Thread: so what is against the "code of conduct"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

so what is against the "code of conduct"?

someone was offended by a sound of your pee joke on the ban the user above you thread.
    Honestly, I thought we were all old enough to take a joke.
    So.......
    What IS too far?
    sometimes its our mistakes that make our biggest achievements.

Beans

Re: so what is against the "code of conduct"?

Moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct

Beans
    Hidden!

I thought we were all old enough to take a joke.
    From my reading of past introduction threads here, a staff member noted that there have been members here as young as 8 years old.

Any jokes (I'm unaware of the joke you are referring to exactly) would have to be acceptable to children, and in particular their parent/s. Also this site is used as a resource in some worksites and possibly schools (sfw etc).

It is all about the image Ubuntu (Canonical) wants projected to corporate users and also concerning "family values" etc.

Even if you think the cafe is for letting your hair down and relaxing, note that general forum users quite often "accidentally" stumble on threads in there via links etc. Hence the cafe games is under pretty much the same level of C.o.C control as the rest of the forums.

uRock has already posted the C.o.C link .
    Last edited by yetiman64; May 27th, 2011 at 04:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by yetiman64 View Post
    From my reading of past introduction threads here, a staff member noted that there have been members here as young as 8 years old.

Any jokes (I'm unaware of the joke you are referring to exactly) would have to be acceptable to children, and in particular their parent/s. Also this site is used as a resource in some worksites and possibly schools (sfw etc).

It is all about the image Ubuntu (Canonical) wants projected to corporate users and also concerning "family values" etc.

Even if you think the cafe is for letting your hair down and relaxing, note that general forum users quite often "accidentally" stumble on threads in there via links etc. Hence the cafe games is under pretty much the same level of C.o.C control as the rest of the forums.

uRock has already posted the C.o.C link .
    ...I see
    and I agree with you completely.
    I just never thought of that.
    sometimes its our mistakes that make our biggest achievements.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by 3177 View Post
    someone was offended by a sound of your pee joke on the ban the user above you thread.
    Honestly, I thought we were all old enough to take a joke.
    So.......
    What IS too far?
    In fact,I was not offended,but that was certainly an abuse.Although I AM old enough,I reported the inappropriate content.I did that because this forum has users of all ages...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've a seven year old and I wouldn't laugh if I heard an adult say what was written in front of them. I nearly reported the darn thing, I'll apologise now that I didn't.

The joke was applied in thread after me and I thought it wasn't a very funny way to imply that I am a girl at all - it inferred stalking and that is no joke to victims of such crimes, for sure.

I would much prefer the user had posted more bluntly "Are you a big girl, robsoles?" - I could have much more mirthfully responded "Why no! I'm a size 10, thank-you!"
    NEED HELP? | [SOLVED] | MS hide
    A little nonsense now and then...
    If this is a game thread and you are going to post I hope you have read the Original Post.

I just had my thread closed because I had a general question about about unix relevant to my homework. The funny thing is the person who closed it was a staff member, shortly after knowing it was a general question and assisting my in gaining the answer to my question, he then contradicts his own actions after helping me... The funny thing is, had I asked the question and not mentioned anything about my teachers question to his students would the forum have helped me?

This forum is full of students and all the questions that they wield is all correlated to the work they perform in class. In case most staff members haven't realized that not everyone works the same, most people cannot gain what they need on their own, they need the help from others and assistance.

My questions was a general inquiry with me requesting more feedback and a valid answer as to why.. I did not ask for the answer, I asked for the history, its conventions and how it works. So don't tell me to read the code of conduct, it is you who need to rethink your policy and what the actions of the public is really requesting from you.
    Moderate Ubuntu User

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntwha View Post
    I just had my thread closed because I had a general question about about unix relevant to my homework. The funny thing is the person who closed it was a staff member, shortly after knowing it was a general question and assisting my in gaining the answer to my question, he then contradicts his own actions after helping me... The funny thing is, had I asked the question and not mentioned anything about my teachers question to his students would the forum have helped me?

This forum is full of students and all the questions that they wield is all correlated to the work they perform in class. In case most staff members haven't realized that not everyone works the same, most people cannot gain what they need on their own, they need the help from others and assistance.

My questions was a general inquiry with me requesting more feedback and a valid answer as to why.. I did not ask for the answer, I asked for the history, its conventions and how it works. So don't tell me to read the code of conduct, it is you who need to rethink your policy and what the actions of the public is really requesting from you.
    If a question is worded as a school project, then we close the thread. If you have a problem with the thread's closure, then please feel free to start a thread in the Resolution Center.

If a student needs help with his/her work, then the student needs to talk to the teacher and get help. We aren't going to allow people to do your homework for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I posted the offending joke in the "banned" thread and it's a film quote from "The Other Guys" starring Will Ferrell. It wasn't directed AT anyone or meant to pointedly offend, in the same way that none of the comments in that thread are deliberately aimed to hurt or offend.

However I fully accept that if youngsters are present on the forum, then we probably don't want to expose them to that.

Sorry to those that thought I was somehow targeting them.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Ok - this isn't a general what's going on thread - if people have issues the place to take them is the Resolution Centre.

http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123