Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HALP. Seriously. I ISO'd a backup of my haywired ubuntu USB, now how do I restore it?

Beans

Exclamation HALP. Seriously. I ISO'd a backup of my haywired ubuntu USB, now how do I restore it?

I'm pretty darn sure no one else has this problem. I'm sick of re-installing everything every single time. ARGH. I talk a lot, so I bolded the stuff you shouldn't skim over.

Who else but me could bork 4 USBs over the span of 2 1/2 weeks? Well, that's what I get for walking around with a plugged-in USB poking out of my bag. (I couldn't help it, okay! And I was being as careful as I could, but I can't stop my bad luck and idiots running into me. Honestly, my luck is abysmal.)

Anyway, before my USB went haywire on me, I made a copy of everything on it in the form of an ISO, because I have no clue what I'm doing. (I mean, it does SOMETHING, doesn't it?)

I had installed a whole bunch of stuff, including wine, winetricks, desmume, etcetc... I've had to re-install everything 6 times already. THAT'S NOT AN EXAGGERATION. Not only do I really not want to re-install everything I need, I don't always have the internet connection. I only get a limited time here at Starbucks.

Putting the ISO by click-and-drag obviously wouldn't work. I've tried simply moving the files from the ISO onto the USB, but there are these files that ubuntu won't let me copy. Isn't there some way I can restore all my files and programs without going through the long process?

I'm like, programming and ubuntu illiterate, so please help me out here? /Bowbow.

Beans

Re: HALP. Seriously. I ISO'd a backup of my haywired ubuntu USB, now how do I restore

df to get where your flash is mounted

sudo dd if= (Your iso) of= /dev/(Your flash drive)

If you put in the wrong drive, it completely destroys your install.

Have fun.

EDIT: This will destroy all data on the target device. DON'T use it on a drive with stuff you need/haven't backed up.
    EDIT2: DD reads data and copies it somewhere else. if= is your source file (or drive) of= is your target. You can also use this for making forensic disk images.
    Last edited by Thewhistlingwind; May 28th, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
    Life is an extraordinarily long concatenation of luck and coincidence.

Beans

Re: HALP. Seriously. I ISO'd a backup of my haywired ubuntu USB, now how do I restore

Hommmggggffff. Thank yooou. I'm a bit occupied at the moment, but I'll definitely give that a try. :3

Hopefully, it'll work.

lmn. is offline Just Give Me the Beans!
    Beans

I'll read it all because you told me not to.

when I 1st moved over to ubuntu for good (not too long ago) I was reinstalling daily. so much fun. in the end you can replicate your config in 10 minutes as opposed to the couple of hours it takes originally.

I didn't mind at all, a refreshing contrast to the boring, consistent style of windows... nothing ever goes wrong and you'l end up doing the same thing in the same way, over and over and over again.

best bet to keep your backed-up files and the install cd separate.
    better yet, use a flash drive and stop wasting disks.

Beans

Arrgghh... I've tried it twice. It didn't work either times. When I looked at the finished copy, the file names all come out as gibberish (rectangles with squigglies in them) and isn't anything like it's supposed to be. D8

Anything else I can try, anyone?

Beans

Reboot, then they'll be there, promise.

Beans

@Imn: Lololol. You obviously didn't read it all. XD It's apparent that I'm using USBs. I borked like, four, remember?

I'm using ubuntu liveCD right now. It's not rewritable, but I usually use rewritables.
    Last edited by Baniita; May 29th, 2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Lacked... specificity.

Beans

I did reboot. /Scratches head.

; v;" It said it wasn't bootable.

So I suppose there's something wrong with the data on my ISO? (It doesn't seem so, though. Everything looks fine.)
    Last edited by Baniita; May 29th, 2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: addeh

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Baniita View Post
    I did reboot. /Scratches head.

; v;" It said it wasn't bootable.
    Don't boot into it.

Beans

Ehhhh? D8" /Bashes head. I'm sorrrryyy. But I don't even know what that meaaans. ; v;

Stupid question, how do I work it without booting the USB? 8D"
    Last edited by Baniita; May 29th, 2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: derrr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast