Results 1,631 to 1,640 of 2344

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

@paul.catinean
    It looks like you have some free space after sda5. But I very much prefer to use gparted to create partitions in advance and then use Something Else or manual install to choose partition, format like ext4, mount like / (root) and if you want separate /home you can then also do that. Auto install just creates / & swap.

@steve-lubbs
    Which boot entry are you using. The new grub with 13.10 actually now creates correct boot entries for Windows. But Boot-Repair also ran its rename for a 'buggy' UEFI so only the bkpbootmgfw.efi file will boot.
    You can undo the rename if you can directly boot the ubuntu entry from the UEFI menu. Only some UEFI have been modified to only boot bootmgfw.efi and then we need the work around.

To undo & to rename files to their original names, you just need to tick the "Restore EFI backups" option of Boot-Repair. Then the os-prober boot entry booting bootmgfw.efi will work.

You may also want to house clean some or most of the entries Boot-Repair added to 25_custom. Details in link in my signature.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    @nick48
    Welcome to the forums.
    So both Ubuntu & Windows boot with UEFI and you have RAID.
    You have solved most of the really complicated issues.
    Only grub2's newest os-prober with 13.04 has been updated to add windows entries correctly to the grub menu. It normally installs BIOS entries that do not work with UEFI.
    But I do not even see the BIOS entries and that probably is due to the RAID.

Boot-Repair normally adds correct UEFI entries in 25_custom, but I am not sure if it will with your RAID configuration.
    Did RAID drivers get installed? But I do not know which is correct. Or even if they interfere if both installed.
    It looks like Boot-Repair used dmraid, is this already installed in your Ubuntu?
    sudo apt-get install dmraid
    This is more for Linux RAID as what little I know of RAID. so do not install if above works.
    sudo apt-get install mdadm

I have not seen a UEFI & RAID Windows boot stanza. If you want to experiment.

#Add menu entry to 40_custom, you can add several examples below to try.
    gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom

#update grub menu after any change
    sudo update-grub

This is a standard Windows 8, simplified entry, but does not show RAID. It specifies a UUID - I changed to your UUID for your FAT32 efi partition. But do not know if added modules may be needed. Grub auto adds some modules by default.

This shows several insmods or the adding of various modules for grub.

Looking in /boot/grub there is also a raid.mod which may mean you also need an insmod raid?

Update:
    Found this:
    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1275814

But with UEFI you need part_gpt, fat, your /dev/mapper for your efi partition and your UUID or almost the same as I posted above. (Do not copy this)
    menuentry "Windows 8 Loader" {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ntfs
    set root='(/dev/mapper/pdc_fibaedjhfp1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 2262C76C62C74371
    chainloader +1
    }

If the extra set root is required add it to the examples I have above with this line just before the search line.
    set root='/dev/mapper/isw_bjdhdaadjh_ASUS_OS1)'
    [/QUOTE]

Did dmraid get installed? Yes

I didn't realize my setup was so unique before attempting to install lol.

I copied and pasted both and updated grub.

After restarting I had two additional entries as expected.
    I tried the first one Windows bootmgfw.efi and it boot straight to windows as I would expect!

Does that means do I still need the other option?
    "Windows 8 UEFI

Also after I ran ubuntu software update and updated ubuntu I now have an extra ubuntu on my grub menu.
    Here is a picture of my grub menu
    http://imgur.com/uIZFTnR (I didn't want to directly link to it because the image is rather large)

Basically all I"m looking for is an ubuntu option and windows. I understand the advanced options and setup is part of it but not sure If I need the second windows options and idk what the second ubuntu 13.10 is all about after updating.

Also after booting to ubuntu this time my fan is maxed out and my batter status indicator is flashing says plugged in but not charging.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Last edited by nick48; December 9th, 2013 at 12:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Every kernel update will give you another entry in the menu. I normally keep 2, current & one old one and houseclean when it gets to several. I prefer to use synaptic, but that is not installed by default anymore.

If first entry works you can remove the second and/ or edit the first to be whatever description you may want.

I have seen other posts on fan and battery type issues. But mine works so I have not follow that issue.
    Mine goes to max until system starts.
    I think that may be related to video modes, but do not know. Search forum or create a new thread if you cannot resolve it.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Every kernel update will give you another entry in the menu. I normally keep 2, current & one old one and houseclean when it gets to several. I prefer to use synaptic, but that is not installed by default anymore.

If first entry works you can remove the second and/ or edit the first to be whatever description you may want.

I have seen other posts on fan and battery type issues. But mine works so I have not follow that issue.
    Mine goes to max until system starts.
    I think that may be related to video modes, but do not know. Search forum or create a new thread if you cannot resolve it.
    Alright I will checkout synaptic.

How do I know which option to choose in the grub menu now for ubuntu are they the samething?

I will search form to see if I find anything and post if I don't find anything.

Thank you very much for your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Determine your current kernel, you do not want to delete the one you are using & should keep one more.
    uname -a
    uname -r
    In synaptic search for linux-image to choose to delete old ones
    Also command line in post #8
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1283521

First entry is always the newest kernel.

Beans

@oldfred

Many thanks for replying! I was saw some tutorials suggesting I should use gparted and all that...

Do you think it's possible to provide a tutorial or a step by step plan on how to install windows and ubuntu 12.04 alongside gracefully (I can format the whole drive no problem)

Booting in uefi, partitioning with gparted, create swap etc etc

I managed until the last post to install ubuntu by creating a swap space of 4gb and installing on free space (The installer saw the other paritions because I installed windows in uefi mode)

I then used the boot script to fix things but I have 2 entries for windows with wierd names and in windows I can see a partition and I can format it (I think it's the linux one) so it's not that elegant so to speak

Any help is greatly appreciated, many thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@ paul.catinean:
    Please start your own NEW thread with an apporpriate title, and we can continue helping you there. This Thread is for boot issues related to Boot-Repair...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Sorry fantab, will do, many thanks!

Beans

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6563072/

Hello all i am having trouble getting my computer to boot, i deleted my MBR which was on the drives i just turned into a raid! Whoops!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@wormeyman
    I do not know RAID and there are many types of RAID. Is the the BIOS RAID?
    Is this a Windows only system?
    Windows has to have its boot loader in the MBR of the boot drive which with RAID is the root of the RAID.
    Or are you booting outside of the RAID and mounting the RAID as data?

Normally drives over 2TiB need gpt partitioning. But you seem to have a not so standard MBR with 4K sectors. Usually drive is 4K sectors but still the standard 512 byte sectors. But then you have to have gpt.
    So some of the Linux tools are having issues seeing drives correctly.
    ERROR: unsupported sector size 4096 on /dev/sdf.
    ERROR: unsupported sector size 4096 on /dev/sdg.
    MBR tech details including 2TiB limit and GPT link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...antages_of_GPT
    GPT Advantages (older but still valid) see post#2 by srs5694:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1457901

Page 164 of 235 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214 ... LastLast