of the short template file - no idea why its there, but commenting it out killed the problem. See attached partial screenie at the last for progress on that front.

Glad to hear that I'm not alone on the funny info scrolling. Maybe it's audacious - I got correct (if sometimes weird) output from Rhythmbox when I did it that way. If I could get it to quit starting Rhythmbox when it checks if running I might just go back to old style (jerky) scrolling for content reasons! I see a different check in some file of Paramvir's where it uses a 'lua check running' - that might solve it. Still lots to do

Another thing I was trying is to place a picture over the area when music is not playing, but I can't seem to get that to work either! One thing after another This is the statement I tried (along with variations)
    Code:
    template3 = '/home/freebird/Pictures/images/sunset/sunset-200.png',
    ${lua main -n showimage -i ${template3} -p 5,1000 }
    but absolutely nothing shows anywhere

An oddity I ran into this afternoon, I went back to Paramvir's blog site to make sure I have an original 181207 handy - and it's GONE!
    Now I know how I got version 7 build 333 last time I tried - it has reverted to April 2018 it seems. It was fine last week, and off the week before... Hey Paramvir - last thing you need is one more thing to figure out!. Edit: add - Paramvir - check your signature entry - it took me to 2018/03/version7(etc). Could be the problem? I should bookmark it... 181207 showed up again when I tried a different arrival at ForeverQuest.

Well - all that's left to add is the current state of the conky on my desktop. Lots to do yet - tweaks, minor additions - but the outline of what's coming should be apparent. I'm trying to post bottom conky, redone VinDSL conky and a reduced screenshot of the whole thing. Here goes:

Keep smiling

freebird
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by freebird54; April 14th, 2019 at 03:40 AM. Reason: More info to add

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hmm - sudden silence around here - is there a holiday somewhere?

Anyway - I am undeterred - and will post some progress notes in case of interest...

I have (I think) improved the appearance and functionality of my conky setup - though it is far from finished. My sizing issues have been dealt with, and a couple of minor changes/additions have been set in. I've been lucky enough to get a partial update of conkywx, so the scrolling complaints and weather parsing errors have gone! I am still trying to learn enough lua to fix up the audacious scroller, but in the meantime I simply work around it - with what I CAN handle (bash script). This just (statically) posts the song, artist, album, year, track number, total time and elapsed time in a block on my side conky. Not exactly elegant, but it works for me! Here it is, if anyone wants it for temporary use until final resolution is upon us.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

# variable declarations and settings
    check=`audtool --current-song`

playback_status=`audtool --playback-status`

aud="Audacious is now"
    status=`audtool --playback-status`
    title=`audtool --current-song-tuple-data title`
    artist=`audtool --current-song-tuple-data artist`
    album=`audtool --current-song-tuple-data album`
    year=`audtool --current-song-tuple-data year`
    track_no=`audtool --current-song-tuple-data track-number`
    track_length=`audtool --current-song-length`
    track_play='    <->        '
    old_title=' '    # to check for song change
    # conditional statements start

if [ "${check}" == "No song playing." ]; # Check if audacious is running, skip out if not
    then
        echo "Audacious is not running"
        rm /tmp/trackPlaying 2> /dev/null # clean up
        exit 1
    fi

case ${playback_status} in
        "paused")
            echo ${aud} ${status}
            echo " "
            #  Switch the comment block to shorter output
            #  in both locations (paused and playing) if
            #  your output area is narrow or your font big
            #  echo  "   Title: " ${title}
            # echo  "  Artist: " ${artist}
            # echo  "   Album: " ${album}
            # echo  "    Year: " ${year}
            # echo  "   Track: " ${track_no}
            # echo  "  Length: " ${track_length}
            # echo  "Position:  "`audtool current-song-output-length`
            echo  ${title}
            echo  ${artist}
            echo  ${album}
            echo  ${year}
            echo  ${track_no}
            echo  ${track_length}
            echo  `audtool current-song-output-length`
            ;;
        "stopped")
            echo ${aud} ${status}
            if [[ -e '/tmp/trackPlaying' ]];   #if scroller file exists
                then
                rm /tmp/trackPlaying # dump it ( it gets rebuilt on restart )
            fi
            ;;
        "playing")
            if  [ "${title}" != "${old_title}" ];   # song change, kill /tmp/trackPlaying
                then
                rm /tmp/trackPlaying 2> /dev/null   # ensure new one can get created
            fi
            echo ${aud} ${status}
            echo " "
            # echo  "   Title: " ${title}
            # echo  "  Artist: " ${artist}
            # echo  "   Album: " ${album}
            # echo  "    Year: " ${year}
            # echo  "   Track: " ${track_no}
            # echo  "  Length: " ${track_length}
            # echo  "Position:  "`audtool current-song-output-length`
            echo  ${title}
            echo  ${artist}
            echo  ${album}
            echo  ${year}
            echo  ${track_no}
            echo  ${track_length}
            echo  `audtool current-song-output-length`
            old_title=title        #to keep /tmp/trackPlaying alive
            if [[ ! -e '/tmp/trackPlaying' ]];   #if scroller file not yet written
                then
                # uncomment your preferred choice for scrolling
                # echo > /tmp/trackPlaying ${track_play}${title}"  -  "${artist}"  -  "${album}"  -  "${year}
                echo > /tmp/trackPlaying ${track_play}"Title: "${title}"  -  Artist: "${artist}"  -  Album: "${album}"  -  Year: "${year}
            fi
            ;;
        *)
            ;;
    esac
    and just called with:
    Code:
    ${if_match "${lua if_running audacious}" == "1"}${voffset 10}${font DroidSans:bold:size=8}${color4}Audacious Running${offset 8}${color6}${voffset -2}${hr 1}
    ${voffset 10}${font DroidSansMono:size=9}${execi 1 ~/conky_aud.sh}
    ${else}#
    ${voffset 8}${font :bold:size=8}${color4}No Media Playing ${color1}${hr 1}${font}#
    ${image ${template5} -p 55,865 }#
    ${endif}#
    As you may have noticed, it also created a file /tmp/trackPlaying so perhaps I can get a scroller call going without having to go through music_sort.lua

I'll throw up a few screenies so you can see how its going - and hi to all you silent people!

keep smiling

freebird

Edit: wrong pic, and a note: No more Leafs in the playoffs, so back to normal avatar...
    freebird
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by freebird54; May 3rd, 2019 at 07:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Nice job, freebird!

I likey...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Page 279 of 287 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281 ... LastLast