Thread: TEW-649UB stops working after an hour or so

Beans

Question TEW-649UB stops working after an hour or so

Hello,

I have a Trendnet TEW-649UB Wifi N dongle, and I'm using the latest Realtek firmware downloaded from their website. It works ok, but everytime, after an hour or two, the blue light turns off and the dongle stops working. I have to unplug it and plug it back to bet my network back up. Any idea why this happens? Please note that when it stops working, the dongle is very hot.
    Thanks,
    Charles.

Beans

Re: TEW-649UB stops working after an hour or so

Any idea?
    Charles.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: TEW-649UB stops working after an hour or so

I'll be watching this thread too. I have two 649UBs, both running on Thinkpads. One is an old R31, the other an R61i. Sometimes the 649UB running on the R31 (USB 1.1 ports) gets quite warm but never stops working. I've not been able to figure out the circumstance that cause the high temperature. It might be worthwhile to create a live CD or USB install of 11.04. The 2.6.39 kernel doesn't require any downloads, the device is supported from the get-go and I haven't noticed any hot adapters while running Natty. If you're put off by the Unity issues in 11.04, I find Lubuntu run from a CD or USB drive quite usable at least for checking your adapter.
    Last edited by walt.smith1960; May 26th, 2011 at 06:55 AM.