Page 57 of 235 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

ok.
    Now please first try with grub* and tell me the output.

Beans

Very good tool for my pc repair kit Yanni, the best part is that any reasonably smart user can fix their own issues with this little tool. My pc fix count is now up to 3 with this tool, and I've found no bugs so far, the MBR option is very handy for sorting out rootkit issues when used with live cd and clamtk.www.indiricez.com
    My only caveat is that for those new to the linux world you should include a note that windows will want to run chkdisk upon it's startup. If this is already in the wiki I have overlooked it.
    Love the work and hope to see more from your marvelous mind in the future.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@wolveron: thanks for your message. AFAIK, Windows should run chkdisk only after using the "Repair filesystems" option (which is not activated by default).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    ok.
    Now please first try with grub* and tell me the output.
    Hi YannBuntu,
    Last time I tried that, I did not get the same window as usual. I got a message telling that my boot was successfully restored. I rebooted and saw that my bootable USB key had been modified (I did not burn the ISO but used MultiSystem to have a bootable Live USB key). Boot-repair broke Grub on this USB key instead of doing it on the hard disks (it already happened to me once before but this is usually not the case).
    Now I just ran GParted and saw that every partition I had has been deleted. It displays "unallocated" everywhere, even on my data partitions It used to work yesterday evening and I did not do anything except trying to boot the OS partitions using my USB Key and the MultiSystem tools and trying to repair the boot using boot-repair.
    I hope that I can recover my data but I'm afraid it will be difficult.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

One of the options is to install the grub2 boot loader to every MBR. If you have different versions of grub in different drives then you would not want that option as you want to keep the current one's installed in those MBRs.

For those users with multiple drives it is a bit more complex. And the user with multiple installs should be knowledgeable enough to know not to install everywhere. Most users needing Boot-Repair would want it to just install grub to the MBR. And with multiple drives, BIOS may be set to boot from anyone of them.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spontex View Post
    I hope that I can recover my data but I'm afraid it will be difficult.
    I was lucky enough to be able to recover my partition tables using TestDisk.
    I will now backup everything with rsync and fix my boot later

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

I got a message telling that my boot was successfully restored.
    ok. Next time you install GRUB, please could you check (eg via Synaptics) which package contains the /usr/sbin/grub-install executable? (it seems to be different in your distro)

I rebooted and saw that my bootable USB key had been modified
    B-R shouldn't install in MBR of liveUSB except if manually selected in the Advanced options.
    EDIT: i found why this happened (your liveUSB was recognized as "Windows" by os-prober). I don't have the same behavior with my MultiSystem liveUSB. Please could you send me the list of files located at the root of your liveUSB? and in its /Boot folder?
    (you can attach screenshots like i do below)

Last edited by YannBuntu; September 27th, 2012 at 08:33 AM.

Beans

ok. Next time you install GRUB, please could you check (eg via Synaptics) which package contains the /usr/sbin/grub-install executable? (it seems to be different in your distro)
    Hello YannBuntu,
    I do not think that Mint is different from this point of view. The problem may perhaps lie in the test to check if Grub is still present? Perhaps is there a debug mode where we could find out what happens?
    At this time I am only keeping my system like that to try and understand why boot-repair won't fix it. Else I would already have reinstalled everything

B-R shouldn't install in MBR of liveUSB except if manually selected in the Advanced options.
    EDIT: i found why this happened (your liveUSB was recognized as "Windows" by os-prober). I don't have the same behavior with my MultiSystem liveUSB. Please could you send me the list of files located at the root of your liveUSB? and in its /Boot folder?
    (you can attach screenshots like i do below)
    I did not select this option. My liveUsb usually works fine with boot-repair but this breakage happened a few times, randomly. When it happens I just click the "Repair GRUB" button inside MultiSystem on another PC to repair the key and then it works again.

I still try to figure out how I could lost both my disks partition tables. It was perhaps due to the Windows 7 CD "Automatic boot repair" I saw that one of my Windows partitions was "confused" when trying to boot it using the Grub2 Super CD on Multisystem so I tried to fix it this way, but it must have broken everything. We will see that later, when Grub is restored to my hard disk.

I will try tonight to run boot-repair again now that my partitions are resurrected.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

At this time I am only keeping my system like that to try and understand why boot-repair won't fix it. Else I would already have reinstalled everything
    Thanks a lot for your help in debugging this.
    Boot-Repair thinks you haven't purged GRUB because there is still either /sbin/grub-install or /usr/sbin/grub-install in your broken Mint. Please could you tell me which is it?
    A simple way to know it is to tell me the output of:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
    ls /mnt/sbin | grep install
    Then i will download Mint (which version of Mint are you using exactly?) and try to find which package contains this executable.

It was perhaps due to the Windows 7 CD "Automatic boot repair"
    ok, let me know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Last edited by fluteflute; September 27th, 2012 at 09:02 PM.
    Linux User #381008
    Ubuntu User #22532

Page 57 of 235 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast