Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2344

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

@gonzakloperu
    Boot-Repair is reporting your Windows is 98% full. Did you shrink it too much to make room for Linux? Windows needs 30% free space to work well and at 10% free it slows to a crawl and you may have difficulty running a defrag.

You also show lots of PBR or partition boot sector fixes. You need to run chkdsk on sdb2 until there are no errors. And after any resize it need chkdsk run immediately. Always best to resize Windows from inside Windows using Windows tools, but create partitions with gparted or during install.

Partition table seems to be saying sdb3 is Linux but PBR is saying it is Windows? Unless you have data you want to recover probably best to reformat and reinstall Ubuntu.

I think the MBR signature is either the above conflict or that you have an extended partition with no logical partitions inside of it.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi, i tried to fix my boot issues with ubuntu with the Boot-Repair Disk installed on a usb-stick. I used the recommended option but i still get the same error:

alert /dev/disk/by-uuid/ does not exist

http://paste.ubuntu.com/6402400/

I already tried most of the hints i found online but i'm very new to ubuntu. It could be something very obvious.

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@evershauke
    I do not see anything really wrong with install. Flash drive is showing all sorts of gpt table issues and it would not normally have gpt.

I have this in my notes, but usually it is change from IDE to AHCI.
    ALERT! /dev/disk ... does not exist." error
    Boot the machine and go to BIOS configuration (F2) and change:
    Advanced -> SATA Controller Mode
    from "AHCI" to "Compatibility"

The other work around is to reinstall with a smaller / (root) of 10 to 25GB and use rest of drive as /home. That way all the boot files are at beginning of drive. Some BIOS and/or grub configuration seem to have that type of issue, but more common on external USB drives. You have to use Something else or manual install to create more than the default install of / & swap.

I used something else to reinstall to an existing partition, but this does not include a resize.

May be best to run fixparts on flash drive and then reinstall to that for you installer/repair flash drive.
    FixParts is the easiest way to remove the stray GPT data. GPT fdisk (gdisk or sgdisk) can do it, but the procedure's a bit more involved.
    http://www.rodsbooks.com/fixparts/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you very much. Your advice fixed my issues.

Beans

New to linux, expert windows user. First time caller!

Ran a varient of Ubuntu called Navigatrix off of a cd, and was amazed at how far linux had come since the last time I played with it.

Since I was on an old machine running XP, I decided to see if installing to the Hardrive made a difference in speed, selected the install to hard drive, machine would not boot would only give me a grub rescue prompt. I reinstalled again and now I get a error that says: attempt to read or write outside of (Hd0). Grub Rescue.....

Here is my boot-repair-disk file:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/6404162

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Guy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@gmgeneral
    Is BIOS hard drive setting at Large/LBA, but not IDE nor RAID? That sometimes makes a difference.

Also some BIOS and/or grub have issues with boot files beyond either 100 or 130GB on a drive. The only work around for that is to shrink Windows more and have either a smaller /boot or small / (root) with separate /home or shared NTFS data partition for rest of drive. All boot files or entire /boot must be inside the first 100GB of drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    @gmgeneral
    All boot files or entire /boot must be inside the first 100GB of drive.
    You got it! Shrunk everything up and it worked great.

This is really a different linux experience than I am used to.

It worked out of the box on a CD boot, with WiFI wireless, video and the like, that has never happened to me before!

But most astonishing to me, and I am most thankful for. HELP when something went wrong...

You Rock Oldfred!

Guy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My old Dell laptop has Windows XP and Ubuntu 12.04 installed. I wanted to try out Xubuntu so I installed it, but when I try to boot into it I get this error:
    Error: No such device <UUID>
    Error: Unknown filesystem
    Error: You need to load a kernel first
    I can boot into Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows just fine, just not the third partition.

I had this problem before when I tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 on the same hard drive. I thought it was because of problems with logical partitions, so I deleted that partition and started over. I ran fsck yesterday, and it seemed to check out ok. The UUIDs match as well, so I'm stumped...

I ran boot-repair but it didn't fix the problem. http://paste.ubuntu.com/6409757/ (Note: The working ubuntu partition is /dev/sda3. The non-working one is /dev/sda2.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@KamiKazeKenji
    Same suggestion as above in #1536 & 1537.

Boot-Repair gives the message on the last line as a warning. Sometimes system work ok, but those that do not may need all boot files inside the first 100GB of the drive. Shrink Windows, but do not shrink so much. Windows needs 30% free to work well, you are already showing 92% full and Windows should be real slow running. Houseclean, backup or move data out of sda1 to make room for a /boot for Ubuntu fully inside the first 100GB.
    If need be add a NTFS data partition at end of drive and move some data there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This'll take some work, but I'll give it a try. First, some questions...

My Windows partition (sda1) is 120GB, and is at the beginning of the disk. So assuming my computer can only see the first 100GB of the disk for boot, doesn't that mean that BOTH of my Ubuntu partitions wouldn't be able to boot?

Also, boot-repair suggested I make a 200MB or so boot partition. Should I do so, and move it to the front of the disk?
    Elegant as the Wind, Silent as a Forest,
    Mysterious as the Ocean, Fierce as Fire,
    Immovable as a Mountain, Righteous as the Light,
    I am... KamiKazeKenji!

Page 154 of 235 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204 ... LastLast