Page 35 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Thanks for your feedback.

Maybe i should warn: "Advanced options" are for "advanced" users.
    Well, I've been using Ubuntu since 2007 or so, and I did get my elaborate GRUB setup going, with help from friendly folk on the forums, so I don't think I'm exactly a newbie. I did skip over the "Recommended repairs" as I really don't like tools that offer to "repair" something without telling me what they are going to be doing. That's one of the reasons I left M$.

If the program decided to alter the _placement_ of my GRUB files I'm not surprised it messed things up. I have my GRUB files where I want them, and I don't expect "Fix a little glitch here" and "Fix a little glitch there" to alter that without asking me if it's OK.

I'm not surprised Wilee-Nilee spends hours a day helping people recover from errors introduced in their systems. I am surprised to see the author claiming that "ten screw-ups per day isn't much".

One is more than enough for me.
    Sony vaio vgn-fw235j; Synaptics touchpad; triple boot: mint 12 64-bit; Precise 64-bit & Saucy 64-bit. 2TB external USB drive with more...

Beans

Helpful information , Thanks for the information . I M A new user ...... Ubuntu OS . i don't know about GRUB or boot . can i do this ? i won't 2 use 2 OS win7 & Ubuntu . How can i do ?
    Last edited by mörgæs; May 8th, 2012 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Please use standard fonts

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by parovelb View Post
    @oldfred

You are of great help, thank you.
    I have read the thread and I tried to install like the first time I put ubuntu on it with no luck. LEnovo ideapad s205 is just not for linux at this time for me. perhaps later
    I am in the same situation as you with my Lenovo S205. I tried all suggestions given by oldfred and have spent several days installing different versions of ubuntu. LiveCD works, but nothing else boots. (most annoyingly, a fresh Windows 7 installation does work!). When Windows is installed, and I try to install ubuntu, ubuntu does not even acknowledge that Windows exist. It is as if the disk was blank, and gparted with the liveCD sees the disk as empty. And yet, after reformating and installing ubuntu with efi , gpt etc there is a successful installation, but no boot. Boot-repair seems to complete successfully, raising my hopes, but still no boot!
    Let me know if you find a solution.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalWeb View Post
    Helpful information , Thanks for the information . I M A new user ...... Ubuntu OS . i don't know about GRUB or boot . can i do this ? i won't 2 use 2 OS win7 & Ubuntu . how can i do ?
    Welcome among us. To use Ubuntu in dual-boot with Windows, please follow this tutorial: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Quote Originally Posted by frncz View Post
    still no boot!
    You may have a slightly different configuration as parovelb. Please click the "Recommended repair" button, then indicate the URL that will appear in a new thread. This will help us help you.

Quote Originally Posted by scradock View Post
    I did skip over the "Recommended repairs"
    So please don't complain. The program did exactly what you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by scradock View Post
    I am surprised to see the author claiming that "ten screw-ups per day isn't much".
    I said "fails", please don't change my words.
    Boot-Repair is a tool to recover access to OSs, so IMO "success" means that the "Recommended repair" recovered access to the OSs; "fail" means that the boot remains incorrect, but B-R gives clues (BootInfoSummary) to repair it.
    If you are not happy with 99% success, please propose patches instead of trolling. That is how free software works, you should know that as you use Ubuntu since 2007.

Beans

Hello there everyone,
    My problem may be an easier fix than or is it necessary????

Obviously I need help. And "yes" I've been reading for days.
    Here goes.

I am running xp_pro and ubuntu on a 320 gig drive. I installed this a few months back. Not knowing how large I was going to use each OS I partitioned it into 4.
    This weekend I took noticed that I wasn’t using a partition so I combined 2 of them…worked fine no problem until >
    I rebooted and got the “grub rescue>” prompt. The grub config file sits on hd0 so I was able to use a program to launch either OS but I have to use a live cd (SUPER GRUB) to do that. I was wondering if there were any white papers on this grub bootloader and partitioning that you may have. I figured you do as your program works and apparently you know what you’re doing in that respect. With all the new OS platforms out there I would think that since I had an existing grub cfg file that is in my MBR it could be easily adjusted to reflect how many drives I have. I have yet to find a fix that I feel comfortable with. I wonder if I just “re-partition” what I merged everything will be normal again. BUT in reading the doc on grub it may or may not need the original values of the sizes and whatnot.

I'm lost and need help and or advice

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    You may have a slightly different configuration as parovelb. Please click the "Recommended repair" button, then indicate the URL that will appear in a new thread. This will help us help you.
    Bonjour Yann
    Boot-repair output is in http:\\paste.ubuntu.com/976640, but I can't see this output (server not found).
    the same screen also tells me:
    don't forget to make your EFI-BIOS boot on /EFI/grub/grub64amd.efi file,
    but I don't know how to do that.
    I'd love some help with this

Cheers

Mike

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you take out the \\ then your boot script comes up.

You have gpt and the first partition is efi with
    /efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi in it.

From your UEFI menu you should have that as a boot choice.
    Each vendor is somewhat different but someone posted this:

UEFI is the new replacement for BIOS.
    Enter your UEFI menu, select "Boot maintenance manager", then "Boot options", then "Add boot option", then "NO VOLUME LABEL,....Primary,Slave...1, GPT,..", then browse the /EFI/ubuntu/ folder via the UEFI boot menu, and select the grubx64.efi . Give it the name you want (eg "Precise"), then "Commit Changes and exit", then Enter.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks oldfred

but I don't know how to enter the UEFI menu. There does not seem to be this option in the bios set up!
    I don't see 'boot maintenance manager etc..

Cheers

Mike

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

@captboob: please run Boot-Repair, click the "Recommended repair" button, and note on a paper the URL that will appear. Reboot. If you still have problems, please indicate the URL that you noted.

@frncz/Mike: please take pictures (with a camera) of your BIOS, and show them here.

Beans

Page 35 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast