Results 1,561 to 1,570 of 2344

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

@ kevang2
    The only reason I suggest undoing the rename, is that I expect Windows will do an update and replace its efi file, overwriting the grub version. Best to have ubuntu working and Windows working from UEFI, but not all UEFI allow that, so that is why Boot-Repair does rename.
    When it worked before was that with BIOS boot? UEFI boot is totally different and needs different settings or drivers.
    If recovery mode does not work then nomodeset is not the solution.

I have in my notes other Asus needed this.
    Some Asus need this boot parameter pci=nomsi

Some other Intel video system laptops needed one of these two (may vary by Intel chip version?):

acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1

And there was one model K55N that would not work with any parameters (three users, at least one knowledgeable that tried many boot parameters).
    But many other Asus model laptops have worked.

Do you have the latest version of the UEFI/BIOS from Asus, vendors also are manking many fixes to UEFI.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    When it worked before was that with BIOS boot? UEFI boot is totally different and needs different settings or drivers.
    Sorry, I don't understand the question. Is it even possible to have a BIOS boot on a PC with UEFI (I thought UEFI replaced BIOS)? If so, what does BIOS boot mean? Currently I only know I installed Ubuntu 12.04 by booting from DVD and choosing the "install alongside Windows" option. After that I had GRUB and Ubuntu working (but not Windows - running Boot Repair then reversed the situation).

I have in my notes other Asus needed this.
    Some Asus need this boot parameter pci=nomsi

Some other Intel video system laptops needed one of these two (may vary by Intel chip version?):

acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor
    i915.i915_enable_rc6=1

And there was one model K55N that would not work with any parameters (three users, at least one knowledgeable that tried many boot parameters).
    But many other Asus model laptops have worked.

Do you have the latest version of the UEFI/BIOS from Asus, vendors also are manking many fixes to UEFI.
    I'll try these suggestions when I get home...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As far as I know all current UEFI have a BIOS boot mode.
    UEFI Compatibility Support Module (CSM), which emulates a BIOS mode

From a UEFI menu, you can boot Ubuntu install in either BIOS boot or UEFI boot. UEFI menu often is not clear on the difference.
    This shows purple BIOS boot screen & grub menu from a UEFI boot.

Shows install with screen shots for both BIOS & UEFI, so you know which you are using.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Boot-Repair can convert a BIOS boot to UEFI (and vice-versa) if drive is gpt and correct partitions are available. For UEFI you need an efi partition near beginning of drive and for BIOS you nee a bios_grub partition for grub to correct install to gpt drive's protective MBR. All gpt drives have a MBR with one partition entry so old disk tools do not attempt to partition drive or least let you know something is on drive.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Boot repair was unable to repair my issue. Per an earlier post, I opened this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...2#post12854322

The results of the boot-repair are here:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6456089/

any help is appreciated.

Beans

This is the reason, why I through all my old drives. Almost every month I had problems with using my data. While I'm not tired I used software hetman partition recovery. In helped me for 2-3 times, but then I decide to buy new hard drive. And everything stopped. I you want you can try this program. I found it here http://hetmanrecovery.com/data_recovery/

Beans

Yes I did erase my EFI partition with the Windows boot files and thought it'd be suitable for Ubuntu to arrange the things... I removed the whole partition and repartitioned the first ~1 gig, flagged it as EFI partition in the partitioning section while installing Ubuntu. But I guess it just made the things worse, now I'll try and repair with Hiren's Boot or with Windows recovery but I am now unsure what to do with that first 1 Gb. Shall I erase/format it (in case Ubuntu created the boot files somewhere else?) or leave it as it is so that Windows disk can repair it, thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Each hard drive can have only one efi boot partition. But 1GB is a bit large for the efi partition, unless you have a very large drive and then can leave it as reorganizing can also be difficult.

You will need the Windows repairCD or Flash drive to restore boot files, unless you backed that up before hand. With UEFI you do have a backup of the main Windows boot file in c: but I do not think you have the BCD.
    Windows UEFI install should have backup of bootmgfw.efi here:
    C:\Windows\Boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi from a working Windows x86_64 installation.

Also if you ran Boot-Repair before changes, it may have backups.

Beans

Now it's all messed up... I had driver problems with Ubuntu and felt like reinstalling it to its default state. I used my flash drive for this which did recognize the 'old' linux software and asked if I wanted to replace the new system to be built on it, and I accepted it. HOWEVER, it seems it did not even try to install Ubuntu on the old built, but wiped out the partition table and did make it's own choices for the installation... Now I'm really tired of try-learning these things and I don't even think it's possible to get the old files back (or is it?) as the new Ubuntu is installed on newly built partitions.

I really wonder if that was a problem of my system or is it really the way it should be done while installing the new system over the old one. If it's not about me the way the partitions being treated should really be improved.

Although one single Windows repair CD would solve my problem, I went on making mistakes and I don't blame anyone else for this, but I'll try and do my best to save other people some time and not do my faults which I think is caused by insufficient remarks in the installation steps. Thank you for your support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have never trusted any of the auto install options. Generally they seem to work, but often then when things start to go wrong, they just snowball.

I find that Something else or manual install has always worked, but then you have to know more than most new users. You have to manually partition, choose partitions format like ext4 and mount like / (root). Only users that have previously installed or know about partitions could do that.

I also find it safer to have Windows on one drive and Linux on other drives, but many users today have laptops, so they do not have that option unless they use an external drive.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I have never trusted any of the auto install options. Generally they seem to work, but often then when things start to go wrong, they just snowball.

I find that Something else or manual install has always worked, but then you have to know more than most new users. You have to manually partition, choose partitions format like ext4 and mount like / (root). Only users that have previously installed or know about partitions could do that.

I also find it safer to have Windows on one drive and Linux on other drives, but many users today have laptops, so they do not have that option unless they use an external drive.
    Thank you oldfred for a very wise and valuable post

Maybe I can add, that many new laptops have USB 3 or eSATA, so that it can work quite well with a system installed to an external drive, for example a USB 3 pendrive. See this link https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...#Prerequisites

Page 157 of 235 FirstFirst ... 57107147155156157158159167207 ... LastLast