Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ok, I give, how do you get new software?

Beans

Re: ok, I give, how do you get new software?

Hi everyone.
    From reading this thread I now understand that syntaptic does not upgrade packages, but should update packages, particularly security fixes.
    I installed hoary-rc recently. I have noticed that thunderbird has not been updated to 1.02 from 1.0 and as far as I know this was a security release. There are also a few other packages which have not been updated either. aibword for example (2.2.2 installed, most recent is 2.2.6) and a few others. Now I realise that this is a release candidate, but I recall noticing this also in warty, a stable release.
    So, my question is, how do you contact the package maintainers to give them a gentle nudge/reminder/notification that a newer package has been released with potential critical bug fixes/security fixes???
    Thanks all you Ubuntumeisters, in advance.

Beans

Forget the question, I posted a new thread for this. http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...337#post116337

Beans

Unhappy Re: ok, I give, how do you get new software?

Finally, surely someone here will be able to give me some answers...

If one doesn't have access to the internet from the computer running Ubuntu, how can you download packages without use of "repositories". I'd just like to download the .deb files to a USB drive, to take home and install. But for the life of me I can't figure out where you can get the files from. I am running the AMD64 version of Warty and just want to listen to my MP3s!!!

Please someone, I am sure this is really stupid, but someone will be able to explain (at which point I will likely realise I am a moron).

Cheers

Eddie

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by techn9ne View Post
    The default apt sources list will only show minor upgrades for software and security stuff for stability.

If you want the latest and greatest firefox, gaim and thunderbird use backports :

http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/

Take out what you have for backports and add this :

# backport
    deb http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports warty-backports main universe multiverse restricted
    deb http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/backports warty-extras main universe multiverse restricted

## EDIT ##

Umm I don't like synaptic. Go into console and type:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

that will upgrade your firefox, thunderbird and gaim
    Hello, but this solution didn't work either. On top of that, I think the repositories you posted a link to aren't working right now I followed the instructions at Backports section of the ubuntu wiki, but their repository didn't work either. I'm still seeing the latest version of Firefox available as v 1.0.8 where as the latest stable version is something like FF v 1.5.X.X Any idea what to do?
    Last edited by naser; October 1st, 2006 at 03:24 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by naser View Post
    Hello, but this solution didn't work either. On top of that, I think the repositories you posted a link to aren't working right now I followed the instructions at Backports section of the ubuntu wiki, but their repository didn't work either. I'm still seeing the latest version of Firefox available as v 1.0.8 where as the latest stable version is something like FF v 1.5.X.X Any idea what to do?

Check the dates on this post, it's about a year and a half old. This was posted when Warty was in release candidate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12