Page 13 of 258 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Beans

Re: HOWTO: VinDSL Conky Script

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    Best place to show it off is the Big Conky Thread that I mention in the first post. Not that it doesn't belong here... well... it kinda doesn't... but the people who will appreciate it most are over there. This is a HowTo thread for answering "How do you get it going, VinDSL? I want what you've got!"

This is more of an ease of other users' ability to get it running. To ease the "Stupid" questions and all that. It's easier if this thread is just the HowTo and VinDSL and I keeping updates going about his scripts. That way when people are genuinely stumped they aren't cluttered with posts that aren't directly focussed on getting the script running.

The Conky Thread, on the other hand, will happily embrace you for sharing.
    Alright, sorry about that.

May I suggest you update the first part of your post mentioning where you can find VInDSL's conky script(s)? it took me a while to realize they were on the 3rd/4th post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zephilinox View Post
    Alright, sorry about that.

May I suggest you update the first part of your post mentioning where you can find VInDSL's conky script(s)? it took me a while to realize they were on the 3rd/4th post.
    Done. Though, it seems kinda pointless. That Data Dump Post isn't the only one he's got. They're all over the forums, and half of the idea of the HowTo is to wean you off of VinDSL's work alone and introduce you to the rest of the Conky community, giving you more sources than just his for ideas, and reducing the need to form a community around this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 42dorian View Post
    Done. Though, it seems kinda pointless. That Data Dump Post isn't the only one he's got. They're all over the forums, and half of the idea of the HowTo is to wean you off of VinDSL's work alone and introduce you to the rest of the Conky community, giving you more sources than just his for ideas, and reducing the need to form a community around this thread.
    Perhaps, but for me I was looking for a tutorial on getting a fully functioning conky up and running, rather than wanting it to specifically be Vin's version (although it is awesome)

Beans

Perhaps, but for me I was looking for a tutorial on getting a fully functioning conky up and running, rather than wanting it to specifically be Vin's version (although it is awesome)
    Indeed. But, one must ask, why then is it important to be pointed toward one of Vin's data dump posts? The HowTo is usually put there for people who have already seen his script and made an attempt to get it going. The HowTo isn't geared toward Conky separately, nor is it a lesson in how Conky works. I think your expectations of this thread are not quite what it really is.

Beans

I don't really expect anything more from this thread, I followed the first post (after a search on where I can find Vin's scripts since the first post didn't mention them) I got conky up and running fairly easily, and I've fully understood it, that is more than I can say for the other conky how twos I've tried to follow, even if this one was only ever intended to help people set up Vin's conky.

Beans

I don't really expect anything more from this thread, I followed the first post (after a search on where I can find Vin's scripts since the first post didn't mention them) I got conky up and running fairly easily, and I've fully understood it, that is more than I can say for the other conky how twos I've tried to follow, even if this one was only ever intended to help people set up Vin's conky.
    Yes, I see that. I just notice that you keep suggesting things and pointing toward the HowTo as if it should be written as a separate entity. Something written so that everyone uses it for the same purpose you used it for.

I do appreciate that it helped you out, and, y'know, huzzah to that... but what you used it for and what it was written for are different animals. Slightly different, I admit that much, but different none the less. We were aiming at people, who were already a part of the Conky community, having a HowTo to answer the really basic questions so that the Conky Community themselves don't have to answer them anymore. The idea was to get them going so they'd go right back to the Community for everything after that. We really wanted to keep this thread as un-cluttered as possible to help those people, and to reduce the amount of time VinDSL, and by extension myself, had to devote to answering these questions so often.

But, hey, you found the big Conky thread and are getting into the swing of the community. So, I suppose it worked for you too. I just worry that there might be some confusion over what this thread is here for.

Beans

UPDATE: Okay, Okay, I give in.

So many of you have posted and thought I was scolding you for posting here that I thought I'd clarify on the first post. It's just not the case. Hopefully no more misunderstandings will happen now. I honestly never thought that this needed explanation, but I guess I was wrong. As of THIS point in the thread, I will say this:

1. We're not trying to take away from the Big Conky Thread. We're, vaguely, a part of that community, and don't want to deprive anyone of feeling welcomed there.

2. VinDSL and I both read that thread, among others. Suggestions, ideas, and self-pride in your work belongs in that thread. They want to hear from you, and they can help you get whatever you have in your head going. They can devote more time to helping you and making you feel welcome than this thread alone can even try to do.

3. New users are meant to read this thread. We're trying, desperately, to help them out. The more of this thread is devoted directly to fixing things that are broken, pointing out what needs to be edited in the HowTo, and posting VinDSL's solutions to problems he finds, the better.

4. Yes, I use "We" a lot. I'm not crazy (Much) But VinDSL doesn't do a lot of talking on the forums. I do. He's a friend of mine, and on this particular topic, we talk to eachother. I'm usually told when he does something new, or has some update or another that might need explanation. More often than not, I'm talking as the mouthpiece of VinDSL, or as someone who wants the rest of you to participate in the Conky Community with ease. I can be very blunt on this. That's just how I am, I'm direct. And when I speak on behalf of VinDSL and Myself, or from the perspective of the HowTo and it's purpose, I use We in the same tone. Neither of us are forum staff, nor do we want to be. We just want to help new users answer the questions that they have asked a hundred times before.

Okay? Everyone got that now?

Beans

Hey Everyone,
    I installed Conky 1.8.1 in Ubutnu 11.10 and I'm using this configuration on my desktop. I got everything to work properly, but I just found I have a problem with the calendar.
    From Monday to Saturday it works great, but on Sundays it gets weird.
    This is an image of yesterday's calendar and the script I'm using.
    Any ideas what could be causing the error?

Script:
    Code:
    ${voffset -75}${offset 127}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_8=`date +%_d`; cal -h | sed -e '1d' -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_8"'\>/${color4}&${color3}/'}${font}
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try version 9.

Code:
    ${voffset -64}${offset 100}${font DroidSansMono:size=7.55}${color3}${execpi 60 VinDSL_Cal_9=`date +%-d`; cal -h | sed -e 's/\r//g' -e 's/^/ /g' -e '1d' -e 's/\<'"$VinDSL_Cal_9"'\>/${color4}&${color3}/'}
    The entire line, of course...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans

That worked, thanks.

Page 13 of 258 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast