Page 74 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Thanks mörgæs
    This showed something to improve: https://bugs.launchpad.net/boot-repair/+bug/1098062

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    @mörgæs
    Your BootInfo shows no hard drive? Was it not plugged in or is BIOS now not seeing drive?
    Yes, I found some strange behaviour as seen in the post
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=715
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I tried to uninstall my linux partition (dual boot Linux Mint and Windows 7). I used the program on my windows 7 that deletes my linux partition and integrates it with my windows partition. But then my windows 7 refused to load when I restarted it. I think the problem has to do with my boot loader so I followed the instructions here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...pair_in_Ubuntu
    to try to repair it.

It says the bootloader repair was successful but I still can't boot my windows 7.

This is the summary thing: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1516480/

I bought my laptop online from HP so I do not have the windows 7 recovery disk. I do, however, have a recovery partition on my laptop (which I did not delete, obviously), but I cannot seem to boot into that either.

Does anyone have any advice?

Beans

Hi!

I'm trying to get dual boot working on my laptop for Windows 8 (which was pre-installed) and Ubuntu 12.10.

I have gone through quite a lot of struggling already:
    1. It seems there was some Ubuntu installation bug related to Windows UEFI boot.
    2. After running boot-repair, I still wasn't able to enter Windows, as I have to disable secure boot (and I think I had to go into Windows to get access to BIOS)

Anyway, I think I ended up reinstalling Windows once (some recovery/restore option they have, as they don't give you the physical DVD's when you buy the computer)(*1) and I can't remember how many times I have reinstalled Ubuntu.

The thing now is: no matter how many times I run boot-repair, it works perfectly as long as I only go into Ubuntu. First time I run Windows, my PC stops showing me the grub menu and I cannot run Ubuntu anymore (until I run boot-repair again from live CD).

This is URL boot-repair generates: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1516559/

I think it's needless to say that there are a lot of partitions of recovery stuff and some other crap which I don't really understand.

Thanks a lot for your time and your help!

(*1) If possible, I wouldn't like to repeat that ever again

Beans

I posted this earlier and got no response. Help...please?!?

Boot-repair not working!
    I ran a bunch of recommended updates on my Toshiba Satellite C655 earlier today. Thereafter I could not boot my computer at all. It's a dual installation, and I can't boot either Ubuntu 12.04 or Linux Mint 11 Katya. I decided to try a fresh install, tried booting each system from the live CDs, and that failed. I just burned and tried to boot from the Boot-Repair GUI from YannBuntu at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post10871917, what I got what the following error message at startup:

EDD: Error 0400 reading sector 172696
    No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
    boot:

The grub is apparently so messed up that I can't boot from anywhere, including the grub> prompt after following the step-by-step instructions in the Ubuntu documentation section. My paths are (hd0, 11). I also tried booting from recovery mode (doesn't work properly), failsafe mode (not installed), nothing has worked. Again, I cannot get in anywhere in order to reach sudo, only grub>. And I can't boot from any live CD, including the Boot-Repair GUI. I've been searching the forums all day. Really screwed here...

What to do??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@Georgeteo , Sephiao, and Alaiyo: please create a new thread THERE and indicate its link here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    @Georgeteo , Sephiao, and Alaiyo: please create a new thread THERE and indicate its link here.
    Thanks for the attention, I submitted the post to:

Beans

Hi,
    I had a dual boot Kububtu and windowsXP. Then I installed Ubuntu 12.10 which boots fine and I can see the Windows partition inside ubuntu but I can't boot to Windows. Here is my boot info created by boot auto repair http://paste.ubuntu.com/1519635/

Thanx

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@cool_thing76: please create your own thread too. See my last post above.

Beans

Hi Yann,
    I don't know if this warrants a new thread but i'm happy to make one if so.

Boot repair seems to take AGES, running either from LiveCD or direct from Ubuntu. It's probably been going at least an hour by now, and isn't finished doing "scanning systems (os-prober)".

Any thoughts? Seen this before? I searched the thread but just found people talking about slow downloads...

Thanks!

(Background info in case it's something to do with my system which you might read and say "aha! it's THAT"
    sata drive 1 = sda = 500gb ntfs w/ winXP boot that no longer appears on grub since upgrading to 12.10 recently. I did the winXP restore disc, fixmbr (on C:\windows, the only option), and now ubuntu won't boot either, which I knew was a possibility so i'm not worried. Yet!
    sata drive 2 = sdb = 500gb ext4 w/ ubuntu boot which was working fine til this morning as per the note above
    IDE drive 1 = 300gb? ntfs = winXP boot. Not affected by 12.10 upgrade, i don't think. I never use it to boot. But odd/worrying that there was only 1 windows system noticed by the restore disc...)

Page 74 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684124174 ... LastLast