Thread: Nautilus forcing its own Desktop in Xubuntu?

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Nautilus forcing its own Desktop in Xubuntu?

I installed Nautilus Elementary in Xubuntu. The problem is that Nautilus insists on starting up its own desktop (overlaying? Xubuntu's desktop). How do I prevent this (without uninstalling Nautilus?). Right now, I can't see my normal desktop, and there are no titlebars. Everything's a mess.

Also: How do I restart the window manager from the command line in Xubuntu?
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; May 26th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

Re: Nautilus forcing its own Desktop in Xubuntu?

launch nautilus like this:
    Code:
    nautilus --no-desktop

Beans

There's another way which doesn't use --no-desktop, I like it better since you don't have to mess with the Nautilus .desktop file and it's helpful in case you forget --no-desktop or if another program tries to open Nautilus...

You've noticed that if you kill Nautilus it just respawns and takes over the desktop again. In Xfce4 Settings Manager>>Session and Startup>>Session, set Nautilus>>Restart Style to "Never" and then kill Nautilus. While you're there, do the same to Thunar since you'll be using it infrequently and I haven't noticed any dramatic speed decrease from not having the daemon running.

Now run the following 2 commands in a terminal...
    Code:
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /apps/nautilus/preferences/show_desktop false &
    Code:
    gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/background/draw_background false &
    You can now start Nautilus normally and it won't take over. Do so to get the daemon running and then log out and "Save session for future logins". Nautilus takes a second to open the first time you use it in a session, it's about as fast as Thunar after that.

You can undo the gconf commands by substituting the word false with true.

To change desktop wallpapers, either use Xfce4 Settings Manager>>Desktop or open Thunar, right-click an image and choose "Set as wallpaper".

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by hhh; May 27th, 2011 at 05:37 AM.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks HHH. I was out this evening. I'm back now. I was able to reset Nautilus and Thunar to Never, but the window manager doesn't seem to be starting (no titlebars, keyboard shortcuts, etc....) I can't type anything in the terminal or ALT-F2. I can't do squat until I get the window manager working.

Edit: I finally was able to get into a terminal by right clicking on the desktop and choosing "Open Terminal Here". From there, I typed XFWM4 (after trying a number of other options). This worked. Now I can try your other directions.

Edit: OK... thread marked as solved. Thank you HHH. Everything is back to normal. Phew. How the heck do you know this stuff?
    Last edited by neu5eeCh; May 27th, 2011 at 02:47 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    How the heck do you know this stuff?
    I've been using Xfce for about a year now, and slowly learning to customize it...mostly trial and error, some help from this and other forums, a bit from the Xfce Wiki...
    http://wiki.xfce.org/

I don't bother with the Xfce forum (they didn't even accept my registration, I have no idea why), and I don't use IRC, but you can always try those avenues too. Feel free to PM me with questions, I might not know the answer but it can't hurt.

Oh yeah, it's hhh, no affiliation with the wrestler!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hhh View Post
    Oh yeah, it's hhh, no affiliation with the wrestler!
    I was seriously going to get a hold of him and ask if it was.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by hhh View Post
    You've noticed that if you kill Nautilus it just respawns and takes over the desktop again. In Xfce4 Settings Manager>>Session and Startup>>Session, set Nautilus>>Restart Style to "Never" and then kill Nautilus.
    The problem with that solution is that next time you start Nautilus it comes back with a new PID, and again it has by default auto restart set to "IMMEDIATELY".

SOULUTION!:

Code:
    sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/nautilus.desktop
    In it, change this row:
    Code:
    X-GNOME-AutoRestart=false
    (found it at: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=119254 )