Page 185 of 235 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195 ... LastLast
Results 1,841 to 1,850 of 2344

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Hello,

I have a Samsung series 7 laptop. For the last year and half I had a dual-boot system with Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04 running on it with no issues.

Over the weekend, I discovered when trying to power up my machine, the usual boot menu would not come up and the display just kept blinking.
    I booted up using a SystemRescueCd and managed to save all my necessary data off both the windows and linux partitions.

I then tried using bootrepair to repair the disk using the automatic repair option. When through the cycle a few times. No luck. Finally used bootrepair to uninstall Win7 and just left Ubuntu on there. Still doesn't boot up.

I then used a Ubuntu live cd and deleted all the partitions and did a fresh install of Ubuntu 13.04. Installation went through fine. But the machine still doesn't bootup. After powering up, the display just keeps blinking. UEFI boot support is disabled in the BIOS.

Ran bootrepair once more to see if it could fix this issue. Tried both the automatic fix and then through the advanced options.

This is the logs for the final run on boot repair: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7040019/

Would appreciate any pointers on what I can try next to fix this issue.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Rema.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@rema2
    I think Boot-Repair cannot download updates as your install is obsolete.
    EOL Notice: Raring (13.04) will be End of Life on January 27, 2014
    http://releases.ubuntu.com/13.04/

Did you boot Live installer in UEFI mode, as the recommended repair was an efi fix. And with MBR partitioning you cannot use UEFI.

I think it is time to update to 13.10 or use 12.04.4 if you do not want regular reinstalls. The new 14.04 will not be out until the end of April.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

No, the Live installer was not in UEFI mode. I'll give that a shot with 13.10.

Thanks.

Beans

Hello!

I had this brilliant idea to try out the new Ubuntu 14.04, so I downloaded the daily image, created bootable usb and installed it. Everything went fine, but now I can't boot to Windows 8.1 anymore. Then I found out that this brilliant piece of software called boot-repair does yet not have a version for trusty. Ok, I made a live cd of Ubuntu 13.10 and installed the boot-repair there and ran the boot-repair. It did something but still no menu entry for my windows 8. Or there is one called Windows Boot manager or something like that, but it fails.

Here is the log: http://paste.ubuntu.com/7049259/
    Windows 8.1 is installed on partition sda4 and Ubuntu on sda5.

Is there anything I can do to rescue my installation of win8, or do I have to reinstall it also?

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@Veikko
    It looks like you ran Boot-Repair's 'buggy' UEFI fix. Best to undo that. With the errors you may need to manually replace Windows boot efi file.

You should not have run grub or auto fixes, just reports from the old version as it tried to do something about version differences and dumped a lot of grub install errors. Boot-Repair just runs normal commands, but automates the running of those commands for you.

It looks like boot repair ran its "buggy" UEFI rename function. I am not sure it is always required, but it is for those UEFI that internally hard code UEFI to only boot the Windows efi file. So Boot-Repair renames the Windows file and makes grub2's shim be the Windows file. The UEFI thinks it is booting Windows but is really booting grub2 and then from grub2 menu you can boot Windows.

buggy-kernel detected. Do you want to activate [Backup and rename Windows EFI files]? yes (if any choice fails, please retry with the other)

To undo & to rename files to their original names, you just need to tick the "Restore EFI backups" option of Boot-Repair.
    Then you should be able to directly boot Windows from UEFI menu.

Also there is a bug that you cannot from UEFI grub to UEFI Windows with secure boot on. (You never can chain boot Windows from a grub BIOS install.)

Boot-Repairs rename copies this /EFI/microsoft/boot/shimx64.efi to bootmgfw.efi
    Actual Windows boot file, originally bootmgfw.efi, becomes this:
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi
    If the Boot-Repair undo does not work, manually copy this file:

Windows UEFI install should have backup of bootmgfw.efi here:
    C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi from a working Windows x86_64 installation.

I have not tried Boot-Repair in 14.04 and did not know it did not work in that yet. But there is little requirement for Boot-Repair as many of the bugs are fixed. It is just about only the 'buggy' UEFI fix that may be required with 14.04 as most other issues have been solved with a standard install. And the buggy UEFI is a vendor issue as they hard code UEFI to only boot Windows, which is not per UEFI standard.
    Last edited by oldfred; March 7th, 2014 at 04:08 PM.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated!

I basically went to /boot/efi/EFI/Microsoft/Boot and reverted the changes that boot-repair did, as you said. Basically, if I understood correctly, I messed up this myself by running boot-repair even though it is not needed anymore. If I remember correctly, I did not even try the grub's Windows menu entry before trying to fix things that were not even broken...

Anyway, thanks for your time again.

