Page 50 of 235 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Hello,

I'm trying to make Windows 7 my default option but it keeps using Ubuntu (and BootRepair seems to be ignoring my choice)

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1093433/

This is /etc/default/grub

GRUB_DEFAULT=6
    #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
    GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=false
    GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
    GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

Anyone can suggest anything?

Thanks
    Giruzz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Hello

Quote Originally Posted by giruzz View Post
    I'm trying to make Windows 7 my default option
    Boot-Repair is designed for recovering access to systems when you have lost access to one of them.
    If you want to customize GRUB (changing default OS, colors, timing...), please see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...iguring_GRUB_2 , or use GRUB-Customizer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Exclamation Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

2 new features:

1) when Boot-Repair detects Windows EFI, it will add a valid entry to boot WindowsEFI from GRUB (in 40_custom). This allows to workaround this GRUB bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b2/+bug/807801

2) this is not much, but as it is very frequently requested, I added the possibility to make Windows the default OS in GRUB.

Last edited by YannBuntu; July 16th, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@all: here are some precisions concerning the custom Windows EFI entries (eg http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2027888&page=2 ):

B-R should add one entry per boot*.efi file found (I think that Boot/bootx64.efi should be enough, but at the moment I prefer to take no risk and give all possibilities to the user).
    Here is the template I chose (I saw it working on several systems, but another template may be better?):
    Code:
    menuentry "Windows bootmgr.efi, generated by Boot-Repair" {
    search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 55D6-0E42
    chainloader (${root})/EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgr.efi
    }
    I added a similar function for adding MacOS EFI entries (eg /efi/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap), but I am not sure if those entries will work (have you seen anybody doing this successfully?).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

New feature:
    Boot-Repair will automatically detect situations where the bootsector of a Windows partition is damaged, and will display the following message:

Remark: "sda3" will be replaced by the name of the broken partition on your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have Ubuntu 12.04 running on one partition and 10.04 on another partition- both 32 bit. I plan to delete the 10.04 partition and install 12.04 64 bit so I will have 32 bit on one partition and 64 bit on the other. Later I will delete whichever of the 12.04 installations I do not want. Past experience tells me I may run into a GRUB problem at least once.

Your instructions:

USE: (1) DOWNLOAD BOOT-REPAIR-DISK, (2) Then burn it on CD or put it on USB key via Unetbootin, (3) Insert the Boot-Repair-Disk and reboot the PC, (4) Choose 32 or 64bits, (5) Select "First repair" and apply --> solves the majority of bootsector/GRUB/MBR problems.

Two questions:

1. #4 How do I choose 32 bit or 64 bit when there is one of each on the drive?

2. Do you think the "first repair" option will solve any issues I run into?

There are no other OSs on this system and no other partitions except a Linux swap partition. It is a 4 year old desktop system with an Asus motherboard, nothing revolutionary or unconventional.
    Last edited by Ron O; July 29th, 2012 at 02:54 AM. Reason: added info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ron O View Post
    1. #4 How do I choose 32 bit or 64 bit when there is one of each on the drive?
    Choose 64bits. This will allow Boot-Repair to work on all systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron O View Post
    2. Do you think the "first repair" option will solve any issues I run into?
    Please indicate your current Boot-Info URL if you want more details.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

I'm having some issues after the latest Ubuntu 12.04 updates, which has seemed to have tinkered with Grub a bit. Basically, when trying to rebuild GRUB, it's asking for access to sources for (Grub 2) Ubuntu 12.04, but even when given access to it, it is never able to rebuild GRUB. Using the latest Ubuntu Secured Remix CD and the Boot Repair CD renders similar results... will get some more screenshots and error logs for you soon.
    Last edited by Smokin Whale; August 2nd, 2012 at 12:57 AM.

Beans

hi yannbuntu, thanks for this life-saving tool! i was able to recover a win7 partition i thought i had hosed.

please sign me up as yet another user affected by bug#1024383

in the process i noticed a few quirks i would pass on to you:

1. after running boot-repair from the command line, it scans for a _long_ time. in fact, after about 15 minutes i got tired of waiting and closed the "scanning systems..." dialog box and ctrl-c the terminal command...and then a new dialog showed up ("efi detected. please check the options.") and thr program continued fine. i thought this might be a one-time event, but attempting to run multiple times had similar behavior. so i went ahead and let it run for about 10 minutes, closed the scanning window, ctrl-c the boot-repair in the terminal and continued...

2. after choosing "recommended repair", it looks like a tiny window shows up (maybe 20x20 pixels, looks like part of a title bar) and it appears that nothing is happening for a dozen seconds-panic! but then a window eventually shows up with "boot successfully repaired"-phew!

3. after the repair, my grub menu on reboot still has the old non-working entries for win7 (and memtest86), and 3 new ones. is the repair supposed to fix or remove the old non-working entries? or am i supposed to do that by hand?

p.s., if useful, the url is paste.ubuntu.com/1133833

::ann

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Whale View Post
    I'm having some issues after the latest Ubuntu 12.04 updates, which has seemed to have tinkered with Grub a bit. Basically, when trying to rebuild GRUB, it's asking for access to sources for (Grub 2) Ubuntu 12.04, but even when given access to it, it is never able to rebuild GRUB. Using the latest Ubuntu Secured Remix CD and the Boot Repair CD renders similar results... will get some more screenshots and error logs for you soon.
    Okay, well it looks like the problem has solved itself. Made a new backup and everything is okay. Not sure what happened there. Thanks again for a great tool.

Page 50 of 235 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150 ... LastLast