Page 17 of 235 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

I made the following changes:
    - update is now optional
    - included the Boot-Info-Script into Boot-Repair package (no download any more)

In the future, please report bugs in the bug tracker, and tick the "This bug is a security vulnerability" checkbutton if necessary.
    Last edited by YannBuntu; October 13th, 2011 at 09:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Does it still install dmraid and mdraid packages if not present on the system?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes it proposes to install them when RAID is detected (currently when the string "raid" or "/dev/mapper" is detected in the output of the "blkid" command).

Thanks for having filed a bug report. I put the link here for others: https://bugs.launchpad.net/boot-repair/+bug/873473

@all: does anybody know how to reliabily detect the RAID type ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This project is a very useful tool and I for one have seen that questions are promptly answered and requested changes handled quickly as possible. To me this is another example of the proper function and strength of the FOSS community.

I've watched the recent posts in this thread and have to comment. We've seen really very good security related enhancement ideas passed on in a way showing a lack of just plain common human respect. It just seems like much too often these days people just don't care about being nice. I know I'm going to see a lot of that in the media but I'd really rather not see that directed against someone providing a FOSS project that really helps a lot of people. Enough said.

I'd like to pass on some feedback toward making this project better and participate as best I can in making that happen. What is the best venue for passing enhancement requests? I don't yet have the skills to code in this project but I am working slowly toward that. I have requests concerning what is gathered for and presented to the user.

Like many others, it really helps for me to learn from using this to solve my issues and those of others I help in these forums. Given the recent discussion related to the boot info summary, this seems like a good time to really take a look at how that is used and how it could be improved. Should I discuss that here or on sourceforge or in some other way? Just let me know what your preference is for what I hope is a helpful conversation. I'm also available to help with testing and maybe more over time.

Thanks much
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks Jim for your kind words, and for helping people on this forum.

For suggestions, please fill a bug report on Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/boot-repair), and affect it as "wishlist", I find it easier to follow up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Thanks Jim for your kind words, and for helping people on this forum.

For suggestions, please fill a bug report on Launchpad (https://bugs.launchpad.net/boot-repair), and affect it as "wishlist", I find it easier to follow up.
    Will do, thanks!
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans

Exclamation Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Just used this tool and it destroyed the partition tables on all three of my connected hard drives, not just the one I wanted to repair (hdb). The /dev/hda partition table is particularly interesting now, with partitions of unknown type, of random lengths, in non-sequential order (thought that last bit was particularly interesting). /dev/hda was the drive my main system was on, with all my personal data, so I'm a bit annoyed about that.

Unfortunately I don't have the pastebin reference so there's probably not much that can be done in the way of debugging, but I wanted to sound a note of caution - if this thing goes wrong, it goes really dramatically wrong, with potentially widespread effects. At a bare minimum, I'd recommend detaching any working drives from the system before you let Boot-Repair loose on the non-working ones.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello Denny, thanks for your feedback, and sorry for the trouble.
    To repair the partition tables i suggest recovery tools such as TestDisk.
    After this, to help debug, please send me by email (yannubuntu ATT gmail) a ZIP of the /var/log/clean folder which should be located in your Ubuntu partition.

Beans

Seems like a nice tool that can solve a lot of problems automatically, but I don't know how to use it in my scenario.

I have a disk with 4 partitions and need to install grub in sda2, not sda (mbr)
    But there is only one option available under Place GRUB into: drop-down menu - sda

more info about my issue is in this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1863379

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by EC120 View Post
    Seems like a nice tool that can solve a lot of problems automatically, but I don't know how to use it in my scenario.
    If you want to install Grub to a partition rather than the MBR so you can chainload it you would use the bottom option in the graphic you posted.
    New to Wayland.

Retired.

Page 17 of 235 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast