Thread: How do I exit conky?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question How do I exit conky?

Hello, I'm new to Ubuntu, having recently installed 11.04, though due to problems with the Nvidia graphics driver, I'm using Gnome classic (not sure if that is pertinent here). In short, I can't find a way to close conky, other than to terminate the process -which I'm not sure if that would hurt anything.

I read a quick internet tutorial (http://www.junauza.com/2009/03/insta...on-ubuntu.html) on configuring conky so after installing 'conky-all', I created the configure file. It seems to work fine, minus a few alerts in the terminal at startup of the app.

On startup of conky through the terminal, it was kicking back messages such as:

Code:
     Conky: use_spacer should have an argument of left, right, or none.  'yes' seems to be some form of 'true', so defaulting to right.
    and...

Code:
    Conky: can't open /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/uevent: No such file or directory
    Conky: can't open /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state: No such file or directory
    Conky: can't open /proc/apm: No such file or directory
    Sorry I can't cut and paste the original message but I accidentally closed the terminal before I could copy.

I pretty much figure that the latter messages are due to the fact that I'm on a desktop as opposed to a laptop so I'm not too worried about those.

However, the conky window that is showing, is really ugly (IMO) so I'm wanting to play around with the configuration file to get it just right and to match my Gnome theme. When I tried to change a few values in the configuration file, the same conky window just stayed on my desktop. I'm figuring it's because Conky has to be restarted. Is that correct?

I can't figure out how to exit conky so that I can make changes to the configuration file and then restart conky. Is this possible? Is there a command for exiting conky?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

--airspoon
    Last edited by airspoon; May 24th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: How do I exit conky?

You can type killall conky in the terminal, or just kill conky. Might have to sudo it, but I would try without first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

Alt+F2
    Code:
    killall conky
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Awesome, thanks to both of you guys. It worked! Will the 'killall' command work for everything else too? Again, thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by airspoon View Post
    Awesome, thanks to both of you guys. It worked! Will the 'killall' command work for everything else too? Again, thanks.
    yes. As will kill , and there is also xkill .
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface