Thread: Missouri team IRC

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Missouri team IRC

I was reading through the Meeting Times thread and at the very end there was a bit of confusion as to which room should be used for meetings.

As a new member, I too was confused by this, and currently join both just in case.

However the potential for confusion is still there for others, so I got to doing some reading around.

On the page: Ubuntu Wiki - ChannelList, our team is listed at the bottom under the "United States Teams" section as #ubuntu-us-mo which would seem to be the preferred designation by the IRC Council according to the page channel naming conventions as such:

• LoCoTeam channels should be named #ubuntu-XX where XX is the 2 letter code of the country (following ccTLD conventions), and "ubuntu" being optionally replaced with any of the channel namespaces that the IRC council govern ("ubuntu", "kubuntu", "edubuntu", or "xubuntu"). LoCoTeam channels should be administered by the relevant LoCoTeam. If the LoCoTeam is a region team and not a country team, it's channel name should preferably be #ubuntu-XX-YY where XX is the country and YY the region.
    • LoCoTeams are allowed "sub-channels", which are to be named by appending -topic to the LoCoTeam's primary channel (#ubuntu-fr-chat for example). These channels should be administered by the relevant LoCoTeam
    • Don't create two channels for the same team or purpose, this is only confusing.
    However, #ubuntu-missouri seems to be the main channel in use and is the one referenced in the sticky thread "Information on the Missouri Team" and in a couple of places on the Missouri Team Wiki.

I would like to propose the idea that we move to the recommended #ubuntu-us-mo channel as the main entry point and place for our meetings to adhere more closely to the IRC Councils desires and minimize confusion.

Thoughts? Any major drawbacks towards a shift towards #ubuntu-us-mo from #ubuntu-missouri as the main place to be?

[edited some formatting issues]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Missouri team IRC

It's #ubuntu-missouri as the main channel for the Missouri Team.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Right, that came to be my understanding after a bit of time.

Have you any thoughts on the idea of moving from #ubuntu-missouri to #ubuntu-us-mo as the main channel so that we don't have two?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There is a eastern Europe set of lakes called the Missourian Lakes Region (I think) which is how the name came to be on Freenode and Ubuntu and that team went inactive (for now) which was my mistake in establishing the channel on the website and so forth. Unfortunately the webserver is in Joplin and I have not yet this morning checked to see if it is up and running still. I just did and it is still active. I will get back with you.
    There is a need for the reason mentioned in the first sentence to go possibly to ubuntu-mo since that team may eventually become active again. Something to consider and if and when we reach a group decision then I will post the relevant information on the Launchpad site.
    Write back here or email. We are still here for now but remember that I live in Springfield
    which tonight and tomorrow and tomorrow evening will be very active in regards to the weather which means I may not be able to attend the meeting which should be this week by our usual practices.
    It is clear and sunny and 68° at 11:10am but the forecast looks pretty rowdy.
    Matt write me back email if you would, thanks for the links and hope to hear from you soon.
    Windwalker
    do you have the link to our website? http://ubuntumissouri.org/
    p.s. cbarron lives in Columbia
    Last edited by Windwalker52; May 24th, 2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: cbarron's location

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I've been a bit out of pocket lately sorry, did the team ever come to a decision?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wink Re: Missouri team IRC

Please leave a sleeping dog alone. It will work to use ubuntu-missouri until someone complains or they finally get active again at which time they will kick the dog and we will move. Both are open for discussions and one is even ours however. Glad to hear your back, Windwalker

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Seems like the dog has been sleeping for a long time.

I was just trying to stir up some activity with the team. A small step towards approval. I figured this was a minor enough thing to chip at and discuss.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

May be time to give it a swift kick. Keep trying and I will see you tomorrow night depending upon the number of ground strikes in the area.