Beans

I installed Ubuntu 14.04 on a Toshiba R700 that was running Windows 7. I set it up as dual boot. The system was partioned with C: and D: drives in Windows. I shrank the Windows partition and installed Ubuntu using the empty space left from that.
    ~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x47d0bf0e

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda2 206848 94722047 47257600 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda3 586242048 1953519615 683638784 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
    /dev/sda4 94724094 586242047 245758977 5 Extended
    Partition 4 does not start on physical sector boundary.
    /dev/sda5 94724096 575191039 240233472 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 575193088 586242047 5524480 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Everything was working fine until I ran NPE (Norton Power Eraser) from Windows 7. That utility rebooted the system before running at Windows startup.

Now I get the dreaded flashing cursor when trying to boot Ubuntu. The grub menu starts and I can boot Windows or Ubuntu recovery mode.

I tried the repair grub option from recovery mode and then choose the normal boot from there, which works until I restart the system, then I need to go back into recovery mode and perform the steps over again.

Disabling the quiet & splash options in grub allows me to see where it gets stuck. The last line is:
    EXT4-fs (sda5): remounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
    And that's as far as it gets ...

I'm a bit nervious about running Boot-Repair as I am not sure that it will deal with the partioning on this machine. So I am looking for reassurance and some idea of what the cause of the problem is.
    Last edited by alan-pater; March 7th, 2014 at 11:38 PM. Reason: fdisk -l

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@alan-pater
    No idea what NPE has done to your system. Years ago I trusted Norton, but after it was sold, it became much less reliable.

You should run BootInfo report from live installer so we can see details, but Norton may have taken over MBR and now prevents changes. Or it is similar to a virus.

Beans

How do I re-install grub after formatting Xubuntu partition of Windows 7 dual-boot?

I have a dual-boot with Windows 7 and Xubuntu 12.04. While in Windows, I stupidly managed to format the partition containing Xubuntu. Everything seemed fine until I shut down, but when next logging on I was stuck with the message:

Code:
    Error: Unknown file system. 
    grub rescue
    From grub rescue I tried 'ls', 'ls (hd1,1)/' etc, but in every single partition I got the same 'Error: Unknown file system' message.

I've now booted using a live Xubuntu 12.04 USB, and got the follwoing results using boot info script (the date is wrong, I'm not sure what happened there):

Code:
                  Boot Info Script 0.61      [1 April 2012]

============================= Boot Info Summary: ===============================

=> No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
     => Syslinux MBR (3.00-3.35) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sdb.

sda1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
        Boot sector type:  Windows 7: FAT32
        Boot sector info:  No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /efi/Boot/bootx64.efi /efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi

sda2: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       
        Boot sector type:  -
        Boot sector info: 
        Mounting failed:   mount: unknown filesystem type ''

sda3: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       ntfs
        Boot sector type:  Windows Vista/7: NTFS
        Operating System:  Windows 7
        Boot files:        /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda4: __________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  
        Boot files:        

sda5: __________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /bootmgr /boot/bcd

sda6: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       BIOS Boot partition
        Boot sector info: 

sda7: __________________________________________________________________________

Operating System:  
        Boot files:        

sda8: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       swap
        Boot sector info: 

sdb1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
        Boot sector type:  SYSLINUX 4.07 2013-07-25
        Boot sector info:  Syslinux looks at sector 8200 of /dev/sdb1 for its 
                           second stage. The integrity of Syslinux couldn't be 
                           verified (install gawk). SYSLINUX is installed in the  
                           directory. The 2 ADV sectors are not the same 
                           (corrupt). No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /boot/grub/grub.cfg /syslinux.cfg 
                           /efi/BOOT/grubx64.efi /ldlinux.sys

============================ Drive/Partition Info: =============================

Drive: sda _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sda: 750.2 GB, 750156374016 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 91201 cylinders, total 1465149168 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sda1                   1 1,465,149,167 1,465,149,167  ee GPT

GUID Partition Table detected.

Partition    Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors System
    /dev/sda1           2,048       411,647       409,600 EFI System partition
    /dev/sda2         411,648       673,791       262,144 Microsoft Reserved Partition (Windows)
    /dev/sda3         673,792   586,731,519   586,057,728 Data partition (Windows/Linux)
    /dev/sda4     586,731,520 1,016,864,011   430,132,492 Data partition (Windows/Linux)
    /dev/sda5   1,412,718,592 1,465,147,391    52,428,800 Windows Recovery Environment (Windows)
    /dev/sda6   1,016,864,768 1,016,866,815         2,048 BIOS Boot partition
    /dev/sda7   1,016,866,816 1,396,174,847   379,308,032 Data partition (Windows/Linux)
    /dev/sda8   1,396,174,848 1,412,718,591    16,543,744 Swap partition (Linux)

Drive: sdb _____________________________________________________________________

Disk /dev/sdb: 1014 MB, 1014497280 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 123 cylinders, total 1981440 sectors
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Partition  Boot  Start Sector    End Sector  # of Sectors  Id System

/dev/sdb1    *          2,048     1,981,439     1,979,392   c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

"blkid" output: ________________________________________________________________

Device           UUID                                   TYPE       LABEL

/dev/loop0                                              squashfs   
    /dev/sda1        6C23-AAB7                              vfat       SYSTEM
    /dev/sda3        4A8ABC488ABC31F5                       ntfs       OS
    /dev/sda4        9C40D50D40D4EF50                       ntfs       DATA
    /dev/sda5        72F41CFCF41CC3EF                       ntfs       Recovery
    /dev/sda7        FC443B68443B24B4                       ntfs       Pandora
    /dev/sda8        25477663-f5a9-45c0-a79f-9cbaab6740f7   swap       
    /dev/sdb1        1834-6870                              vfat       XUBUNTU 12_

================================ Mount points: =================================

Device           Mount_Point              Type       Options

/dev/loop0       /rofs                    squashfs   (ro,noatime)
    /dev/sda3        /media/OS                fuseblk    (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sda4        /media/DATA              fuseblk    (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sda5        /media/Recovery          fuseblk    (rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,blksize=4096)
    /dev/sdb1        /cdrom                   vfat       (ro,noatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

=========================== sdb1/boot/grub/grub.cfg: ===========================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if loadfont /boot/grub/font.pf2 ; then
        set gfxmode=auto
        insmod efi_gop
        insmod efi_uga
        insmod gfxterm
        terminal_output gfxterm
    fi

set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray

menuentry "Try Xubuntu without installing" {
        set gfxpayload=keep
        linux    /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/xubuntu.seed boot=casper quiet splash --
        initrd    /casper/initrd.lz
    }
    menuentry "Install Xubuntu" {
        set gfxpayload=keep
        linux    /casper/vmlinuz  file=/cdrom/preseed/xubuntu.seed boot=casper only-ubiquity quiet splash --
    }
    menuentry "Check disc for defects" {
        set gfxpayload=keep
        linux    /casper/vmlinuz  boot=casper integrity-check quiet splash --
    }
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

============================== sdb1/syslinux.cfg: ==============================

DEFAULT loadconfig 

LABEL loadconfig 
      CONFIG /isolinux/isolinux.cfg 
      APPEND /isolinux/ 

=================== sdb1: Location of files loaded by Grub: ====================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

?? = ??             boot/grub/grub.cfg                             1

================= sdb1: Location of files loaded by Syslinux: ==================

GiB - GB             File                                 Fragment(s)

?? = ??             ldlinux.sys                                    1
                ?? = ??             syslinux.cfg                                   1
    /dev/sda3 is my Windows C:/ drive, I think /dev/sda4 is a Windows data backup drive, and /dev/sda7 is the Xubuntu partition that I reformatted (and gave a very prophetic name!)

This line from the boot script results suggests that grub was primarily installed on the Xubuntu partition and now these files have been destroyed.

Code:
     => No boot loader is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.
    Should I use boot-repair to re-install grub? If so, should I use the recommended options, or change any of the options? If the default options assume the first partition is the xubuntu one and try to install grub in sda1 could this be problematic?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@joeytalbot
    Boot-Repair runs bootinfoscript as part of its BootInfo report. But script has not been updated for a while so it has a last updated date that now is pretty old.

You show what looks like a Windows with UEFI boot, but no Windows efi files?? There was an old version of Ubuntu 11.xx as first with UEFI and it did erase efi partition and just install grub's efi files.
    You show boot files more like a BIOS install in Windows partition, but Windows only boots from gpt partitioned drives with UEFI.
    And the grub in the efi partition has nothing to boot becuase of the missing partition.
    Did you backup efi partition? Or do you have a UEFI based Windows 7 repair flash drive?

This was for Windows 8 as not many Windows 7 are in UEFI mode.
    Windows 8 UEFI repair USB must be FAT32, not for reinstall, just repairs
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
    http://www.winhelp.us/create-a-recov...ows-8.html#USB
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-166dddf32205/
    http://www.ghacks.net/2012/11/01/how...m-repair-disc/

Only 64 bit supported for UEFI boot
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html
    Prepare an usb thumb drive, to boot windows 7 in UEFI mode
    http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/tkb/arti...article-id/177
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx

Page 185 of 235 FirstFirst ... 85135175183184185186187195 ... LastLast