Thread: Install ubuntu issues

Beans

Install ubuntu issues

I have a pc that was running windows xp. It has a sata hard drive and I think also cd, though that doesn't work. The pc is different inside to what I've seen before, the cables are just flat plastic strips and there is no power for ide though ide ports on the motherboard. The boot sector got damaged by a virus and so the drive no longer works. I have had it working within a usb external drive enclosure with no problems.

I want to install ubuntu onto it an dput it back into the pc but the pc cd drive doesn't work and the pc will not boot from anything usb even if I change the bios boot order. I have tried a external cd/dvd drive, hard drive and also a memory stick with ubuntu installed on it but it will boot from none of them. So I installed ubuntu onto the previously mentioned hard drive while it was in the external enclosure using universal usb installer, then I removed the hard drive and put it in the pc internally. Ubuntu then started fine. But does that run the same as running the live cd so I can't save any changes etc?
    When I try to install using the menu that comes up when ubuntu first starts I get as far as choosing partitions and putting in my user info but then it always get an error.. an exit error ?

Can I fix this? I have some pc knowledge but am new to ubuntu and linx in general having only used windows till now

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Install ubuntu issues

There is some info here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n#Installation without a CD
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Install ubuntu issues

Quote Originally Posted by 2steps View Post
    But does that run the same as running the live cd so I can't save any changes etc?
    yes.

When I try to install using the menu that comes up when ubuntu first starts I get as far as choosing partitions and putting in my user info but then it always get an error.. an exit error ?
    What kind of error? it is quite possible you can't boot from USB. have you tried chaning the USB key? i have one key that works and the other one my computer refuses to boot from eventhough another computer boots fine with the key.

flat "wires" smell like old IDE/ATA to me.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup