Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Google Music Beta vs Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Google Music Beta vs Linux

Quote Originally Posted by Anno8 View Post
    How do I get the native Google Music Manager for Linux to start at login and remember my password/not ask for it every time I boot up my PC...?

I have this same problem

And also I don't have the icon in the notification aera when Google Music Manager is running

Anyone know how to solve both problems ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hfdragon View Post
    Anyone know how to solve both problems ?
    Wait for an update, I guess...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks to this thread over on Google's support group, I figured out how to fix the "Could not identify your computer" error.

Music Manager creates a settings database (sqlite3) at ~/.config/google-musicmanager/Peer.db. I used 'sqlitebrowser' to edit the database but you could easily do it with sqlite3 from the terminal as well.

You have to update the value for "MachineIdentifier" in the table "CONFIG" with your network adapter's MAC Address. You can find this by right-clicking your network icon in the notification area and going to "Connection Information".

Since this doesn't appear to affect everyone using Ubuntu 11.04 I am inclined to believe it only happens if you're using a wireless device where your interface is not 'eth0'.

-n8

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Anno8 View Post
    How do I get the native Google Music Manager for Linux to start at login and remember my password/not ask for it every time I boot up my PC...?
    From: http://www.google.com/support/music/...nown_issues.cs

We're aware that it isn't currently possible to stay signed in from session to session with the Linux version of the Music Manager, and are working on a fix.
    n the meantime, other users have reported that they've been able to work around the issue by starting the program, and with the "-p" option followed by their password, it logs them in successfully without a windowed prompt asking for the password. /opt/google/musicmanager/google-musicmanager -p mypassword

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    Thanks to this thread over on Google's support group, I figured out how to fix the "Could not identify your computer" error.
    I've set the MachineIdentifier to my MAC-address, but the Google Music Manager keeps nagging me every time that my machine couldn't be identified.

Did anyone manage to solve it permanently?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay.Mathieson View Post
    From: http://www.google.com/support/music/...nown_issues.cs

We're aware that it isn't currently possible to stay signed in from session to session with the Linux version of the Music Manager, and are working on a fix.
    n the meantime, other users have reported that they've been able to work around the issue by starting the program, and with the "-p" option followed by their password, it logs them in successfully without a windowed prompt asking for the password. /opt/google/musicmanager/google-musicmanager -p mypassword

this solution works great for me! Many thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by smellyman View Post
    google taking over the world is not a good thing.
    Why not? Would you rather Apple or Microsoft? Google is without a doubt the most innovative large tech company out there, and give away most of their services/products. They've also been more supportive of Linux than most other tech companies... Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, etc..., most of these companies do not have a very good record when it comes to controlling what their customers can do, locking customers in, etc...

(when I say Google is innovative though, not talking about the music thing, they're just doing that to make the Android experience more 'seamless' in the way that Apple's iOS experience is...)

Beans

Question Re: Google Music Beta vs Linux

What do they mean with
    by starting the program, and with the "-p" option followed by their password
    ? (I can't open the webpage you linked, and i'm a newbie). It would be great if you could explain me the steps needed for the workaround
    I'm using Lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm not sure if anyone already answered the two-step verification problem , but I just found a link that was easy and helpful:

http://www.rogerethomas.com/b/110/ho...word-in-ubuntu

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by barrack View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone already answered the two-step verification problem , but I just found a link that was easy and helpful:

http://www.rogerethomas.com/b/110/ho...word-in-ubuntu
    I am using arch linux and this was almost the solution. google-musicmanager is installed via AUR, thus on the /opt dorectory. The file mentioned was there, but did not solve my problem. What I had to edit accordingly to the tutorial you mentioned was /opt/google/musicmanager/google-musicmanager.desktop

Any archers looking for a solution will find this helpful

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast