Page 172 of 235 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,720 of 2344

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

I changed win partition to primary and added boot flag also with fixparts. Do I still have to create 100MB NTFS partition ??

Do you know a link to the tutorial how to add boot files ??? I tried to repair automatically with win recovery cd but it still dont see the win instalation

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You should not have to create separate 100MB partition. While standard installs of Windows 7 used it, it was so you could encrypt main install as boot files could not be encrypted and it also had repair console which might allow repairs of main install if corrupted.

If you have boot flag and it is a primary partition as NTFS, Windows should see it to repair it. The change from logical to primary may need an update to PBR or partition boot sector, but a chkdsk usually resolves that.

If you ran auto repairs you have to run them 3 times. But that will also then install the Windows boot loader to the MBR, and you have to use Boot-Repair to reinstall grub or manually reinstall grub.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

meanwhile I run though this toutorial http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthe...re-windows.htm

and tried this command
    bootrec /rebuildbcd

and it found Win installation but when it tried to add it It complained about 'unrecognizable file system' OK I will try auto repairs now.

Is it 'install the Windows boot loader to the MBR' is bootrec /rebuildbcd command ???

Beans

I run chkdsk /f for 3 times but still when when i try repair automatically it does not find the installation

when I run bootrec /rebuildbcd

it finds Win installation but when it tried to add it It still complains about 'unrecognizable file system'

I also checked with DISKPART command and both partition are set as primary.

So what shall I do now ??

Krzysztof

Beans

I made some progress. Missing part was to set from recovery console NTFS partition as active. After this Windows recovery found installation and said 'its repaired'
    but it is not repaired unfortunatelly,

BOOT-REPAIR repaired grub and added Vista loader but it dont boot my windows.

paste 6735406

Beans

i also tried

bootrec.exe /fixbootbootrec.exe /fixmbr

but still not booting to windows, grub and booting to Linux lost. However from live cd all files are ok.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The fixmbr writes the Windows boot loader to the MBR and directly boots Windows. You need to have Windows working as grub really can only chainload to boot a working Windows. Then once Windows is fixed, reinstall grub to MBR.

Windows is not case sensitive like Linux. So this is two identical entries and may be part of the problem as it will ot work with two. Backup and delete one or the other, rerun repairs and see if Windows boots.
    /Boot/bcd /Boot/BCD
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi, I am also an involuntary windows user at the moment and am using a Sony Vaio S13 (2013 edition).
    The problem is that it always simply starts windows.
    I got ubuntu 13.10 and windows 8.1 preview working previously in EFI mode, but I cannot remember how.
    I just upgraded from windows 8.1 preview to 8.1 rtm and, as I expected, it won't boot ubuntu anymore.
    So I tried around with boot repair, as the recommended repair told me to retry with another option I did it once again. Then afterwards, I tried an option in the advanced options, but to no avail.
    I'm seeing complaints in the logs about the ntfs partition not being healthy, but windows says it's healthy and I always shut it down properly.

Now I don't know what to try next and would be grateful for hints - thanks a lot!
    Here the pasts for the repairs:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/6738353/
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/6738392/
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/6738450/
    Last edited by Therion2011; January 12th, 2014 at 02:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@Therion2011
    At some point you installed a Windows boot loader to the MBR, that will never work as your Windows is in UEFI mode and will never boot in BIOS mode from MBR.
    You ran the rename for buggy UEFI. Not sure with your system if required or not. That is for systems with modified UEFI to only boot Windows. Can you boot the ubuntu entry in UEFI menu or one time boot key?
    Because of the rename both the ubuntu entry & Windows entry should take you to grub menu. But because of your upgrade the renamed file may have been overwritten by Windows.

Boot-Repairs rename copies this /EFI/microsoft/boot/shimx64.efi to bootmgfw.efi
    Actual Windows boot file, originally bootmgfw.efi, becomes this:
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi

With the renamed file you cannot directly boot Windows from UEFI menu as it really is shim.
    And a Windows update may rewrite the bootmgfw.efi file overwriting the shim version, so then if you can only boot the Windows version you have to rerun boot repair. If you can boot Ubuntu entry in UEFI menu, undo the rename.
    Since you updated Windows the backup of bootmgfw.efi that Boot-Repair renamed may be an older version and Windows wrote a new version.

Just to be careful I would backup your efi partition so you have all the current copies.

Review sizes & versions of these files.

Boot-Repairs rename copies this /EFI/microsoft/boot/shimx64.efi to bootmgfw.efi and the real Windows file is bkpbootmgfw.efi. But Windows update may have replaced the shim copy and made bootmgfw.efi another newer Windows copy.

/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

Normally I suggest this, but it may put the wrong (older) copy of bootmgfw.efi back.
    To undo & to rename files to their original names, you just need to tick the "Restore EFI backups" option of Boot-Repair.

Beans

Hi,

I've recently tried to replace Windows 8 with lubuntu 13.10 on my Acer Revo computer. I used the install lubuntu icon from a live CD and chose to erase Windows and install lubuntu. Now, whenever I try to boot from the hard drive I get the message "Reboot and choose a different boot method" (or something similar to that). I can still use a live CD to boot from but even though lubuntu is on the hard drive it won't boot. I ran Boot Repair and it detected efi. I tried it using both options offered but neither has worked. The url generated is: http://paste.ubuntu.com/6738991/

Really hope somebody smarter than me can help out as it's driving me nuts!

Cheers!

Page 172 of 235 FirstFirst ... 72122162170171172173174182222 ... LastLast