Hello. This is how I'm running Ubuntu: Ubuntu 11.04 installed on a virtual machine using VMWare Workstation v7.0.1.

My Problem:
I cannot scroll using the touchpad (on my Sony VAIO E series)

What I've tried:
Edit some files, rename some files, move some files, log in to virtual terminals, some reboots, set my laptop on fire, putting out the fire; but nothing worked. Here's thoroughly what I did:
  • After some searching, I found out that it has something to do with the xorg.conf. I had to edit in the following:
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "vmmouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
    Option "Buttons" "5"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
    EndSection
  • So I did "sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf", and it opened up a blank file. I navigated to the folder /etc/X11/ to find out that xorg.conf does not exist there
  • After some more searching, I had to "sudo Xorg -configure" to generate a new xorg.conf (after stopping gdm)
  • So I "Ctrl+Alt+F2" and logged into the virtual terminal; did "stop gdm"; did "sudo Xorg -configure", it gave me some errors but in the end it generted the xorg.conf.new file somewhere.
  • So I "start gdm"; open up the new xorg file (it had a lot of sections; I have it if someone wants to see it), change the section I have to change; renamed and copied the file to /etc/X11/
  • Restart my virtual machine and voila!, Ubuntu does not boot up =D (stuck at the "Ubuntu" with 5 dots screen).
  • After some reboots, I managed to log into a virtual terminal; did "stop gdm"; renamed the xorg.conf file to something else; "start gdm" and I'm back into GNOME, safe and sound.

So...can someone help me out? I have no problem in reinstalling Ubuntu again and starting from scratch if that's what it takes.

If it's worth anything, I'm using an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card.