Thread: ubuntu into xubuntu

Beans

ubuntu into xubuntu

I want to turn ubuntu into xubuntu. I am currently running ubuntu with both xfce4, unity, and gnome2 installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: ubuntu into xubuntu

This: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu should help you - they also have information on removing Ubuntu (gnome) packages, so you could potentially have a more 'pure' Xubuntu experience.
    Ubuntu User #17241

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tenach View Post
    This: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/xubuntu should help you - they also have information on removing Ubuntu (gnome) packages, so you could potentially have a more 'pure' Xubuntu experience.
    Thats more or less what I have already. I remember awhile back that sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude install xubuntu-desktop
    I could essentially switch ubuntu to xubuntu (with xubuntu's optimizations and even icon pack) with list of apt-gets but I don't remember what it was.

Beans

ah, my bad. It seems I installed xfce4 package. Not xubuntu-desktop. Many thanks sir.

Beans
    Distro

You are quite welcome! I am glad that it is of help to you.
    Ubuntu User #17241

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

so what you are going to do is just install Xubuntu desktop and remove Ubuntu-desktop is that OK to do? you will also lose programmes and their settings.

i am asking because i am htinking of doing the same on the LTS. Gnome was fast enough on start but lately it 's been slowing down. so i was testing out Xubuntu. and it seems fine. I owuld liek to remove the gome stuff though - such as various applets that are now doubled (for example 2 battery monitors, two network monitors...) but keep the programmes.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro

The way my machine is currently running, I have yet to remove ubuntu-desktop and its components. I'm currently going through and evaluating what I do not want.

I think that this would be the only way for you to be happy with keeping the applications you want. As for the different network managers, I would suggest either looking through and removing the ones you do not want, or hopping into IRC and talking to the xubuntu people. I myself am not an expert with xubuntu.

You can join their chat with this link:
    http://webchat.freenode.net/?channels=xubuntu&uio=d4
    Ubuntu User #17241