Page 13 of 235 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    @Arclance: for 64bits PC, Boot-Repair must be used in a 64bits session (Ubuntu Secured 64bits for example). Also, please update Boot-Repair before running it, as there is beta GPT and LVM support in last versions.
    Quote Originally Posted by arclance View Post
    Boot-Repair does not work on my laptop either same "please run in a 64bits environment" error. I have no 64 bit OS on my laptop or desktop. Does it think my 32bit OS's are 64bit for some reason? The only thing that works is make boot-info summary.
    My laptop and desktop are both 32bit. according to your instructions in the first post I should be using the 32bit Ubuntu Secured Disc/Version.

As I said in my previous post the DVD drive in my laptop is failing and does not properly read disks anymore so burning a 64bit disk is not an option for my laptop.
    I previously tried to make a bootable thumb drive with 64bit Ubuntu Secured on it but both my laptop and desktop would not boot from it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    When you put GRUB2 in the MBR, just put the rest in one of your Ubuntu or Debian-derivative OS (preferably the one you use the most). E.g. if you have 5 OS and among them your main OS in Ubuntu11.04, just install Boot-Repair in Ubuntu11.04, and each time you want to update your menu run it and click "Apply", that's it. No need for separate partition, or manual file editing.
    this is exactly what we are supposed to do, is suitable for one linux , but the rest should be loaded from one linux to the other.
    *It is exactly what I wish to avoid if possible somehow.*

I can not understand why someone could develop such complex system in first. My whole computer is then becoming dependent on one of possibly many operating systems installed. If this gets broken (it will definitely) the whole computer is stopped.
    When loading the individual kernels directly, well this will give crazy menu when having at least two last kernels in each linux. The alternative would be chainloading all others, this again is very unstable and we are back to the initial set up.
    Grub2 is too fragile, difficult to manage (at least for me) and this is why you had to design this surely helpful tool after all.
    If grub2 was anything working properly, nobody would need your tool.

So still I would be happy if you could include in your tool the installation of grub legacy and purging grub2 as this is essential task for half stable central stored bootmanager of what ever make.
    Last edited by ottosykora; August 28th, 2011 at 05:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

@arclance : Boot-Repair thought you had a 64bits Ubuntu because you have 64bits librairies (which is AFAIK rare in a 32bits OS). Now I corrected this point, so you should be able to use last version of Boot-Repair in a 32bits session.

@ottosykora: purging GRUB2 is already possible (it's the first part of the Purge option), but currently you will have to install Legacy manually. I may add a "reinstall Legacy" option when I have time, please create a "wishlist" bug here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

Dear all,
    Launchpad takes several hours before accepting updates, so before using Boot-Repair please make sure all icons on the following page are green : https://launchpad.net/~yannubuntu/+a...pair/+packages

Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I just downloaded the CD and noted that the default wallpaper has a speaker labeled "Microsoft". Is this a bug?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thumbs down Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 clic !

OMG !

Even if it is mainly aimed at recovering access to Debian, Ubuntu and derivatives, Boot-Repair-Disk can also help recovering access to Windows...

By-the-way, any wallpaper proposal is welcome

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Install and run Boot-Repair in Ubuntu (in case you can't burn a CD):
    just type in a Terminal:

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair
    Boot-Repair can be installed & used from any Ubuntu session (normal session, or live-CD, or live-USB). PPA packages are available for Ubuntu 10.04, 10.10, 11.04 and 11.10.
    This method works best.

The download ISO file did not work on two comps.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi mosaic2s,
    Boot-Repair automatically updates itself at start-up (from its PPA).
    Yesterday the PPA was broken during ~15 hours (because Launchpad took time to accept an update), the consequence was that Boot-Repair main window (the one with the big logo) did not appear. If you experienced this problem, please retry with your CD the problem should have disappeared.
    If you experienced a different problem, and still experience it today, please describe it more accurately.

regards

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I downloaded the boot-repair-disk as ISO on 2 different days. One was 95mb, another 336mb from sourceforge.
    Anyhow, assuming that 95mb was error in someway, I prepared the USB stick using the ISO file. First through tuxboot, then through USB DISK CREATOR utility within ubuntu 10.04.

The USB stick booted - and got stuck at
    boot:

no response from the comp. tried second comp - same result. tried another pen drive, same response.

then I booted through CD and installed the boot-repair app. small app - downloaded quickly, and worked effectively on the hdd. I finished the work on 2 comps within 10 min.

Thanks a lot for keeping a close watch on our comments.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi mosaic2s,

First I recommend you always check the md5 of the ISO you download, not only Boot-Repair-Disk but also other Ubuntu ISOs.
    The md5 of Boot-Repair-Disk ISO can be found by clicking on the (i) button of this page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/

(on this page you will also see that the ISO is about 350Mo

To calculate the md5 of your ISO, you can use the Check-File-Integrity tool: http://bipede.info/bipede/index.php?...file-integrity

Second point: USB DISK CREATOR utility within Ubuntu cannot create USB-disk of Debian. As Boot-Repair-Disk is based on Debian, you will have to use another tool, such as :
    - Lili USB Creator (http://www.linuxliveusb.com/), to be used from Windows only
    - or UnetBootin : can be used from Ubuntu (install the unetbootin package) or from Windows (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/)

Page 13 of 235 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast