Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to 11.04 Blank Purple Screen

Beans

Upgraded to 11.04 Blank Purple Screen

I upgraded from 10.10 to 11.04 and now I have a blank purple screen. I have searched and went through some of the steps members have been giving, but haven't been able to fix the problem. I can get into the computer going through the grub menu, but when I restart I go through the same problem. Can someone please guide me through step by step?

Here is the computer that I have: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=3740326

Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgraded to 11.04 Blank Purple Screen

hi,

first i suggest burning a live-cd image or usb with the latest ubuntu and see if everything is working.

if everything seems to work you can let us know.

also it will come in handy in case you want to backup or reinstall.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

I burned a cd, just like I did when I first switched to 10.04. I put the cd in and it does the same thing. I even burned a 10.10 cd to see if I could go back and same thing happens.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What have you tried so far? Did you do this yet? This is from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

How to temporarily set kernel boot options on an installed OS (not wubi)

To set kernel boot options, you must edit your grub configuration. You can do this temporarily for a single boot by entering the grub menu. If you do not get to see the grub boot menu after the bios automatically, you may have to press SHIFT key after the bios logo to get in to grub:

Select the default ubuntu kernel (usually the top one), and rather than pressing enter, press E to edit.

Press DOWN ARROW until you get to the line that starts with

Code:
    linux /boot
    and press END keys to position your cursor at the end of the that line usually ending with “quiet splash”.

Now you can type in additional kernel options like nomodeset (please dont make the same typing error I made for this screenshot ):

press control+X to boot the modified grub entry.

Important: setting boot options this way only applies to a single boot. If you reboot the machine, those settings will be lost, unless you make them permanent (see below)
    Or this from here? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743386&page=4

I got it working on mine. I purged all nvidia files and did a command line reintall again, had it save the xconf, restarted, and then opened the compiz fusion icon and made sure it was on "Compiz", then reloaded the file manager.

sudo apt-get remove --purge nvidia*
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
    sudo nvidia-settings

(saved xorg config here, said default device was not a valid field)

sudo update-grub
    (had seen that this problem had once in the past been caused by grub booting the wrong kernel)
    uname -a
    (checked against the new grub file)

and then restarted and ran the "Compiz Fusion Icon" from applications->system tools
    in the icon that appeared in the taskbar, i clicked and checked it was on compiz, then had it restart the file manager. It reloaded into Unity, with the side bar, and compiz effects working perfectly. I haven't restarted or anything to see how it works, but at worst I know I can get it to run more than likely by putting the command to reload the manager at startup.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The information you gave us on your PC indicated nVidia graphics card. I had same problem with my PC with nVidia graphics. You need to use X.org drivers until nVidia driver you need is modified to work with 11.04

John

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    What have you tried so far? Did you do this yet? This is from http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

Or this from here? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743386&page=4
    I'm trying this now.

Quote Originally Posted by cigtoxdoc View Post
    The information you gave us on your PC indicated nVidia graphics card. I had same problem with my PC with nVidia graphics. You need to use X.org drivers until nVidia driver you need is modified to work with 11.04

John
    How do I do this?

Beans

How can I just go back to 10.10? This is really making me mad. I tried the nomodeset and when i tried booting, it asked me for my password. I put in the correct one and it kept saying incorrect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To go back you have to reinstall that version of ubuntu.

At what stage of the boot is it asking for the password? Do you have a different root password than user password?
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    To go back you have to reinstall that version of ubuntu.

At what stage of the boot is it asking for the password? Do you have a different root password than user password?
    I have tried installing an earlier version, it just goes to the same blank purple screen when use the cd. I am not sure what stage it is asking me for the password. I only have one password for the computer.

It's also very hard to get to that grub menu by pressing "shift", I think i have restarted my computer about a 1000 times today.

Beans

The only way I can get into the computer is get into that menu by hitting "shift" and choosing to use the previous version.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast