Page 79 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Thank for your reply.

From your reply it seems that I wasnt clear enough. My BIOS does not support EFI.
    So My only way is to boot into the active partition which holds Windows boot loader.
    Still dont understand why Boot Reapir didnt add ubuntu OS to grub menu. Or maybe it was added conditionaly such that it check for BIOS that support EFI ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@boaznahum
    Your grub menu shows two Windows boot entries. And yes you are just BIOS. It does not matter that Ubuntu drive is gpt.

I have used gpt on Ubuntu boot drives and booted my XP install in MBR. Only when I got my new SSD and had to turn on AHCI and did not have the AHCI drivers for XP did I stop booting XP.

You show no Linux kernels anywhere. Fstab is showing an old /boot that was a NTFS partition sdb5. But Ubuntu can only have Linux formatted partitions for all of its system. Generally desktops do not need a separate /boot. It looks like the /boot entry in fstab was commented out, perhaps Boot-Repair knew it was not valid and removed it.

You can either reinstall or chroot into your install and run updates to reinstall the kernels. Boot-Repair can help with a chroot.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi all,

I'm struggling to dual boot ubuntu 12.10 and windows 8 on a new fujitsu AH512 laptop. Here's the story.

After figuring out how to disable secure boot I successfully installed ubuntu 12.10 64 bit. After install I got no grub or other boot loader - it just went straight to linux. It all worked fine and I used it for a while.

I then tried to boot windows. Pressing F12 gave me a boot menu, one of them being windows boot manager. I selected that and windows ran fine.

I then shut down windows and tried booting again. This time, instead of booting directly to linux (still no bootloader), it booted straight to windows 8. So windows has 'fixed' something in the boot process.

Pressing F12 on boot gave me several options including windows boot manager and ubuntu. When ubuntu is selected, the screen flashes and goes back to the boot menu. Selecting windows boot manager runs windows OK.

I tried running boot-repair and it fails with esp-locked. (http://paste.ubuntu.com/1565467/)

I then shrank my windows partition a bit and created a 300 MB FAT32 partition after my 75 GB windows partition (so, in the first 100G). Gave it the boot flag and re-ran boot-repair. Boot repair fails with the same error.

I went to advanced and looked at the install location for grub and it says "Separate /boot/efi partition SDA2@. This is the original partition (boot flag not selected). The one I created is SDA8. However, I can't change the setting in boot-repair to SDA8. I tried formatting SDA8 as FAT32 in gparted and no change.

I am not desperate to get windows back (it would be nice). If I can just get it to boot linux I'd be happy for a bit.

I also tried changing the boot flag to my ext4 linux partition and it still boots windows.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks,

David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@David, I also had a locked ESP situation on a new HP laptop, that I didn't manage to resolve! I ended up just getting rid of Windows and giving all the space to Ubuntu!!! Very frustrating!!!

@YannUbuntu, after my initial failings with my HP laptop, I then tried to dual-boot on my wife's new Compa (being of the same company I was anticipating the same issues). Hwever, I installed, couldn't boot into Linux initially, but ran boot-repair from a liveUSB, and it all fixed automagically without any problems, so thank you very much!!! I can now dual boot on that laptop, even if I can't on my main laptop. (not that I will be doing that very often!!!) Thanks for your work in supporting us all!

Beans

Thanks Judderman. For the moment I've resolved the issue by reinstalling linux and all my software, and I'll just have to not boot windows again. The way I feel about MS right now, I can live with that.

I don't really have any particular reason to run windows, but it annoys me that I've paid for it and can't use it. Perpetuates the good old MS requirement for linux users of 'send your cheque to MS for the licence and throw the disk in the bin'.
    Last edited by inshallah573; January 24th, 2013 at 01:29 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have the locked issue, please create a login to launchpad and report that it applies to you. They work on bugs with most bug reports or most critical to Linux.

You can have only one efi partition and with gparted that is set with the boot flag. Only the efi FAT32 partition near the start of the drive should have boot flag.

grub-efi fails to install with Input/output error - locked efi
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1090829
    Some find chkdsk on efi partition helps, others backup, reformat and restore as current work arounds.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Bug report added.

Beans

My problem is described here. I am going to try the advanced boot-repair but need help doing it. Here is the BootInfo.
    Last edited by DaBungalow; January 26th, 2013 at 12:46 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@DaBungalow
    I do not see anything specific. And intermittent issues are the worst to resolve. Have you looked in your log files. I use Log File Viewer, but the files are in /var/log and there are many. I usually look at dmesg first.

Also you have a very large / lwhich is typical of a default install. It just is that now drives are a lot larger. I normally try to install in 25GB and then have rest of drive as data or perhaps /home and maybe a shared NTFS if dual booting. If you look at line 298 you will see some essential boot files at 219 and one at 752 which also means all the rest of the system files are scattered all over your drive. Better to have all system files closer to each other and data scattered.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    @DaBungalow
    I do not see anything specific. And intermittent issues are the worst to resolve. Have you looked in your log files. I use Log File Viewer, but the files are in /var/log and there are many. I usually look at dmesg first.

Also you have a very large / lwhich is typical of a default install. It just is that now drives are a lot larger. I normally try to install in 25GB and then have rest of drive as data or perhaps /home and maybe a shared NTFS if dual booting. If you look at line 298 you will see some essential boot files at 219 and one at 752 which also means all the rest of the system files are scattered all over your drive. Better to have all system files closer to each other and data scattered.
    So I did a total reinstall and that didn't fix the issue. I am also having issues with not being able to shutdown the computer using the GUI. I have to go straight to the terminal and use
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -P now
    to get the stupid thing to power off.

As for files spread all over, when I rebooted I set up a separate partition for /boot. Was that okay and did it consolidate all of the files into one partition?

On last thing. I want to post the dmesg file for you to look at but I first would like to know if a boot into a kernel that works would provide a useful dmesg. If it does, is there a way to post the file without actually having to post the whole code into the actual forum?

Page 79 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast