Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Report] Ubuntu 11.04 on HP Pavilion dv7

Beans

Re: [Report] Ubuntu 11.04 on HP Pavilion dv7

Quote Originally Posted by Deltik View Post
    It might. After all, the graphics problems I experienced with Ubuntu 11.04 were caused by the changes they made from Ubuntu 10.10.

A comment in this older post from Ubuntu brainstorm indicates that HDMI did indeed work on an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop computer.

I would test HDMI on my computer to my TV if I had time, but I'm leaving for a vacation tomorrow.

Besides, even if your external display problem doesn't get resolved, you'll still get the following benefits for going back to Ubuntu 10.04:

• Other graphics problems won't be present.
    • Faster booting
    • Stabler and cooler internal temperature
    • Increased performance
    • If you're fancy, you can also get cool Compiz effects.
    Awesome, can't live without my second monitor.

Thanks again!

Beans

I'm fairly new to Ubuntu as well. My questions are 1- is there any way to fix the problems of the core temp in 11.04 and 2- is there anyway to fix the HDMI connectivity problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by ninjajl View Post
    I'm fairly new to Ubuntu as well. My questions are 1- is there any way to fix the problems of the core temp in 11.04 and 2- is there anyway to fix the HDMI connectivity problem?
    1. The core temperature issue is directly related to a problem with the new kernel that demands additional power use. This is a high priority bug for the Canonical Kernel Team. Hopefully, they will get this resolved in Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot.
    2. From findings by austintexian, the HDMI connectivity problem is caused by AMD not updating their proprietary driver. I believe that he has already contacted AMD to get a fix for the problem, but feel free to contact the company on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by limzone
    can i use it as virtul windows mean on windows xp
    This thread is not the appropriate place to ask this question. Moreover, I do not understand your question.
    Ubuntu does run on VirtualBox on Microsoft Windows XP, and Microsoft Windows XP does run on VirtualBox on Ubuntu.
    As for HP Pavilion dv7 laptops, due to a kernel problem, your laptop could easily overheat from running a virtual operating system on Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal.
    I still exist as far as I'm aware, even though I haven't been active here since 2012.
    ― Deltik, 13 April 2016

Beans

I finally got Ubuntu dual booted. I'm glad I did some research on why 11.04 runs hot on my DV7t. I will be running simulations on it, so I imagine it will get way too hot.

Is anyone running 10.04 on their DV7t? I will reinstall tomorrow if it runs fine (I may just go for it anyways... I can't use 11.04).

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by weezilla View Post
    Is anyone running 10.04 on their DV7t? I will reinstall tomorrow if it runs fine (I may just go for it anyways... I can't use 11.04).
    There was a guide somewhere on the Internet dedicated to Ubuntu on HP Pavilion laptops. I remember reading that Ubuntu 10.04 works as well as Ubuntu 10.10 does on those kinds of laptops.
    I still exist as far as I'm aware, even though I haven't been active here since 2012.
    ― Deltik, 13 April 2016

Beans

Downloading 10.04 now. *Sniffle* 11.04 was so pretty. Will let you know how well it works first hand.

EDIT: Seems to be working pretty well with 10.04.3 x64 LTS. Definitely a speed difference.
    Last edited by weezilla; July 31st, 2011 at 06:39 AM.

Beans

Hey Deltik

I was just poking around in the BIOS and noticed there's a setting for virtual machines support, which is disabled by default (on my HP dv7t, anyway).

Were you aware of this setting? If not, do you think this might have something to do with the heat issues you were having while running VMs? That is, if you haven't enabled VM support in your BIOS?

Just a thought

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by austintexican View Post
    I was just poking around in the BIOS and noticed there's a setting for virtual machines support, which is disabled by default (on my HP dv7t, anyway).

Were you aware of this setting? If not, do you think this might have something to do with the heat issues you were having while running VMs? That is, if you haven't enabled VM support in your BIOS?

Just a thought
    I am very aware of that setting, and it has nothing to do with the heating issues while running virtual machines. I've already checked BIOS, and there's nothing I can do to ameliorate the problems of Ubuntu 11.04.
    ― Deltik, 13 April 2016

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Deltik View Post
    I am very aware of that setting, and it has nothing to do with the heating issues while running virtual machines. I've already checked BIOS, and there's nothing I can do to ameliorate the problems of Ubuntu 11.04.
    Bummer, but I'm not surprised. It seems that the BIOS in the dv7 barely lets you do anything more complicated then set the clock. I was looking for a way to disable switchable graphics at the BIOS level, but didn't see anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by austintexican View Post
    Bummer, but I'm not surprised. It seems that the BIOS in the dv7 barely lets you do anything more complicated then set the clock. I was looking for a way to disable switchable graphics at the BIOS level, but didn't see anything.
    Typical. Most BIOS are really terrible.

There is something about pcie_aspm=force that I found, and I have yet to try it out:
    Basic Information: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/comments/122
    Usage: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/comments/127
    A Test Result: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/comments/136
    Some Pessimist: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/comments/137
    Detailed Information: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/comments/141
    Last edited by Deltik; July 31st, 2011 at 04:03 PM. Reason: More information, then styling
    ― Deltik, 13 April 2016

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast