Page 138 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188 ... LastLast
Results 1,371 to 1,380 of 2344

Thread: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in one click

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: [Boot-Repair] Graphical tool to repair the PC boot in 1 click!

Power failures, forced shutdowns or other corruption often need fsck to repair a file system that was in the middle of doing something.

#From liveCD so everything is unmounted,swap off if necessary, change example shown with partition sdb1 to your partition(s)
    #e2fsck is used to check the ext2/ext3/ext4 family of file systems. -p trys fixes where response not required
    sudo e2fsck -C0 -p -f -v /dev/sdb1
    #if errors: -y auto answers yes for fixes needing response, also see man e2fsck
    sudo e2fsck -f -y -v /dev/sdb1

I think if not also running on sda6, you can run it from your install on sda6 and change to commands to use sda1. But if you also want to run fsck on sda6 you will need to use liveCD, DVD or flash drive.

Also best not to force shutdown. Remember the elephants.

Never force shutdown your laptop. Use Alt+SysRq R-E-I-S-U-B instead. (For newer laptops they don't bother adding the SysRq print to the key, but it's the same as the PrtScr key)

Holding down Alt and SysRq (which is the Print Screen key) while slowly typing REISUB
    R-E-I-S-U-B to force shutdown
    A good way to remember it is.
    Raising Skinny Elephants Is Utterly Boring ...or
    Reboot System Even If Ultimately Broken ...LOL.
    http://kember.net/articles/reisub-th...linux-restart/
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12543274
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank you so much! Very much appreciated and I now have access to my files! I had no idea about rseiub - have now documented. I still only have access to my 64bit version in grub. should I run boot-repair again to gain access to the 32bit? If I have to export my data and rebuild from scratch I will, but it's not my idea solution (can't think why )
    Thanking you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If grub did an update when you could not read the sda1 partition, it may just need a new update if you can read it now.

sudo update-grub

If that does not work run Boot-Repair and post a link to a new BootInfo report.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I am trying to fix my friend's computer. It originally had 2 dual booting versions of Windows: windos 7 and windows 8. We overwrote Windows 8 and installed Ubuntu, hoping we would still be able to boot into Windows 7 via grub. However, Windows 7 does not appear on the Grub boot loader. I'm pretty sure that it is located in SDA 8. However, running boot-repair failed to solve the problem. I've attached a copy of the report produced by boot-repair.

Could you please help me fix this?
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/6053550/

I have sent this information via email to boot.repair@gmail.com as well.

Dave

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How was windows7 booting originally. It looks like grub4dos or one of those easyboot programs. Normally it finds boot @ /boot/bcd. Also Windows 7 usually has two partitions. One for the boot and the other for the system. Mine doesn't because I hack it. What about sda5. Could that have been the windows 7 boot partition.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If grub did an update when you could not read the sda1 partition, it may just need a new update if you can read it now.

sudo update-grub

If that does not work run Boot-Repair and post a link to a new BootInfo report.
    Thank you again. Updating grub didn't help with boot options. I have run boot-repair again and I now have bootable access to my 32bit version!! Outstanding support and program (boot-repair) thank you! I oddly have half a screen of boot options which I don;t understand. I just use the first one. If it helps, paste.ubuntu.com/6053204 relates. It's not a problem, but I'm concerned there's still something wrong. Regardless I wanted to thank you. My disaster is over!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@tdit2
    You have a lot of older kernels. You may want to houseclean. I prefer to keep current and one older one just as backup. I normally use synaptic.

Determine your current kernel:
    uname -a
    uname -r
    In synaptic search for linux-image to choose to delete old ones
    Also command line in post #8
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1283521
    cd /boot
    ls vmlinuz*
    sudo apt-get purge linux-image-[version]-generic linux-image-[version]-generic
    Multiples, just be sure not to delete your current kerne.:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.5.0-{XX,XX,XX,XX,XX,XX}-generic
    Example:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.5.0-{17,18,19,21,22,23,24}-generic

@davearthur-stanley
    Windows only boots from primary partitions. You deleted the install in the primary partition that Windows had to use to boot from. All installs particularly installs to logical partitions have all boot files in the one primary NTFS partition that is the active partition, which is the one with the boot flag.

Multibooters, Pictures here worth 1000+ words
    http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html

You have remaining primary partitions, so you may be able to shrink the Linux sda1, make sda3 100MB, NTFS with boot flag and install boot files or repair Windows install to then get it to boot.

Beans

But you have installed Ubuntu in BIOS mode on a UEFI system.
    How to do it better?

How to install Ubuntu correctly?

@pavel3 Please do not ask about Hackintosh, forum does not support those systems.
    Hackintosh/Apple EULA violation.
    We do not support circumventing TOS, EULA, etc here. Such threads will be closed and offending users will be penalized with infractions and warnings.
    But you have installed Ubuntu in BIOS mode on a UEFI system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Boot-Repair can convert a BIOS install to UEFI by uninstalling grub-pc and installing grub-efi.

But if reinstalling you have to boot Ubuntu installer flash drive in UEFI mode not BIOS mode. UEFI menu will show both.

See link in my signature for more info on UEFI.

Beans

I though I boot Ubuntu installer flash drive in UEFI mode, since there was displayed word EFI or UEFI before the word Kingston in the boot selection menu.

Boot-Repair can convert a BIOS install to UEFI by uninstalling grub-pc and installing grub-efi.

But if reinstalling you have to boot Ubuntu installer flash drive in UEFI mode not BIOS mode. UEFI menu will show both.

See link in my signature for more info on UEFI.
    Last edited by pavel3; September 2nd, 2013 at 05:26 PM.

Page 138 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188 ... LastLast