Page 40 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Not sure if Boot Repair is the solution I need. I have a UEFI Bios on my computer and it was running fine, but the motherboard manufacturer recommended changing the CMOS battery (to correct problems with the BIOS clock). Once i did that I found that when I booted I got the message "reboot and select proper boot device...or insert boot media in selected boot device and press akey". I tried rearranging the boot order to no avail and I am now using a LIve USB. I am afraid this is a double post ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post11944281 ) but I am not getting replies and I am afraid my post is going to disappear into the infrequently read posts.
    If boot repair will fix this problem do I leave all the settings in the default mode and proceed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    Not sure if Boot Repair is the solution I need. I have a UEFI Bios on my computer and it was running fine, but the motherboard manufacturer recommended changing the CMOS battery (to correct problems with the BIOS clock). Once i did that I found that when I booted I got the message "reboot and select proper boot device...or insert boot media in selected boot device and press akey". I tried rearranging the boot order to no avail and I am now using a LIve USB. I am afraid this is a double post ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post11944281 ) but I am not getting replies and I am afraid my post is going to disappear into the infrequently read posts.
    If boot repair will fix this problem do I leave all the settings in the default mode and proceed?
    Run the create a bootinfo summary in the boot-repair, and post the http address here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    @frncz: i updated the procedure for EFI (grub-setup was not needed). When you entered "apt-get purge -y grub-pc" and "apt-get install -y grub-efi" commands, have you seen any (blue) menu pop-up?
    No blue screens

apt-get install -y grub-efi tells me I already have the latest version

Please note the following URL: http://paste.ubuntu.com/992938/
    Last edited by frncz; May 17th, 2012 at 08:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Please note the following URL: http://paste.ubuntu.com/992958/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@frncz
    You do a have a grub in the protective MBR and it looks like you could boot in BIOS/MBR mode, but efi will not work without grub installed to the efi partition. You are missing this which SuperFreak has in his efi partiiton:
    Boot files: /efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi

@SuperFreak
    It looks like you only have the efi mode installed and then should be able to boot in
    efi mode. Not sure if the error message on the FAT partition may be an issue. NTFS and I assume FAT has to have internal info about the partition and that needs to match the partition table size & start. I never have had to fix a FAT partition but for NTFS it is Windows repairs using fixBoot or BootRec.exe /FixBoot depending on version.
    Last edited by oldfred; May 17th, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

OldFred are you saying not to use Boot Repair? If I should use it do I use the advanced settings in Boot Repair or just let it work in the default settings?

I am presently unable to boot to my ssd at all. See attachment for Gparted screen

As far as I know my computer only boots in EFI mode. I have never seen a regular keyboard controlled BIOs just a GUI that allows mouse control
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuperFreak; May 17th, 2012 at 09:32 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Drive looks ok. You may not need Boot-Repair but just some settings in UEFI.

You changing battery reverted UEFI/BIOS back to all defaults so it may need some settings reset or updated. Do you remember what changes you have made and may have to use the UEFI to reset to use the entry in your UEFI partition. Not actually done it so not familiar enough with UEFI and each vendor is different.

Someone posted this from their version of UEFI.

Enter your UEFI menu, select "Boot maintenance manager", then "Boot options", then "Add boot option", then "NO VOLUME LABEL,....Primary,Slave...1, GPT,..", then browse the /EFI/ubuntu/ folder via the UEFI boot menu, and select the grubx64.efi . Give it the name you want (eg "Precise"), then "Commit Changes and exit", then Enter.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Enter your UEFI menu, select "Boot maintenance manager", then "Boot options", then "Add boot option", then "NO VOLUME LABEL,....Primary,Slave...1, GPT,..", then browse the /EFI/ubuntu/ folder via the UEFI boot menu, and select the grubx64.efi . Give it the name you want (eg "Precise"), then "Commit Changes and exit", then Enter.
    I don't see anything like that in my UEFI interface. In the Boot Tab I am just given options to arrange boot priority. Under the Exit tab there is an option to "Launch EFI Shell From FileSystem Device" > If I select this it says there is no such file system

I am a bit upset about this and I know it is mainly my fault for not saving the UEFI profile before I changed the battery. I didn't expect this to happen though

I tried diabling Rapid Start, and Smart Connect on the SSD and I also set the Sata Device type to SSD

I notice that when I change the boot sequence to the Live USB UEFI offers a choice of either UEFI Corsair Voyager 3.0 1.00 or USB Corsair Voyager 3.0 1.00 but I am not offered such a choice with the SSD. It allows me in Storage management to set the SSD to IDE, RAID or ACHI. I have chosen the default ACHI
    Last edited by SuperFreak; May 18th, 2012 at 12:22 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Someone posted this:
    AsRock calls BIOS mode AHCI.

Not sure how how UEFI would be but not IDE nor RAID.

Since the SSD only has the efi install, that is all it should offer. The USB has both efi partition and BIOS MBR so it can boot either way.

I took snapshots with camera of all my BIOS pages, just to have the current settings.

Beans
    Distro

Tried clearing the CMOS with the jumpers but it didn't make any difference.Would the presence of the unformatted partition with the bios_grub flag be causing this problem. What would happen if I removed the flag(see Gparted screenshot a few posts back)?

edit: removed flag it had no effect
    Last edited by SuperFreak; May 18th, 2012 at 01:39 AM.

Page 40 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast