Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eee-Pc 701

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Smile Eee-Pc 701

Hello out there in the land of Ubuntu General Help, I just thought for a moment and realised that in a years time there will be no support for 10.10 which is what I am using at the moment and it's a winner. Will I have enough memory to use 11.04 on such a thing "Eee-Pc with 4gb's"? The only application I use intensely is Evolution with it's Agenda & Ubuntu One synchronising just files & backing up my agenda.

Best regards & cheers...........

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Eee-Pc 701

If you don't have enough memory to use ubuntu, you could always go to XFCE (which is very gnome2-like) or LXDE (which is very light on RAM usage).

I use LXDE when I'm on battery, and compared to gnome with a lot of compiz effects, it really uses less of all your resources, even less battery.

Beans
    Distro

Cheers thats very nice to know I will take a look into it ........

Regards

Beans
    Distro

Is there a Evolution type agenda in XFCE & LXDE ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiewizard View Post
    Is there a Evolution type agenda in XFCE & LXDE ?
    you can check here:
    http://lubuntu.net/

i'm about to burn to usb, so i'll let you know in a bit.

email is sylpheed, so you can just install evolution from the repo.
    Last edited by kerry_s; May 24th, 2011 at 12:57 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Cheers ..............

Beans

Cheers ..............
    i actually just installed it, it pretty much does what i need.
    now i'm just tweaking it more to my tastes. working through the little quirks. got my share partition on the network, don't know why the share is not in the menu, you have to go to /usr/share/applications to find out it's there, you can use the run command "shares-admin" to get to it faster.

this is where i am so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello out there in the land of Ubuntu General Help, I just thought for a moment and realised that in a years time there will be no support for 10.10 which is what I am using at the moment and it's a winner. Will I have enough memory to use 11.04 on such a thing "Eee-Pc with 4gb's"? The only application I use intensely is Evolution with it's Agenda & Ubuntu One synchronising just files & backing up my agenda.

Best regards & cheers...........
    I've got an EEE PC 701 with 10.04 installed. If you like so much 10.10 then you can live with 10.04 and its support ends in 2013.
    MSI CR410X CPU:AMD V120 Video:ATI HD4270 RAM:4GB HDD:250GB
    Ubuntu 10.04 64bit/Windows7 Ultimate 32bit
    fixing plymouth splash screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As far as I know you need not more space on your hard disk to use 11.04 as for 10.10, so if you use 10.10 there is no reason that 110.04 will not work in that space. I think 3.5 GiB is the minimum space for an Ubuntu install, so 4 GiB is only just enough for only a basic install.

As someone said, installing 10.04 (really: 10.04.2 is the newest release) will be supported until April 2013, and may be the way to go. 11.04 is very experimental, and will only be supported until October 2012.

Topsiho

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Topsiho View Post
    As far as I know you need not more space on your hard disk to use 11.04 as for 10.10, so if you use 10.10 there is no reason that 110.04 will not work in that space. I think 3.5 GiB is the minimum space for an Ubuntu install, so 4 GiB is only just enough for only a basic install.

As someone said, installing 10.04 (really: 10.04.2 is the newest release) will be supported until April 2013, and may be the way to go. 11.04 is very experimental, and will only be supported until October 2012.

Topsiho
    And I spoke to someone with a netbook (don't know if it's an Eee PC or not) who said that he didn't have enough place for unity on his harddisk. So it does make a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast