Thread: Software Installation Problem in ubuntu 11.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Software Installation Problem in ubuntu 11.04?

i am totally beginner to ubuntu and i insttall ubuntu few days ago but when i go to install any software through ubuntu software center it shows the following message " Package operation failed The Installation or removal of software package failed" Can you tell me what is meant by this problem and how to solve it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Software Installation Problem in ubuntu 11.04?

What package are you trying to install? Say you were trying to install the Chromium web browser. Open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+t and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
    when asked for your password enter it and then copy and paste the output on this form. Note: use any package you want as long as you know the right name.

If it installs with no errors then we know that the package management software is working and its only the software center itself.

Edit: I did not notice that you were not using Ubuntu. The keyboard shortcut to get to the terminal may not work but you should be able to open up the terminal from the menu.
    Last edited by Mr. Shannon; May 20th, 2011 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by H A NAZIR View Post
    i am totally beginner to ubuntu and i insttall ubuntu few days ago but when i go to install any software through ubuntu software center it shows the following message " Package operation failed The Installation or removal of software package failed" Can you tell me what is meant by this problem and how to solve it?
    Hi, it is best to use synaptic package manager, see if that works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shannon View Post
    What package are you trying to install? Say you were trying to install the Chromium web browser. Open a terminal with Ctrl+Alt+t and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install chromium-browser
    when asked for your password enter it and then copy and paste the output on this form. Note: use any package you want as long as you know the right name.

If it installs with no errors then we know that the package management software is working and its only the software center itself.

Edit: I did not notice that you were not using Ubuntu. The keyboard shortcut to get to the terminal may not work but you should be able to open up the terminal from the menu.
    I write the same code in terminal but it shows following error "dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem."
    and please tell me how to know the right name of any software?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Run this command in a terminal
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm nearing the end of my knowledge so hofully some one else will step up soon with a solution.

Honestly, you should have never gotten that error. So something may be wrong. But, go ahead and run the command in the post above and see if it will install the package/s. At least you will have a way to install software then.

You could run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and see if it generates any errors.

As for knowing the corect package name, that can be found in the Software Center. Go to a package click on More Info then scroll down to Details and under Version the package name will be listed in parethisis. The other way to find the name of a package it through Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    Run this command in a terminal
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    I run this command but it shows following message "dpkg: error: parsing file '/var/lib/dpkg/updates/0017' near line 0:
    newline in field name `#padding' "

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shannon View Post
    I'm nearing the end of my knowledge so hofully some one else will step up soon with a solution.

Honestly, you should have never gotten that error. So something may be wrong. But, go ahead and run the command in the post above and see if it will install the package/s. At least you will have a way to install software then.

You could run
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and see if it generates any errors.

As for knowing the corect package name, that can be found in the Software Center. Go to a package click on More Info then scroll down to Details and under Version the package name will be listed in parethisis. The other way to find the name of a package it through Synaptic.
    After some processing this command shows the following error
    " E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. "
    so what should i do?