Page 76 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

thanks for this.
    Seems grub's on sdb1 (sata drive 2, ubuntu) as i expected based on boot-repair asking whether that drive & only that drive was an external one.

simon@poseidon:~$ sudo debconf-show grub-pc
    [sudo] password for simon:
    grub-pc/kopt_extracted: false
    grub2/kfreebsd_cmdline:
    grub2/device_map_regenerated:
    * grub-pc/install_devices: /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SAMSUNG_HD501LJ_S0MUJDWPA15450
    grub-pc/postrm_purge_boot_grub: false
    grub-pc/install_devices_failed_upgrade: true
    grub-pc/disk_description:
    * grub2/linux_cmdline:
    grub-pc/install_devices_empty: false
    grub2/kfreebsd_cmdline_default: quiet
    grub-pc/partition_description:
    grub-pc/install_devices_failed: false
    grub-pc/install_devices_disks_changed:
    * grub2/linux_cmdline_default: quiet splash
    grub-pc/chainload_from_menu.lst: true
    grub-pc/hidden_timeout: true
    grub-pc/mixed_legacy_and_grub2: true
    grub-pc/timeout: 10
    simon@poseidon:~$ sudo grub-probe -t device /boot/grub
    /dev/sdb1

Part 2, "to get grub2 to remember where to reinstall on updates" - before I follow this (i've learnt to be wary of following things I don't understand!), do you think it's likely that by changing the location of grub it'll 'find' the sda XP boot? Would running grub from sda probably mean that sda's XP booter gets automounted and therefore that OS can be used, the other XP install isn't changed so'll show up as normal, and ubuntu, though no longer the same drive as grub, is assumedly smarter than XP so isn't bothered?
    For ref, here's the top of my current bootinfoscript:

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda and looks at sector 1 of
    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
    in partition 72 for .
    => Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb and looks at sector 1 of
    in partition 72 for .
    => Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdc and looks at sector 1 of
    in partition 72 for .
    => Grub2 (v1.99) is installed in the MBR of /dev/mapper/jmicron_SiRAID and
    looks at sector 1 of the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this
    location and looks in partition 72 for .

As usual, a thousand thank-yous for helping me. I'm not Arabic, but it feels fitting!

Beans

Boot URL: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1536197/

So when installing Ubuntu 12.10 I selected the option to make a custom install since I had 2 Seperate Drives and I wanted to make sure it did not overwrite the Windows install. After sucessfully installing Ubuntu onto my computer I do not see the option to boot windows when the GRUB boot screen appears. I imagine this is because my MBR is messed up but I would very much like to fix this with out having to reinstall windows again. I can see all the same Windows files on the Hard drive so the install is still present on the drive but Ubuntu/GRUB does not see it.

Please let me know if you need any other information. Thanks for any help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@jharris: please use a Windows7 disc this way: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ta/7Bootloader , until you get direct access to Windows. Then use Boot-Repair's Recommended Repair to recover your GRUB menu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@all: interesting case of Windows8 trying to prevent users to use Linux: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...38&postcount=9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

@oldfred, i've read that one get an output with os-prober, if more than one system is installed.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/31442...eturns-nothing

i wanted to see how os-prober is detecting my windows8, because i've working windows8
    entry in grub and a not working(always returns back to grub menu).

Beans

@YannBuntu
    Hi having some trouble with dual booting an EFI system, I have tried to use boot-repair to no avail.

original post here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post12457673
    Last edited by RANDOM_HERO_87; January 16th, 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Beans

@ YannBuntu or anyone else who could please help me out..

I started a thread here a week ago and have been troubleshooting my issue with the help of oldfred and other forum staff, I have used Boot-Repair a few times and each time I get the same result, it says my issue is repaired but:

Code:
    Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda2/EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi file!
    I do feel like I'm close, I've been racking my brain on how I could get this to work. If anyone has any insight could you please glance over the thread and may pitch a few ideas? Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi, I have tried to install Ubuntu alongsied Win8 and having problems. Tried to partition manually, but didn't get it working, so reinstalled Win8, and tried the automatic install alongside Windows, but still not able to boot into Ubuntu.

here is the boot-repair URL

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1537472

I hope that you can help me! Otherwise, I'll get rid of Windows and just boot Ubuntu, but would prefer to keep ******* for the very few times I need it.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@fergie716
    You had not posted again in your thread, so I assumed you had resolved it. Boot-repair can auto backup & rename Windows boot file if your UEFI only boots Windows. From Yann in another thread. & please post in your thread.
    To perform this, just run Boot-Repair --> Adv options --> tick "Backup and rename EFI files" --> Apply
    Then reboot the PC and please tell us what you observe.

@The Judderman
    We have seen one or two others with the locked efi partition. Not sure how that is even possible. But at least one of the previous users was able to unlock it, but did not post details that I remember.

Edit - found reference to the bit that is set, but need to find how to reset it. It is intended for other efi type partitions like a vendor recovery so users would not damage a vendor recovery. If HP is setting it on the efi partition it is wrong. Bug is not really related to current issue.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...fi/+bug/811485
    Partition creators may prevent UEFI firmware from examining and using a specific partition by setting bit 1 of the Partition Attributes (see 5.3.3) which will exclude the partition as a potential ESP.
    Last edited by oldfred; January 16th, 2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: more info
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@oldfred

Thank you for getting back to me. I have spent most of today trying to sort this out. There is a bug on launchpad, saying you just need to create another EFI partition and install grub on that, which didn't solve my problem either.

I'm currently just installing Ubuntu and giving up on Dual boot- If ******* are so keen to make things difficult for their users, then they will be using more and more!

Page 76 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast