Thread: Ubuntu Cloud and Server?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu Cloud and Server?

Right now i only have a few questions about a "Cloud" and a "Server" namely...what are they? What does a Cloud do and how do i interact with it? Same with a Server...what does it do and how does it pertain to what i do everyday?
    Im more interested in the server btw. From what ive read, in a home server its always connected to the computers on your network and always exchanging info? At least thats what i got from all the gibberish i was reading online. I would really appreciate it if someone put it in simple terms plz.

Thanks very much...this is probably a lot to cover.
    Emachines em250 / 160GB Hard Drive / 1GB RAM / Intel Atom N270 / Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 / Ubuntu 10.10

Toshiba Satellite C855D/ 60GB SSD & 500GB HDD/ 8GB RAM / AMD A10-4600M /
    Radeon HD 7660G / Ubuntu MATE 16.04 & Win 10

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Cloud and Server?

Well, those are some "special" installs for some requirements:

Server:
    Installs a minimal CLI (command line interface) with internet wich is more than enought to install a web server, mail server, ftp server, file sharing server and stuff like that. It uses barely no resources so you can spend all your CPU/RAM in running the services. It doesn't install a Graphical Enviroment, and it's not meant for "End User" but for a 24/7 server computer.

Cloud:
    Mostly the same as a server install, but this focus on creating virtualized machines services, so you can "create" several server machines all running from inside only one physical machine. You could google for "virtualization" and "cloud computing" if you need more info.

Best regards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu Cloud and Server?

Quote Originally Posted by LordNeo View Post
    Well, those are some "special" installs for some requirements:

Server:
    Installs a minimal CLI (command line interface) with internet wich is more than enought to install a web server, mail server, ftp server, file sharing server and stuff like that. It uses barely no resources so you can spend all your CPU/RAM in running the services. It doesn't install a Graphical Enviroment, and it's not meant for "End User" but for a 24/7 server computer.

Cloud:
    Mostly the same as a server install, but this focus on creating virtualized machines services, so you can "create" several server machines all running from inside only one physical machine. You could google for "virtualization" and "cloud computing" if you need more info.

Best regards
    OK...sorry im not very computer savvy so im not sure what all that means.
    But im not very interested in the Cloud. Im more interested in the Server.
    What are its uses in a home...for a general computer user? Does it back up your files or somthing?
    Emachines em250 / 160GB Hard Drive / 1GB RAM / Intel Atom N270 / Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 / Ubuntu 10.10

Toshiba Satellite C855D/ 60GB SSD & 500GB HDD/ 8GB RAM / AMD A10-4600M /
    Radeon HD 7660G / Ubuntu MATE 16.04 & Win 10